Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Tuesday 4 ... What's Cooking?

 

Welcome, welcome! 
Who's ready for another round of Toni Tadeo's Tuesday 4 questions?


Annie asks, "Could we discuss cooking and kitchens today?"


How did you learn to cook?

At my high school's Home Economics cottage.

I wasn't very good ... but that where I excelled?
Let's just say, my parents grew weary of finding people to gift jars of my grape jelly!


(Identical to that apartment kitchen where I grew up -- copied from Realtor.com)


Owing to the size of our kitchen -- and the fact my father worked second shift -- little cooking took place.  A normal supper menu included your choice of pot pie, TV dinner, grilled cheese or hamburger.

I suppose I presumed everyone else did the same.



Do you have a favorite cookbook?

For sentimental reasons only, those belonging to my mother and grandmother.







  These days, Facebook and/or television are my go-to's for new and novel meals.



What is your cooking specialty?

Cheesy meatloaf .....
Missippi Pot Roast.....
Hatch Green Chile stew



Is your kitchen well suited for you; and if not, how would you improve it?


It's not designed for two persons -- and I've love more cabinet space -- but that's not a priority.

If I won a HGTV make-over (ha!), I'd love having a big farmhouse-style kitchen and feature something like this:






Postscript!
(May I add a postscript?)

It's been a while since I did a give-away.
Nevertheless, I'd love the opportunity to re-home this:


I remember buying it on a lark.
It's not new, but I never actually used it.

Quoting the publisher, "..... a celebration of American food from the 1920s through the 1950s, a salute to the days of lunch counters and the times when Sunday dinner was hearty and special."




If you'd like me to add your name for a chance to win, please let me know in the comments!
I'll do a drawing next week and announce the winner Friday the 17th.




'Til next time ... have a great day and please, stay safe.

Hugs, Myra

















29 comments:

  1. It is amazing how much of life occurs in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our lives often revolve around our kitchen and the foods we eat and prepare. Danny keeps a big, and I mean big, notebook of recipes from food channels or relatives that he knows are winners. I love that he does that! Please keep him in your prayers as there is still no word as to when he will get his brain MRI done today. Blessings, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny's notebook sounds like a treasure map!
      Praying you'll have good answers regarding that MRI sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  3. I think everyone enjoys YOUR answers. I learned to cook by trial and error. LOL
    BUT kitchens? I have built a lot of kitchens but only twice did I put in my favorite thing, the kitchen Island stove and sink. I have always loved the idea, but have NEVER put one in kitchens I have built for us. Maybe next time, and I can hear Sherry ask, "WHAT next time?" Yeah I guess for sure I am thru building. Anyway we did enjoy the entry .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack! How I'd love to have you design and build us a kitchen island ... perhaps bump out that counter on the left?

      Delete
  4. I guess I learned to cook in Home EC too. I did cook along side my Mom but I remember asking her how do you know when its mixed enough or how do you know how much to add...her answer was When it feels right or looks right...big help!!!
    I would love to have more counter space and cabinets.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's funny! I think much of my own ancestor's knack for cooking skipped a couple generations.

      Delete
  5. SO, are those real books with knifes jabbed in or fake books with slots. that is my question. I love the look

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kitchens are the heart of the home, I always say. Maybe that's why ours is so small because I OK'd it (i.e. Grinch heart). lol
    How super cool that you have all those old, handwritten recipes! What sweet memories that must be. I wish I had some like that. My family was not known for it's astounding cooks. Nobody got sick but also no one ever bragged about how wonderful everything was.
    The Meatloaf and the Pot Roast sound delish!! I'll be right over ... lol
    Our kitchen is teeny tiny too but that's OK. There's only the two of us. Since Steve does 99.9% of the cooking it's no problem. I set the table, get everything ready, pour the drinks, then clean up. It works for us.
    Blessings. 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a win-win! Com'on over ... you're welcome anytime!

      Delete
  7. I used to love TV dinner night...when Mom had to go away for a meeting or up north to visit her parents without all of us, or sometimes just for fun on Friday night. I loved those things, and wish they still made them the same as they did then. Maybe they do...I haven't really checked in a long time. I think the meatloaf was my favorite, and the fried chicken one next. LOL. It was considered a real "treat" to have one. I love your old cookbooks. I do have some old ones that were my hubby's grandmothers, but I have never really used them. A lot of my cooking has been make it up as you go with whatever bargain meat you found on sale. LOL. I love both of your kitchens, old and "new". Glad you participated in this one. It was fun to go back and remember...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meatloaf, yessss! The kernel corn, too --- best enjoyed on a metal TV tray in front of the Ed Sullivan Show. It's yesterday once more ....

      Delete
  8. You have a wonderful kitchen, Mevely.

    In past years schools over here did teach cooking and sewing, knitting etc ... for girls, and woodwork and gardening for boys. Now it has all stopped. I did woodwork at school; and gardening too.

    I learnt to cook by trial and error. I made the errors and the family had the trial of tasting it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I've made more than a few errors, but the dogs don't care.

      Delete
  9. Sounds good, but don't touch my coffee maker or the microwave!
    I'm not sure, but think those are real books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not sure if it is the same recipe, but we also enjoy cheesy meatloaf. It is so good!
    That cookbook of your moms is beautiful. What an heirloom! Loved your answers! Have a nice week. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I never thought of it that way... I guess it really is an heirloom!

      Delete
  11. Loved your responses, Myra, and would love a recipe for your cheesy meatloaf! You can add my name to the drawing please. It looks like a fun book to read through! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking, Terri! I'll send an e-mail shortly. 😋

      Delete
  12. Thinking about this, I do not remember when I started cooking. My parents have home movies of me standing on a stool and stirring when I was about 2 1/2. As the movies progress through life, there are more movies where I am stirring or baking. I can remember being able to get a meal on the table by the time I was in the 6th grade.
    My mother always said I liked playing with kitchen things more than I liked toys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No fancy cooking here. We do most of our cooking in the microwave, the rest in my Instant Pot. Our gas stove isn't vented to the outside so I had them disconnect it years ago, I was sensitive to the fumes. We love it, but it's to everyone's taste.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can add my name. What a great cookbook! As I got older I don't go to as much trouble cooking either. I always try for one pot or pan. I hate doing the dishes~ Thanks so much for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You name's in the hat, Annie! Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  15. That looks like a great cook book but we do little cooking these days. So, I'll not put my name on the list and hopefully someone who would use it will win. I would love to redo my kitchen too, at this point in my life it'll never happen. Hey, a girl can dream . . .☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed reading your answers and your cheesy meatloaf sounds good. I like my Fannie Farmer cookbook.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!