Friday, May 31, 2024

Friday favorites

 


Never did I imagine an ordinary kitchen object would bring me joy.  But there you have it.
Like that popular FB meme that dares us to acknowledge.  Yes, we have a favorite stovetop burner.  Ha!

 


Back in the day, I was all about matching plates-and-saucers, etc.  While I still enjoy setting the dining room by seasons, that's not Everyday.   No, I've become like the fabled Florida restaurant, known for its deliberately mis-matched plates and silverware.  (Sad, I never had occasion to visit Chalet Suzanne.  Did you?)


Like a former boss, I'm prone to choose a bowl/cup/glass based on the way I'm feeling at the time.  I don't think Tom cares one way or the other; his usual plate of choice is paper.


Here's my new favorite salad/soup bowl

... found at an estate sale last month.

From an antiquities (thrift) shop, once I got home I discovered I didn't like the way it felt.  (Does that make sense?)

Now? I usually find it on Tom's side table in the morning, with shmears of dried ice cream on the bottom.
Patterned bowls aren't just for children anymore!




These 'old friends' still give me all the feels.

My father's 'Cheetos' bowl has become my go-to for Conecuh sausage-and-eggs ... 

... while mother's coffee cup holds the perfect amount of nuts when I'm in the mood* for a Pistachio supper.
(* more often than not!)





I love them, but the time's come to gift these wine glasses to my granddaughter, Chloe, and her new hubby.

A wedding gift to my parents, my paternal grandmother was mortified when she looked closely at the design.  She was so embarrassed to have been the one who purchased them!



After I was confirmed (age 14), my parents would include one of these at my plate on Sundays.  First itty-bitty heels ... first taste of wine.  Those were the days, hahaha.







Have you a 'special friend' in your kitchen cabinets?
I'd love to hear about it!


Hugs, Myra



 












 


30 comments:

  1. I really like this post. I have a favorite coffee cup that fits my right hand perfectly , especially on rainy or overcast days when I wake and it's stiff.

    I inherited my MIL's china. I have multi sets of it, but have a great niece who has the same first name my MIL did. Since I am trying to get rid of things, I decided I need to give this to her. She is only 13 but we all know we will blink our eyes and she will be grown. Meanwhile her parents live in a large house with enough room to store it. (At least that is my way of justifying things)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be very particular.about choosing my dishes, cups, and glasses - - most often to suit my mood and the seasons. Lately I don't give a hoot what I use......and paper plates are sounding better all the time.

    .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your new bowl, and have laughed all the way through, you and many others have favorite dishes and cups and change up as the mood desires, many decorate with dishes.
    I have 3 soup/salad bowls, plain white, and 3 black. the black are larger so used for cereal.
    they have been with the plates I bought in 1990 and that is all the dishes I have. I have used the same coffee cup since my other one broke and i hit the thrift store and got 2. 40 years of marriage and Bob has had 3 coffee cups and I have had 4 only changed when one breaks.
    I assume this answer the question do i have a favorite bowl/dish/cup. I may have mentioned before, I am more like a male than a female.
    I think it is wonderful that all of you love your dishes and treasure them.
    I do like my three big pots that are the same age I am and came here to be used daily when mother died and daddy did not want them. in fact the pots and pans i use are all hers except for one pot and all our frying pans. I did buy them. no pots are my favorite I must say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd kept some of my mother's Revere pots!

      Delete
  4. Can't quite see the engravings on that wine glass.

    That bowl with the cockerel - you need to get it valued. It looks like an antique to me.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a silhouette of a naked lady in profile, blowing what looks like a flute.
      I'll have to put the 'lens' app to that bowl!

      Delete
  5. That's funny because I've got a favorite burner too. The wine glass is pretty. Hadn't thought much about it but I have lots of favored coffee cups. My go-to cup lately is actually 2 cups large with cardinals on it (cardinals ... imagine that ... lol). I really like our "new" pine cone patterned plates set. (Google "Wild Wings Pinecone 16 Piece Dinnerware Set") I wish I had a couple more plates from the set but can't find a way to order any individually. Gotta kazillion coffee cups. Don't need anymore. Such a fun post.💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always remember how mother loved those cardinals. I'm going to remember to look for that Wild Wings Pinecone when visiting estate sales. You never know!

      Delete
  6. I love what you shared. I tried to comment earlier but I was anonymous. Now I showed up as Debby. Reading from my phone, didn't take my computer with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger has been acting veeery weird lately.

      Delete
  7. I do have a favorite coffee mug with a familiar face on it that I use every morning. No, it's not a photo of Danny or me, so I'll let everyone guess who this well-known person might be. :)
    The wine glasses are lovely, and I'm sure Chloe will appreciate them so much.
    Blessings always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like I need one of those coffee mugs, too! (*wink*)

      Delete
  8. I loved how you shared your favorites. I don't have too many except my coffee mug. I broke it and got an exact duplicate. What was on the crystal cup - I enlarged it and didn't see anything bad on it to be embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember, this was back in the 30's and my grandmother was probably born a prude. It's the silhouette of a naked lady playing the flute (?).

      Delete
  9. The wine goblet is quite unique! I've never seen that design, but I bet they might be valuable! You would have them appraised! I'm sure your granddaughter will love them. I do have some favorites and I tend to go through spells where I like one thing better than another and then switch. Oh, you mentioned Revereware pots and pans. I DO have some of my mother's revereware pots, and I LOVE them! I also have John's grandmother's iron skillets, and I love them too! They have to be at least 100 years old, and still going strong. The Revereware has to be over 70 years old! They just don't make good stuff like that anymore. I enjoyed your post. I've been thinking about writing about my pots and pans, etc. for a while...so I may do that soon when I don't have anything more exciting to share! LOL. I love stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you will! Every little thing has a story.

      Delete
  10. That should have said "You SHOULD have them appraised". Not sure how that happened. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your wine glasses are beautiful. I hope Chloe loves them!! My current favorites are plates I purchased to use for my church group dinners. My Pfaltzgraff are so heavy and cumbersome but no one likes to use paper plates. I use these daily!! Here is the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Homienly-12-Alternative-Dishwasher-Unbreakable/dp/B0C8NRXCN3?pd_rd_w=YXyxG&content-id=amzn1.sym.f061c8a0-31dc-4633-a68c-9c1f3dbf502f&pf_rd_p=f061c8a0-31dc-4633-a68c-9c1f3dbf502f&pf_rd_r=K3X0P80KCMZKDABTEB7T&pd_rd_wg=3aVYZ&pd_rd_r=6cc6d132-80fb-4552-8021-f5eec49d1521&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_csi_rtpb_bap_sim_0_t

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me about these! I think we need these, too.

      Delete
  12. Yes, my large pasta bowls which hold my dinner most nights, my wonderful thermal mug that keeps my coffee hot for hours.. my mother's flatware with our family initial on it "K". They are just the right look, the right weight, the prefect fit for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, it has to be something that feels right to us. Nothing fancy, but it feels like home.
    ---Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with you, that it has to feel right. I bought a new coffee cup not long ago, because none of the ones my daughter had felt quite right to me. This one does it! I had a collection of Chicken dishes and loved them all but couldn't move any. One lady bought all of them. She said she had a shop called Roosters and bought them to resell. I like your new bowl very much, it's something I'd choose. Nice you're giving some of your treasures to your granddaughter. I gave some to my grands too! Hope you have wonderful June, filled with lots of blessings! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ma! That "Roosters" shop sounds like someplace I'd sure be drawn to. I hope your collection finds their way to a super home!

      Delete
  15. Oh I do too... I think I have written about my favorite coffee cup on another blog post.
    I think I will get busy and make a new "happy" post talking about all my favorites in the kitchen too.
    I really do know what you mean about the feel of some plates and dishes..I'm right there with you sister..(:0)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!