Thursday, May 9, 2024

Changes in Attitude .....

 

..... changes in latitude!
(Remember that Jimmy Buffet classic?)  


So, you might ask, what prompted this flashback?

Day before yesterday I tried a new stove-top recipe for Parmesan Garlic Mushrooms.  (Intended to be a side dish, we postponed grilling the pork chops and consumed the whole skillet full.)

I smile to myself, reflecting how, for most of my life, I loathed mushrooms.   Like tomatoes.  I could spy my meal and pick out the tiniest morsel of offending matter.     |

'Not going so far as to say I'll actually eat a tomato sandwich, but isn't it curious how our tastes evolve with the years?    Music ... fashion ... even political.  (Nope, not going there!) 


Who remembers color-coordinating their 'undergarments' ... choosing handbags that matched our heels  ... when silk stockings were the norm.  I still have several pair -- and unlike some -- don't consider them uncomfortable.   Rather, I tend to agree with the blog friend who remarked:  "I think women who wear dressy outfits without wearing hose look unpolished."



Because tennis shoes have replaced my heels, these days I take pains to find fun socks that match my top.
Imagine my delight to win a blog pal's recent give-away!

Best-est ever!



All this to say,

I'm reminded of a 1994 writing exercise, my favorite teacher/mentor presented:

Thought Completion

When I was .......
By the time I was .......
Now that I am .....


Either publicly or privately, how would you answer these prompts?

Time's a thief!


🧡


Postscript --


Long before the internet (my siren song), I adored attending the Personal Life Story writing program.  There's still a thick, battered notebook secreted in my desk drawer -- crammed with exercises and references ... even 'report cards.'   For example, "You really could make this easier for me, Myra.  If you'd flub up once in a while, I'd have something to contribute to your effort besides the cheers I wholeheartedly have for the communication coup you're accomplishing."


30 years later, M's words still make my eyes water.  I wish she hadn't been taken so soon, that I might tell her what an effect she made on my life. 







Hey, it's almost Friday  ... hang in there!
Hugs, Myra


32 comments:

  1. When I was - 5, I wet my pants onstage at a kindergarten Christmas play and was mortified. It ended any hope of an acting career for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even older than you, I identify with that kind of humiliation.

      Delete
  2. You deserve lots of accolades for your writings. I only poke at writing while harboring grandiose aspirations. 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm not anything special. I love the way you 'talk', like we're right across the table from one another!

      Delete
  3. I start out all Gung Ho in the journaling department and then its months before I realize I haven't written a thing. That's why I really appreciate the blog. It forces me to write some things for memories later.
    Your poke made me think about a time when I was about 9 or 10. I was in the Brownies and we were suppose to go to the local TV station (black and white and really corny beginnings of television) The MC was asking our troop various questions live. When he came to me he asked if I was going to go out and sell the Girl Scout Cookies. I promptly said NO.. (I couldn't tell a lie). I guess I didn't realize that Mom had all of our friends watching to see me, The Celebrity...
    I was so embarrassed, I bawled all the way home.
    I had to promise the MC that I would sell some cookies to help the troop. I promised live on TV and died inside. Sold a few to Mom's friends but hated every minute of the selling process.
    Whew..what memories bubble to the surface now and then.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too precious! How I love your 'true confession' on live television! Thank you for this grin on my face.

      Delete
  4. As a child, I was possibly the pickiest eater on earth. Nowadays I'll eat anything. I even tried rattlesnake once, when I was fortified with booze. Trust me, it doesn't taste like chicken........
    I love mushrooms and tomatoes - - but only if they're fresh!! The tomatoes from Walmart taste like they were made by Mattel.
    I'm old enough to remember when women complained about getting runs in their stockings.
    Ah, creative writing......what would I do without it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even under the influence of spirits, there's no way in h*** I'd try rattlesnake!
      Yep, there was always a little bottle of clear nail polish in my bag to repair a runs. Those hose were expensive!

      Delete
  5. Bob was born in 1936 and has told me many times of watching his mother put on nylons like the photo with seams down the back, and pull up the garter and roll down to her knees, because all her dresses and that is all she wore were mid calf. I myself hated nylons from the day they were invented and the dreaded panty hose were even worse. I prefered the ones with a garter belt, then they cam out with Thigh tops at Sears and I loved those, and all the years I worked at the job i retired from, the company required hose at work. since i wore pantsuits i wore the knee highs from Sears and when I retired in 2006 i threw them all away but a few that have not been worn, the knee kind. the panty hose dont work for over 200 lbs people. my first job in 1962 just out of high school i was so thrilled with hose and garter belts and those darn 3 inch spikes with pointed toes.
    Now I know why i have always admired the way you write. yours is sophisticated, mine is down home Georgia cracker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lady, I'm soooo far from sophisticated. Thank you for your kind words -- but I really wish I could communicate more loosely. Don't go changing, okay? I love your way of talking!

      Delete
  6. I had a creative writing class in high school, and I loved my teacher/mentor, Mrs. J. I hope she knew how influential she was in my life. I will always remember her with love and thankfulness.
    And I love those socks!!!
    Blessings, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good teacher who leaves footprints on our hearts is a blessing!

      Delete
  7. My parents insisted I go to a finishing school called Patricia Stevens in Chicago on Saturdays. We had to learn everything about matching, how to put a bra on, fencing (?), and much, much more. I resented it at the time - but I must say it made a lady out of me. Sounds like you too.

    Didn't have all the writing skills you have though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of those schools, but never knew anyone who actually attended. Can you imagine what young girls would say about that now? Ha!

      Delete
  8. I still prefer to wear pantyhose if I am wearing a dress. They help support my tummy and behind and keep it from looking so lumpy...and help hide the veins and ugly old legs, and my shoes fit better and feel better if I wear hosiery. I am in the minority I know. I once went to the Dollar General in a panic because I needed a new pair of pantyhose, and they don't have them. I even asked the clerk where they were, and she said nobody wears them anymore! I said, well, I do, and I need some! So I stocked up when I went to our local "Roses" dept. store. Maybe if I could get my legs to tan they wouldn't look so bad, but all I do is freckle, and that's been the bane of my life. LOL. Yes, food tastes have changed. I can barely stand the sight and smell of bananas anymore, unless they are barely ripe. LOL. I enjoyed this post and hearing you share these things. That writing course you took sounds so wonderful. That explains a lot about you and your ability to write and make us smile and feel right at home with you. And also make us think! I like the 1994 thought completion questions. I may have to think about that and use it sometime. Thank you for sharing this. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pam, you and I are so much alike! My legs have never tanned, either -- and I hate the purple veins and white scars. I still wear hose for the same reasons you cite. That way my feet don't sweat in shoes and my thighs don't stick together ... hahahaha.

      Delete
  9. I don't miss wearing stockings but will say that when I wear a knee-length dress, I do wear them because it just doesn't feel right with bare legs. That said, I can't tell you how long it's been since I wore a knee-length dress or skirt. I wear slacks or maxi skirts. What great affirmations you got from your teacher regarding your writing!! She was right, you know!! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love maxi dresses/skirts!
      In retrospect, my efforts (in class) were cringe-worthy, but I really appreciate your words.

      Delete
  10. Well ... what can I say? I have NEVER worn stockings or pantyhose. But I do like wearing different colour socks on each foot - like red and blue etc ... Call me original! People always ask me why; and I say it's because I have a similar pair of socks at home which I'll wear when these are being washed.

    When I was ... young, life was so different than now. We did have our difficulties and problems but at least we had hope and managed to go on.

    Now that I am ... whatever age I am; it seems to me the younger generation seems to have lost hope, focus and a moral compass. This makes me sad.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I worked for the accounting office we had a client who wore mis-matched 'lucky' socks for those days he had to meet the IRS.
      Pray for today's youth!

      Delete
  11. I stopped wearing panty hose and skirts when I retired 30 years ago. Slacks and sensible shoes are it for me. I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Long gone are the days of panty hose or stockings for me. I no longer wear them, even with a dress on. Right now I'm getting some tan on my legs, thankfully, because it's too hot to wear hose. Other wise I stick to pants until I'd get some tan on my legs. I do love dresses in the summer time that let some breeze up my legs! I do love both tomatoes and mushrooms, they are a treat when they are fresh out of the garden, but I eat them often from the grocery store. Hope you continue to cook up those delicious 'side dishes'. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ma ... it sounds like Texas is being GOOD to you.

      Delete
  13. It is nice to have known an 'M'. Everyone should have that privilege. Of course we enjoyed the post. And tastes, yes we are so different we humans, set up by our past, parents, and LATTITUDE! To me the flavors of mayo, loaf bread and tomatoes is tops. Of course bread mayo and a banana ain't bad in my book. LOL

    Love you lady. /good stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, one of these days I'm going to try me a 'mater' sandwich. xo

      Delete
  14. Thanks Myra...I stole your post. LOLOL- Have a great weekend friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what you did with this theme, Linda!

      Delete
  15. I still wear stockings! They just make your legs look better and I don't feel properly 'dressed up' without them. You are very talented in the writing department, I struggle. {{sigh}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you struggle I sure can't tell! I feel like I'm sitting across the kitchen table from you!

      Delete
  16. I love mushrooms. I have some in the frig right now to eat with hummus. I don't really coordinate anymore. Hooray for winning those cute socks. Those are interesting questions. I'm not sure how I would answer them. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!