... Yes, I know. It's already Wednesday, but Labor Day Monday messed up my timeline. (Doesn't take much, jus saying.)
Thank you, Annie, for welcoming me back to Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4 gathering! She begins,
The Autumnal Equinox is September 21 and it is the actual beginning of Autumn. Many, however, consider Labor Day as the unofficial opening of the Autumn season of the "Ber" Months.
🍂
What's on your reading list for September?
I'll finish Spider's Web (Mike Omer, Police Procedural Manuel) pretty soon, but there's a chance all my fingernails will be gone. I've not been this engaged (in a thriller) in a long time.
Murder in the Monastery
I was delighted to hear the doorbell yesterday, signaling the arrival of Victor Moubarak's 'Fr. Ignatius' novel from across the pond.
Thank you, Victor!
Hill of Secrets
Thank you, Sheila Y, for remembering where I grew up -- and telling me to look for this Kindle freebie!
Does your favorite reading nook look anything like the one in the above picture-- or do you wish it did?
Most of the year my 'nook' is the recliner/couch.
Soon, however, I'm praying the weather will cool significantly and I can hole up out here -- at one end of our sunroom.
Can you name some books you've read many times? Do you recommend them?
I'm sure there were several, but this is the only one that comes to mind.
An 'only child', I may have had a teeny girl crush on the sisters.
And let me tell y'all ... having seen their (ca.1971) act in Las Vegas, there was little resemblance to anything on Lawrence Welk.
I should do this!
Which of the classics have you read? Goodreads offer a list of classics they recommend here.
Honestly, I'm happy to have left 'required reading' behind'. I've little interest in most of these.
I'd like to know who actually decides what makes a Classic. (Sure, I could Google the criteria, but I'm too lazy to bother.)
🍂
Okay, then. We've got silly errands needing done this morning; then at some point we'll celebrate our 20th anniversary at Long Horn. How on earth did 20 years just seem to evaporate?
Don't blink!
Myra




Happy Annivesary! Hope your night out is fun! I'm always reading and my favorite place to sit is the porch. I'm enjoying a new rocking chair there. We had rain early on and it's still cloudy so it looks like we'll be getting more. I read a lot of free books on my Kindle. I joined Kindle unlimited for a small monthly fee and have read many good books there.
ReplyDeleteWe've been enjoying some cooler days here. The rain has provided a relief from the heat. Hope you can soon enjoy your sunroom! Love, ma
Isn't Kindle Unlimited the best? Rock on, dear lady!
DeleteI love to read but now my MoJo seems to be off and I can't stick to it. I have 2 books ready to read but they just sit there. One is the Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance and the other is Maria's Scarf by Zoro. Zoro is a drummer that has attended our former church. Its his life story and testimony.
ReplyDeleteI haven't read a good thriller in ages. Maybe I will have to check out the The Spider's Web and Victor's books.
Interesting comment on the Lennon Sisters. Always watched them on Lawrence Welk.
Used to love Nancy Drew as a child and all of the Ian Fleming series of James Bond 007.
Happy Anniversary #20. Enjoy Long Horn. Love a good BBQ steak.
Sue
Thank you so much! My name's on the library wait list for Elegy, but I may break down and download it first.
DeleteI blinked and I am 80 tomorrow! OMG! Happy Anniversary, we are double your 20 and wow talk about don't blink, I was 40 and now 80 .
ReplyDeleteI did the read a book I read as a child and into my early teens, over and over. Tarzan and the City of Gold, I wore the covers off of it. a few months ago I decided check it out on Kindle and there it was and I started to read and thought what was I thinking...
I did the same with Knight in Shining Armour I read it about 4 times over years.. I tried it on Kindle and could not read it.. I have never read a classic book that I was not forced to read, Little women, Tom
Sawyer, a few Mark Twains. I like UN classic books best. Can't read the one you are reading because of the buried alive thing, I can not and never read one with that in it. also I decided a few months ago I was done with serial killers. I hope I never meet one
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday deeeeeear Sandra, happy birthday to you! (And many more!)
DeleteSame here....Monday being a holiday, messed my mind up. Our granddaughter had a Volleyball game last evening and we were no shows. I thought it was Monday all day long. Happy 20 year Anniversary!! Hope you enjoy a good steak. We love Longhorn! Right now I am reading "The keeper of Stars". Not sure how I missed this but I'm just now reading it.
ReplyDeleteThank you! "The Keeper of the Stars" sounds like a character from the old musical Carousel who said, "A year on Earth is but a second in Heaven." (or something like that.) I love the thought!
DeleteHappy Anniversary to both of you, Myra!!! Danny and I will celebrate our 20th on April 2 of next year, so you beat us to the punch - lol! Have a wonderful time at Longhorn and enjoy every day together with which God has blessed you!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! Blessings to you both.
DeleteHappy Anniversary! A beautiful milestone. You are blessed reading Victor's book. Let us know all about it. I saw people arguing at Goodreads hahaha saying Harry Potter is not a classic. I think it depends who you talk to. I have not read the entire series but even Nick has! He is not the best reader to corner and read a book. He has lots of discussions with Rebekah and Zach. Zach loves Harry Potter. I have wanted to go to Longhorn. Yum they have food food. Enjoy and take care. Love & Hugs to you and Tom.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Anne! Did you know, many of Victor's books are available free to download. Check him out on Amazon!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYou are welcome on the book suggestion. When I saw it I knew I had to let you know. My most re-read book- Coal miners Daughter. I also have the audible version read by Sissy Spacek. Happy Anniversary to you and Tom!! (I accidentally hit publish on my previous comment before I was done. Ha)
ReplyDeleteLoved the song, but was ignorant there was a book. I'll have to check it out!
DeleteThere’s also a second book called Still Woman Enough.
DeleteI liked the Lennon sisters too and I like Lawrence Welk - guess I am weird. Also, you are right - you can read a book at different ages, and you will see things from a different perspective!
ReplyDeleteNot weird at all! 🤗
DeleteFirst of all, Happy 20th Anniversary to you and Tom. Wishing you great happiness, good health, many wonderful returns and whatever else you desire.
ReplyDeleteI hope you enjoy my book "Murder in the Monastery".
I thought the Lennon Sisters were related to John Lennon. (I've just been told I'm an idiot - so I guess they are not related - perhaps just friends).
I've read the dictionary at different stages in my life and my perspective of it has not changed. But the plot changes every few words!
Keep smiling always and strive to be happy. God bless you both and your family.
Funny fellow! Thank you so much for your sweet and sincere wishes.
DeleteI loved The Lennon Sisters and need to look for that book. Sorry to be a day late getting here, but I enjoyed your answers, Myra! Happy Hump Day!
ReplyDeleteYou're not late ... I was! Happy re-retirement day!
DeleteI did enjoy our visit to your house. Oh yes the Lennon Sisters definitely among the top. I am into Westerns for the past year. I have read hundreds. Many Westerns are like a long chapter in a top of the line writer. But I enjoy them, I have needed something to keep me from reality. LOL
ReplyDeleteLove you lady, from the couple here in NC for another week.
I think reality's often over-rated. 🤔
DeleteLove y'all right back!
thecontemplativecat here. I recall re=reading books from my youth. My grandma gave me an adulterated copy of Little Women, and I read that so many times. Then, when I was older, I discovered the full version of the book, and I re=-read that too.
ReplyDeleteI loved that one, too!
DeleteI loved the Lennon Sisters. I may have to check out that book. I agree with you on the classics. I have no interest in that either. At this point, if I start a book and just can't seem to get into it, most times I just put it aside and don't read. There are too many books that I like to read and life is too short, to spend time reading something I don't like. Happy Anniversary to you too!
ReplyDeleteSame here! So many books, so little time!
DeleteLord Jim ...exactly!
ReplyDeleteI've been disappointed so often by movie/television adaptations.
I am running behind too, and just getting here! I enjoyed your post. Oh, yes, The Lennon Sisters! Required Saturday night program at our house. I did enjoy watching them. They had a Las Vegas act? I never knew, but then, I've never been there. I wonder if they are still living and singing? They should be getting pretty old by now, cause look how old we are and they were older than us! LOL. Happy 20th Anniversary you two! I hope you had a wonderful time!! God bless you dear friend. I love your posts.
ReplyDeleteThey were the warm-up act for Andy Williams -- but just as good. I think 3 of them still perform, together with their little sister.
DeleteI enjoyed reading your answers. I haven't done Tuesday 4 in a long time. Hope your weather cools off soon. We have been around 110 degrees the last few days. Enjoy your weekend.
ReplyDeleteYikes, that's TOO hot, Debby! Have a great weekend.
Delete