Sunday, September 1, 2024

PSA

 










G'morning!

If you're already aware of "huge changes" coming in the HVAC industry, you can skip this. 
Then again, if you're like me and feel the need to check your home's thermostat several times a day, this may be food for thought.


The other day I woke from a nap to ask, "Is it me, or does it feel warm in here?"  Yep.   When I wasn't paying attention, our unit decided to take a break.   Already, I had visions of throwing a change of clothes in a bag and finding a (dog-friendly) hotel room.  Seriously.  I.Don't.DO.Heat.


Fortunately, when we moved here 6 years ago Tom signed us up for a 'preferred' agreement with the HVAC company that previously serviced our home.  Supposedly, for a nominal monthly fee, if we have an issue we're bumped up to the first in line.   


Sure enough.  Within the hour, a tech was standing at the door; a few minutes later his boss.  He correctly diagnosed and corrected the issue.   No charge!


Yet because I'd seen something my girlfriend shared on FB the day before, I had to ask, "Is this a rumor?  If not, what is XXXX doing to prepare (your) customers for this?"


Of course they were aware.  "As a matter of fact, our team was just discussing this."    


Because (a) we've been experiencing record heat and (b) at 5 o'clock they still had half dozen more stops, we set up an appointment to have the 'comfort specialist' come out on Tuesday and talk numbers.  I don't know what a warranty means anymore these days, but ours just 'graduated' out of parts and labor this spring.  


Here's an excerpt of what my friend shared.

If you're a homeowner or soon to be one, you might want to take a moment to read this.

They have made a change to the refrigerant in the AC systems.
The reason it's a big deal this time, unlike last time, is the suddenness of the change.  No crossover time to learn the new product.

The proper way when changing refrigerant has always been to replace the entire indoor and outdoor system to match.

However, in the event a customer was not in a financial position to replace everything at once, there was a way to mix-match and at least get them through until everything could be replaced.

The new refrigerant will not allow this.

He concludes,

If I were in the position for needing a replacement, I would rush to make the change before the change-over is mandatory.

No HVAC contractor asked for this.  Our goal is never to make things harder than they have to be.


Also, my friend discovered a (more rational) press release from the National Association of Home Builders. You can click here if you'd like.


* * *

Okay, I'd better start getting ready for church.  I hope everyone enjoys a beautiful September (yay!) day.



Hugs, Myra

    

34 comments:

  1. Interesting, we had issues when we were moving a couple years ago. They did not want to do a freon charge - they wanted to put in a whole new unit with this new gas. And we had two units! Yikes. $$$$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes is right! Whatever did folks do before air conditioning?

      Delete
  2. That is interesting. I'm not exactly sure what it means but each year we pray that our air conditioners will start. We have been in our house for 17 years. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far so good here. Since we live in a brand new house, I think we have the up dated system. The house isn't a year old yet. Hopefully every one is keep cool in this heat. Changing winds are blowing and soon it will be Fall! Hope you continue to keep cool. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen this and did go read the link, this will not effect our or yours, we got ours the end of 2020. they will be able to service as needed. don't waste your money, just repair as needed. extended warrantee do nothing but take your money. we went through the last change on the one we had and never even had an issue. this week our AC guy came, we have a one year that they come twice a year and service. this was our 2nd time and the price for another year had doubled. I told him we will probably be dead by then and could not afford to pay bills for what might happen.
    he said it was fine and he did add a little refrigerant . he showed me inside the barrel, the photo from a year ago and th e one now and said see those shadows? that is mold. we can clean it out and put in a black light to keep it from coming back ever again. oh boy., the price was 600 to clean it and 700 for the black light. I laughed and said we have live 80 year and 40 of those in this house and never had a AC that killed us. we do not want it cleaned.
    ignore and I would not even talk to the guy, if someone has to have an appt to tell you about something it is a high pressure sales person to take your money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points! Ya, we already told him we're not in a position right now to replace the whole thing.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the information. Ours seems to have been manufactured in 2017, so hopefully we'll get at least several more years out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danny used to work at EPA as the Energy Star rep for his region. He told me about this change a while back. Ask your wonderful HVAC folks what they think you all should do in the interim. My advice? Start saving $ for it now.
    Hope you have a great week, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm gonna touch the 3rd rail.
    Our A/C guy has warned us about all kinds of deviltry the current Admin is doing. The Left are trying desperately to make those of us who are Free Thinkers and apparently to their sick minds, are parasites on the new god Earth, creating all kinds of green house gases. They want us to not have A/C nor heat so that we will be more "compliant" to their devilish desires of "saving the earth". They've already made it where the A/C compacitor will only last a couple of years and WITHOUT WARNING is set to fail. *boom* Thank our Dear Leader for such as these.
    Better pray and vote so that President Trump can get back in office and stop a lot of this nonsense because there will be more and it will get worse. 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right there with you, Pam. Praying and voting!

      Delete
  8. Wow, and I just had HVAC folks here and they didn't mention anything. My unit is still under warranty for another three years. Always a ticking clock. Love ya! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Do you suppose they know about it, yet?

      Delete
  9. We just got a new unit and its under warranty for 10 yrs. Yes, the extreme heat will do it. I will have to check into that, thanks Myra. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy for y'all, Linda! 10 years has got to give you peace of mind.

      Delete
  10. Nope, I had not heard of the new refrigerent. But I understand present units can continue to be used and repaired. But I put these units in over 25 years ago and most likely will be hit hard since we have 2 complete units. (2 condos). I wish I could give some solid info here, but it seems Madsnapper might be ont he right trail, but as I said, I am so out of date I was totally in the dark. My A/c man was the best, but he retired and has been out of the business for a few years now...

    I will be checking on our situation also.
    Love you lady and hug the guy from South Chicago, NO Not Leroy Brown!!! Love from NC for a couple weeks more. (If I learn something of import I will let you know..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for weighing in, Jack. What with your background, we put a lot of faith in what you learn.

      Delete
  11. I can't comment on air-conditioning; but we recently needed replacement to water heating and we were told of new regulations which meant more work, and costs, than what was envisaged by just an annual maintenance and service contract.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the words of the late great Gilda Radner, "It's always something."
      I'm sorry to hear; perhaps your experience will appear in a future Fr. Ignatius book.

      Delete
    2. I'm writing another novel right now!

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  12. We had to replace our unit last year due to its age and it died, period. Caught on fire even. So we had no choice, but now we shouldn't have to worry about the refrigerant thing for a long time, Lord Willing. Yeah, it's always something, and they don't build anything to last anymore, especially appliances. Praying yours holds up for another 10 years or more. I still wonder how we all lived back in the dark ages before AC, you know, when we were kids? Somehow we survived, but our body chemistry has changed and I don't think we'd make it today. We may all have to move up north where they don't need AC. LOL. Love ya girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing! (When we were kids, I mean.). Praying!

      Delete
  13. When I was a kid before we had air conditioning I think we just accepted that summer would be hot, and we would be hot right along with it.
    Now? I am not so accommodating when it comes to being hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've long held, the ways to warm up (when we're cold) are far more pleasurable than those to cool down.

      Delete
  14. Very interesting. I am thankful that I happened upon your blog and to have been caught up on this news. Here in Texas, the temps are sooo hot and it seems that many of my friends are having issues with air condition. I sure want to pass this on to them. I think it is even safe to say that we all need to closely read the warranties...they have changed as well.. thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and saying 'hi'! I hope you'll come back again.

      Delete
    2. I enjoyed....thank you for stopping by my blog. hope your day is wonderful...

      Delete
  15. Hmmm, I hold my breath every time the AC goes on. I hope it will go on. We have it set pretty high to crank on at 84F. In the mean time we have ceiling fans and several tower fans to help us survive. Fortunately we don't have much humidity so that helps.
    New regulations for everything and if you live in CA like me, we are being sent to the Poor House in every aspect of our lives. I really don't know what we are going to do. I sincerely hope my VOTE counts, but it won't get rid of our Gov. Pray he never gets into the White House (which is his goal all along)
    Wow, sorry, I shouldn't do a political rant but it is what it is...
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you, girl. Mine's a rant-safe blog, so feel free! xo

      Delete
    2. You're my kinda people! We have the twin of your governor here in Colorado..he is Jewish and yet hellbent on going to the bic "C"! I rant too and I know I need to pray harder. I pray our votes count, God bless you.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!