Wednesday, July 1, 2020

A Summer Hodgepodge




The Hodgepodge … 
what a great reason to look forward to Wednesdays!
(I'm soooo done with that camel, lol.)

Thank you, Joyce!


* * *

Are you currently making plans of any kind?  What kind?  What emotions are associated with the planning process?  Tell us about one plan you had to cancel due to the current situation which shall remain nameless. Ha!
This morning I finally decided to listen to my heart -- and called to cancel my pending cataract surgery.  Lots of reasons -- including the absurd pharmaceuticals' cost -- but the biggest is Montgomery's still considered a 'hot spot.' 
Tom's not entirely on board, but I'm super relieved ... comfortable with my glasses.  I'll just do my best not to drive after dark for the next year ... or three. (*smile*) 



Last time you saw stars, either literally or figuratively?
Not a star, but a while back, I stepped outside to see the International Space Station come by.  (Yes, I waved.)


Unfortunately, the skies here in Alabama can't compare to the amazing star fields above Arizona.  I used to love sitting out back, staring Orion's belt … pretending they were my 3 loved ones gone before, watching over me. 



Blueberries, yay or nay?  Blueberry pie, blueberry muffins, blueberry yogurt, blueberries by the handful … what's your pleasure?
I wouldn't say 'no' to a slice of blueberry pie!



Swim against the tide, swimming upstream, in the swim, sink or swim, makes your head swim.  Choose one of the 'swim' idioms listed and tell us how/why you relate?
All the conflicting theories how to stem the spread of C19 makes my head swim!  Honestly, I don't know what to believe.



Sum up your June in a single sentence.
Mick Jagger said it best -- 
"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need."



Insert your own random thought here.
On a lighter note! ...
In honor of National Creative Flavors Ice Cream Day, I'm going to try once more to master the wee  DASH ice-cream maker.  Unfortunately, I've little in the cupboard that lends itself to creativity.

Some of these examples, however, sound intriguing (if not disgusting):
Mashed potato ice cream, beer ice cream, olive oil ice cream, buffalo wing ice cream, goat cheese ice cream, strawberry jalapeno ice cream and candied bacon ice cream.
Anyone?

Keep smiling … keep safe!


Hugs, Myra

41 comments:

  1. I hope you can reschedule your surgery soon. Although I would agree with you that I would rather be at home than in a hospital at the moment. I have actually had candied bacon ice cream and it is good! My dad once tried tuna ice cream in Japan and I think that is pushing it too far! Enjoy experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuna ice cream? Ooooh, I think your dad gets the award for ICK-iest ever!

      Delete
  2. I was in absolute awe the first time I looked up at the AZ/NM night sky. There is nothing like that here in the east. It's so vast and amazing! I can always see Orion here, though. I always say hello to him. LOL Totally agree on the conflicting messages...and they all seem to make at least some sense. Sigh. About the ice cream...I think I'll take a pass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to describe, isn't it? Like seeing the Grand Canyon … you have to be there to experience it.

      Delete
  3. Have you tried garlic ice cream? Or fried onions flavour?

    Praying for your good health, and that of your family.

    God bless always, Mevely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, both of those sound good! Blessings to you and yours, Victor.

      Delete
  4. I can understand not wanting to do the cataract surgery with the virus but I can tell you that my cataract removal was the best thing that ever happened to me and there was Zero pain and zero any stress at all it was the easiest surgery I've ever had. And when I had the first I done I was so elated at the new world I could see you don't realize how bad it is until one is gone I could not wait to get the second one done. So don't wait long there's a whole new life waiting on you. I don't like to eat blueberries but I do love blueberry pie and blueberry muffins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your experience! Sounds like a whole new world just waiting to be glimpsed.

      Delete
  5. Yuck on those flavors!! lol. Glad you are happy with your decision...that’s all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! I agree -- 'yuck' is a great description.

      Delete
  6. Oh my on those ice cream flavors, I'll take good old vanilla with chocolate syrup on top. Maybe some whip cream too and sprinkled with nuts. I need to get my eyes checked as my old ones aren't doing their job anymore. I keep putting even that off. I'm so used to staying in, I hate to go out anyplace. Lots of opportunities for watching out for night skies and stars this month, yesterday was meteor day. Hope all continues to go well with the two of you and you are safe at home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sundae selection sounds perfect, Ma! My BF and I were just saying how we hate to go out anyplace these days. I hate feeling it, but everyone is suspect.

      Delete
  7. I think it's wise that you postponed your cataract surgery, Myra, considering all the mess we're in right now. All the news about the virus has me totally befuddled, too. I don' know what to believe! And I think I'll pass on the ice cream - lol!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the thumb's up, Martha Jane. That makes me feel better! Blessings in return to you and Danny!

      Delete
  8. Do let us know what flavor you come up with for the ice cream! I agree about the cataract surgery. As long as you can see during the day why put yourself under the risk right now. We saw the moon eclipse last week here; that was neat! I've pretty much stopped watching the news because really they have no idea with this Covid 19 or they are trying to let us think that to confuse us even more for their "evil" purposes (which I do fear is a reality).

    Happy 4th and stay safe!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still no ice cream -- today's thunderstorms don't lend themselves to my sweet tooth. In fact, I'm wearing a fleece sweatshirt! Happy 4th to you, too!

      Delete
  9. I think I'll pass on the ice cream thank you very much lol. I'm with you on canceling the surgery, just not worth taking any chances while this pandemic is still around. Have a great day Myra :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who actually eats those, I wonder?! The mashed potato one makes me want to gag. LOL.

      Delete
  10. You can keep those flavors, lol. And your thought about about the pandemic, personally, I think that is the point, to keep everyone confused. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know it was National Creative Flavors Ice Cream Day - I love peanut butter and chocolate tho.
    I agree with your cataract decision - I think it would be too soon for me too. I would pick blueberry pie.
    Sounds like both our heads are swimming!
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Have you tried the Cheesecake Factory's chocolate and peanut butter?

      Delete
  12. Well those are some of the most creative flavor suggestions I have ever heard, and I think I will skip everyone of them. Just give me Rocky Road, Praline, Chocolate or Vanilla drizzled with chocolate. To not be eating ice cream at all, I sure can imagine what these would be like to eat again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These almost sound like State Fair fried mystery foods, don't they? I'm right there with you on the praline!

      Delete
  13. You'll get it done when you feel comfortable. I had a call for us to make our yearly with insurance. I told the lady with my stage 4 COPD I'm not going anyway these days. My head is swimming too! I like your sentence! No, those don't sound to good to me. Costco has the best vanilla Ice Cream ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you, Debby. My doctor's secretary called today to give me a special number to call when I park my car, then to wait to be screened and called back when I can come in the building. Sounds as if they're taking every precaution.

      Delete
  14. Oh my some of those ice cream flavors are a scary palette proposition. Glad you feel comfortable about putting off your cataract surgery. Happy Hodgepodge to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No thanks to any of those flavors, Myra! They sound like Jelly Bellies! I enjoyed your Hodgepodge! So happy Joyce brought it back to us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can identify with the vast, starry skies that you had in AZ. I feel the same way about TX. When I lived in San Angelo I saw the space shuttle very clearly one night. It was headed for Florida to make a landing.

    And I used to gaze at the stars and think of my lost loved ones.
    Here in TN all I see are trees and clouds.

    I like blueberries - but I really miss California boysenberries.

    Those ice cream flavors are absolutely revolting. I bought vanilla ice cream today and am completely satisfied...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would try goat cheese ice cream - - my father would have liked beer ice cream...

      Delete
  17. Oh I did enjoy this one. But the ending I had to smile (or other) at the flavors. LOL YOur answer to the swim thing was spot on, enough to drive you up the wall.
    Of course plans are in the works but only vague/random times and directions. BUT it is fun.
    Love from central Florida.
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha!! Now that's funny! I'm sorry, but I think I'll skip the ice cream, but do you have any of that blueberry pie?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a little disappointed in my mini Dash ice cream maker. I don't want to use heavy cream and wanted to try less heavy concoctions, but they're not even close to ice cream. I'll give it another go (or two) but it's not a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Myra... I've just come across your blog, and wanted to say hello! I enjoyed your hodgepodge today... your answers were fun to read! I'm sorry about your canceled cataract surgery, better to be safe than sorry, as the dose is pretty miserable, I've heard from family who've had it. Your ice cream making concoctions all sound pretty interesting! So happy to "meet" you, many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Had my cataract surgery several years ago, glad it's behind me! No on the blueberry pie for me also, just not my favorite, and those ice cream flavors are a big NO too, lol....I'll just stay with plain vanilla. Happy 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I will have to have cataract surgery in the future. I understand you wanting to wait. I prefer real vanilla ice cream. Then I can add fruit to it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, the ice cream part--yuck. I, too, have put off pursing cataract surgery. It's ahead of us, Myra! Happy Fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think some of the surgery postponements are a great idea! I am praying my eyesight holds up because the rules at the eye doctor are insane. I'd be dead before I got into the exam room with all their silly rules. This is all to control us, the viruses come out of a lab but you do not know what the nuts running around are doing so I keep sticking by Jesus. If we go it will be because of God's doing. At least that is how I view it all. Too many signs pointing to GOD being unhappy with the world, to say the very least. Flooding in some countries, earthquakes, excessive heat. My grandmother always said God won't stand for all the evil forever. No coins? There is a coin shortage? Did they close the US Mints? Oh nope, gonna go cashless, more control. We have a bad heat wave so we are eating Popsicles. The good old fashioned ones we had as kids. Cherry and Grape and Banana. Tomorrow we will be installing a ceiling fan in our bedroom. The hubby and SIL will be putting together another garden bed. Zach is busy since the early morning hours making us some delicious brisket and Trip Tip and Ribs. Rebekah took my Sharon's Trifle and made a tribute to the USA and Old glory. I don't care who doesn't like it, they can leave. I LOVE AMERICA! I will post it tomorrow. We are eating like kings and queens today. We have tomatoes coming up and possibly a zucchini and squash too along with beets so I can't complain. Cut Garden Beans and Alaskan Peas. We will wait and see. We are waiting to eat our main meal. But if Nick doesn't stop sneaking in to taste test everything we might not get anything at all hahahaha! Vanilla ice cream is always a good choice because you can always add to it! Good luck with your little soft serve machine. I still chuckle over your first episode. Sounded like Lucy and Ethel would have done that too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My only Plan is to stay Alive during a Time of COVID, especially since I'm still Raising a Teen Grandchild, so gotta last at least another 4 Years she says... since her Gay Older Brother and his Partner don't want Kids so she said they probably wouldn't wanna inherit one to finish Raising! *LMAO*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!