Wednesday, March 26, 2025

Springing forward

 


... to where the action is! Hodgepodge, that is!
Thank you, Joyce!











Spring has officially sprung (in the northern hemisphere anyway) ... did she roll in more like a lion or more like a lamb in your neck of the woods?

March in Alabama is so unpredictable!
Mother Nature's book-ended us with a little of both.  Just so no-one grows complacent, ya know?


What needs more of your attention in terms of a good spring clean this year -- yo0ur house or your garden/yard?

Despite our good intentions, the back yard is seriously in need of professional rehab.  Tom's unable to do the heavy lifting anymore and frankly, I'm not inclined.




What's put a spring in your step lately?

Not gonna lie ... there's little-to-no high stepping going on.
I may be the only soul on Planet Earth who's not excited by the arrival of Spring.

Nevertheless!  As I reluctantly transition the bedding, bath and clothes closet -- even the hand soaps (Gingerbread to Snowdrop*) -- I say a little prayer:  Create in me a clean heart ... and a new outlook. 

I've no doubt He'll do the rest.




When you were a kid, what was the best snack to find in your lunchbox?  If you didn't do the lunchbox thing, tell us what was your favorite after-school snack.

Most days, my little brown bag contained the same things:  A little bag of Frito's corn chips, accompanied by waxedpaper-wrapped bologna on white bread with a shmear of margarine.

Even as a girl, I was more drawn to salty v. sweet treats.




In what area of your life are you planting seeds?

Each Monday morning at Bible study.
Whether it's part of the lesson plan or something one of the ladies shared, I come away with a new perspective, a desire to grow.




Why do you live where you do?  Would you consider living somewhere else?  Why or why not?

I'm usually apt to say, my 'line in the sand' occurred the afternoon I left work and the actual (v. feel like) temperature in Phoenix was 121 degrees.

A tipping point, yes -- but I'd been leaning towards relocation for several years.  During Toms' cancer treatments/after effects, I was away from home 10 hours each weekday; we felt little support from his grown daughter and son.  (Like Linda says, just keeping it real.)  
Our biggest cheering section and unconditional support came from my son and family, right here in Alabama.

Of course there were other contributors.  Looking back, so unimportant, but I've no regrets.  The only other place I'd consider living is central Florida -- close to friends and only a day's drive to Coosada.




Insert your own random thought here.

My car really needs a professional wash.
Except










'til then!
Hugs, Myra









______________________________

*Despite its name this (Snowdrop soap) has a light, refreshing aroma -- totally unlike the cloying floral fragrances popular this time of year.






34 comments:

  1. You had some really great reasons for relocating to Alabama, Myra. Family support is everything, especially when we get older. Yes, March weather in the south is always unpredictable, and I'm looking forward to things settling down in April and May. The car wash? Why bother when the pollen is already here - LOL! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa on the quote on "Tomorrow" That's for sure...Just keeping it honest.
    Family support is so important. I am so grateful for our son and family that live close by and for our son and family that live in Oregon. Even though Mark lives 12 hours away he and the family keep in touch and we try to see each other at least once a year.
    I have no desire to live anywhere else than where we are now in the Sacramento greater area. Love the weather most of the time, Love our house and love the friends we have made.
    I do need to get back into a women's bible study. When we changed churches many things changed. Kind of feeling a little scattered now.
    Lunch during school times was either brown bag or lunch box that seemed to always have a leaky thermos.
    I loved and still do love Dill pickles. Mom would often put one in my lunch..this was before zip lock bags. Sometimes everything would be soggy from the juice and the wax paper. Sandwiches were probably bologna too. That was way back in the Dark Ages for me to remember..haha
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Myra...aligning my tires in the car wash gives me anxiety too. yard works seems to be the #1 thing in this hodgepodge question. We have soooo much pollen that no one around here wants to be outside. looks like it rained yellow around her. I love Texas, but I think I could be happy in the Eastern side of Tennessee, only if our family came with us. Happy Happy Wednesday...Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about Alabama having weird weather - GA too. I imagine most people have to clean out their backyard and inside.
    Why don't you like spring if I may ask?
    What is in Coosada?
    I agree family is important when you get older IF they are willing to help! Sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coosada? It's home! I don't DISlike Spring so much as I miss Winter.

      Delete
  5. NORTHERN Central Florida is a great place to live! We are about an hour + north of what would be called central Florida, and I would not want to get any closer than that. The traffic is horrendous in that area...way too many people. Where we live is much calmer and quieter and more rural, but we have a major city within 45 minutes either direction for hospitals and shopping. A smaller city within 15 miles for the basics. Suits us just fine, and of course we moved here because our kids were here. If they ever move, we will too. At this stage in life we really need to stay close to our support system. Thankfully I don't remember ever taking my lunch to school. School lunches were affordable at 25 cents a day, and they were hot and delicious! We had full meals with meat, vegies, fruit and homemade rolls. And some kind of cookie or cake for dessert. We were really blessed to have really great "lunchroom ladies" who knew how to cook! LOL. The only part I didn't like was that we had to drink white milk. I hated milk and there was no other option. Not sure how I survived that. LOL. Oh, the car wash, I totally understand. I can't do it. If hubby couldn't do it, we'd never get the car washed except with the garden hose. During Pollen season it's a necessity to get it done every week or we can't see where we're going. I enjoyed your post as always. If you ever do decide to come to Florida, let me know!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interlachen sounds like an ideal spot, like us in Coosada -- close to major shopping and healthcare. Your school lunches sound wonderful!

      Delete
  6. Oh my, I'm always perplexed about getting those tires aligned! Yikes! Glad you found a supportive place to live. Studying God's Word is a great way to plant good seeds! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. reading your blog and others today that joined in the hodgepodge, makes me feel like I did in highschool, I thought I was like on one else and now I feel the same way...
    spring cleaning and switching towels and scented soap? All our towels are white, bob uses dial soft soap I use ivory liquid in a soft soap throw away, and a bar of ivory soap in shower and on my sink.
    you said you might be the only person on the planet not excited by spring, and I am with you on that. I used to until 2020 love nov-june, now the hate starts Now, 85 today but doable but the heat gets hotter and sooner and I dread the next 6 months really dread them.
    the only place I would move to is St Pete to be closer to Dan and Michelle. I used to think other places might be safer but now I don't know of one that doesn't have weather issues at one time or another. signing off before I kill your readers with my doom and gloom..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Doom and Gloom" has its place, girlfriend. Hugs!

      Delete
  8. thecontemplativecat here. I can't do the garden work that I've done in the past. Balance and falling are serious issues in my life. Seeing a neurologist tomorrow to go over last MRI. Pray for me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think support as we get older is so important. I know I'm happy to have a daughter living nearby now. I feel the same about my Bible Study group. Such a gift. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m still laughing about the nervous system and the definition of tomorrow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spring is late over here. It is very cold today.

    Oh ... and there's a lot of work to do in the garden too. I'll leave it for another day, week, month ...

    God bless always, Mevely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I say a little prayer: Create in me a clean heart ... and a new outlook.

    I've no doubt He'll do the rest."


    Amen. Oh, this truly blessed me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel the same about our back garden sometimes, not inclined to do anything out there.
    hahaha! I feel the same about car washes! They are scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only consolation, I probably provide them (workers) with a reason to laugh.

      Delete
  14. That is exactly how I am feeling---I am gone 10 + hrs. a day...etc. If I can figure out to be a beach bum and still make money, sigh...or at least have some sanity back, sigh. ANYWAYS, wishing you a lovely day, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I often have to pray, "Create a clean heart in me, O Lord . . .and renew a right spirit within me." I actually prayed it as I was typing!! I didn't know that was why y'all moved to Alabama. Your 10 hour days reminded me of when my daddy was in the hospital with cancer and my step mom worked all day at Alabama Power and then went straight to the hospital, where she spent the night in a chair in his room and then showered in his bathroom and did it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. March came in like a lamb. Who would think I got to enjoy some warm weather the first day o March. Most of days have been sunny and 80 degrees. Spring is my favorite season. I love how everything starts growing and turning green. Wild flowers have started blooming in the fields here in Texas. I no longer do outside work or plant a garden, but I hope to have lots of flowers here on the porch here in containers. Coming from Ohio to Texas has been my best move. I now live with my daughter and her family and I love being here! Sounds like you made a good move too. I hope you continue to love it. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you love Texas, Ma! It will always hold a special place in my heart.

      Delete
  17. Your are definitely working on things in the house. Mark does take are of our yard and I would never be able to do it. The Fritos do sound good. I'm glad you are going to Bible study. I'm thankful your son in Alabama helped you doing Tom's cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Myra, you cracked me up with your comment on my post. HaHa..you are the only one to get it RIGHT ! (:0)
    Happy Snapping
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!