Monday, March 3, 2025

Another Pleasant Valley Monday

 



Good morning, friends!


Normally I'd be off to Bible study ... but due to some ladies' Life Alerts (unavoidable commitments) we're taking a little recess.


Since we talked last, yes.  Tom and I decided there was nowhere else he'd like to go for his birthday than back to Long Horn.  

Followed by a pedicure... and a necessary nap!

Our second runner-up's not going to happen until after my dental appointment tomorrow.  A consolation prize, if you will ... not dissimilar to times my mother would take me to Baskin Robbins for not biting the dentist. (lol)



Our days have been mostly unremarkable.     


After several disappointing starts, I cried "Uncle!" and deleted most of my Kindle Unlimited titles.  Who needs that kind of guilt staring you in the face when you open your tablet?  I've dropped Kindle Unlimited and added my name to some promising-sounding reads at the Public Library's ebook queue. 



I've also been experimenting in the powder room.  (Nope, I'm not trying to trim my bangs again.  Ever.)

Have you ever considered the evolution of a plum?  A plump juicy plum eventually becomes a withered, wrinkled prune.   Heralded by many of a certain age, prunes aren't so attractive.   Same as my face.


Aside from her signature red lipstick, my mother never wore make-up.  And because I'd no older sister or friends to school me in the subtle art of cosmetology, my early attempts were less than stellar.  (That doesn't mean photographic evidence doesn't exist, but I won't be publishing anything.)


So we were recently watching something forgettable on morning television about this year's "hot" new colors.  The stylist was decorating a someone's eyelids with greens/blues/mauves.  Tom remarked, "That's like putting chrome on a rusted automobile."  Ha!


Anyway I've finally adopted the philosophy, "less is more."  I've ditched ebony eyeliner

 for a gray crayon, lubricated with a little coconut oil.

I'm still fascinated with brows -- or my lack of.  I recently watched a tutorial for "mature women" that I'm trying to copy.  Sometimes I worry I'll look like a caterpillar's taken up residence on my face, but ya know what?

It's all fun.
As I've said before, I can always serve as a bad example.     



In spite of Great Intentions to behave in a productive manner, yesterday morning I felt a touch of flu.  Chilled to the bone, I took to the loveseat under 2 quilts and 2 little dogs for 2 delicious hours.  Thankfully, that not only prevented me from yard work, I recovered in time to enjoy the delicious rib-eye and buttery asparagus Tom prepared.



To borrow a term from my favorite speaker (Jennifer Rothschild), this week's looking to be "unfun."

Following tomorrow's obligatory dentist, we've Tom's Pulmonologist on Thursday ... plus the girls' Pro-Heart injections Friday.   Somewhere in between, the fence man and painter are coming by to give us what I pray are reasonable quotes.   I'm both relieved and a little sad that Tom's come to the conclusion some projects are better left to younger men.


It's all good.  After all, this is my favorite month and I'm gonna look for that soul sunshine all over the place.


Have yourselves a good'un!

Hugs, Myra

32 comments:

  1. Kudos for growing past the biting the dentist phase! Enjoy the pedi!

    I ditched the dark eyeliner also for a much softer brown. I do still wear it because without it my eyes look almost like Little Orphan Annie's of the old comic strip.
    I also learned taupe was the color for my extremely sparse eyebrows. However, I have to be very judicious with the application or I look like I am trying to emulate Betty Davis as Baby Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOL! I presently vacillate between med. brown and blond, but will look out for the taupe.

      Delete
  2. Biting the dentist, huh? The dentist I used to go to as a child was a jerk and biting him crossed my mind a few times!
    Just the name Long Horn sounds good. We went to Cattlemen’s on Friday with my son and his wife. It was delicious.
    I had a laugh about being fascinated with eyebrows…so have I. Being blonde, my eyebrow never showed and in the summer I had Santa Claus brows so I had to use the old red eye brow pencil by
    Maybelline. I’ve had eyebrow envy ever since!
    Enjoy every day of your favorite month! ☘️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty, I don't ever remember biting anyone. But because my parents maintained (that) the Novocane (shot) would hurt worse than the drill, I'm sure it crossed my mind.

      Delete
  3. My mother never wore makeup, either, except for lipstick; I had to learn how to "look good" on my own - LOL! Now, at 70, putting on makeup is a necessity when we are going out anywhere. Glad you both enjoyed Longhorn, too. We love that place, too. Blessings, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not a lone ranger, Martha! Blessings!

      Delete
  4. I so enjoyed your post today.. I too suffer from non existent eyebrows, being fair and strawberry blond hair which is just pale now. I laughed at Debby's description of Santa Claus eyebrows in the summer..That was me too. Now all I wear is lipstick..just lazy I guess.
    Hope your week goes well and all the appointments turn out the best. Our week will be mainly Blah...nothing on the agenda except grocery shopping and the usual housekeeping chores. At least the sun is shining and we are both feeling about the best we have in a long time..yay..
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that funny?! Some days I don't even bother with lipstick ... lazy, party of 2! (*grin*)

      Delete
    2. I was reading some of the comments and it brought back a memory. when I was working...way back in the dark ages, I worked with an elderly (at least to me she was) woman. She obviously did her own makeup and her eyebrows...oh my... She looked like a cartoon and always looked like she was in a perpetual state of surprise. Heavy arched cartoon-ie penciled eyebrows.. I really don't think she could actually see what she was doing. She was a dear but oh my, that makeup..
      Sue

      Delete
    3. Oh, that's funny! Occasionally I, too, remember former co-workers and the impressions they made on us 'younger' folks.

      Delete
  5. Best wishes and prayers for all your visits to the medics. Why is it we don't like visiting medics yet we're glad they are there.

    "That's like putting chrome on a rusted automobile." What a brilliant quote. I think I shall use that sometime. I wish I had thought of it.

    What is Kindle Unlimited titles? I have a few Kindle books I have purchased, but find it difficult reading from the screen.

    Happy Birthday, Tom.

    God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Victor! Here's what Google has to say about Kindle Unlimited: " ..... a monthly subscription that gives members access to more than 4 million digital books, as well as thousands of audiobooks, comics, and magazines." It's not particularly expensive, but 80% of the content isn't so appealing (to me).

      Delete
    2. 4 million books? I'd have no time to do anything else in life with all that reading. Perhaps I should wait until they make them into films which I can view with subtitles (closed captions) on; then I can claim to have read them all.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  6. I like your makeup and the one you have made up in the smiling photo of you and Tom and you are in a red dress and red hat, that is the makeup i like best.
    I wore makeup when i worked, and went really light on it when i retired, only wearing it when OUT somewhere like church or eating out. not while shopping. I changed to powder only and now because of horrid allergies make up is painful, eye make up of any kind makes eyes burn and itch and real make up does the same. i wore all of the above to the last funeral i went to and could not enjoy talking to all my family because of the burn/itch thing..
    you know how much i love my kindle unlimited, and it is a rare day i don't read an hour to 2 hours on it. but why pay for it if you don't read a lot. I am wondering if Victor and you are reading on a kindle reader or on a kindle fire. If i had to read on a fire i would not be able to... the reader is light as a feather and i can make the font big and bold. what will you spend the money on? ha ha enjoy your next consolation prize...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That 'red' photo is one of my favs, too. Gosh, almost 7 years ago. The one I'm reading on now is the Kindle app on my Chromebook ... too big and bulky.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a nice birthday plan. Sorry about your Kindle books. That's how I am feeling about my face. Glad you're feeing better. I'm happy to hear you say "It's all Good."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don’t even wear lipstick. Being an octogenarian has its perks. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed when I read how fast you recuperated to eat that ribeye! Goodbye flu. Haha. I enjoy watching makeup tutorials for mature women. It is fun and I feel less alone in the process of growing old with all its disadvantages. Hope you get some real good quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with your appointments, Myra! I have a few coming up this week and next. My calendar will never be without doctor appointments, I'm afraid. But even that is a blessing. Love and hugs to you, my beautiful (!!!) friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, I'm glad you recuperated in time for the ribeye and asparagus! That sure sounds good to me too! Re: eyebrows, etc. I wear an eyebrow pencil from Avon called "Tawny", which is kind of a medium brown, and I put it on sparingly in the bald spots. LOL. I do wear some eye shadow, a bluish shade that I just lightly brush above my lashes instead of an eye liner, and then I wear a waterproof/wash off AVOn mascara, black. They used to have one that was brown/black, which I preferred, but it's not there anymore. I use Covergirl clean liquid make up to cover the spots and baggy under the eyes, and lipstick , oh and a kind of light rosewine colored blush (avon). I normally put this on every day unless I am sick and don't care what I look like. It's all very light and natural looking, but without it I look like I'm sick even if I'm not, so for the sake of not making others gasp when they look at me, I wear it. LOL. Hubby says he doesn't know the difference, but I do. So there. Regarding books, etc., I don't do a Kindle or any E books. Just never have liked them. I love the feel of a real book. But lately I haven't been doing much reading. Just can't seem to settle down to it. I have enough trouble keeping up with reading all my blog friends posts. That's enough entertainment for me! LOL. I always enjoy your posts, and your forehead eyebrow picture is great. You have great bangs! Have a blessed day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny girl! Thanks for this good info from the (affordable) cosmetics aisle.

      Delete
  12. Awe...you sure made me smile with this post! Could it be that you were pretending to feel ill in order to get a delicious ribeye and asparagus cooked by Tom? JK...I hope you are feeling better. Have you ever noticed how thick eyebrows get on a man as they age? And for us ladies (especially those who have had thyroid issues forever) keep getting thinner and thinner. I've seen some pretty ridiculous eyebrows lately.....but I guess to each his own. I was so tickled with about the plum and the prune. I feel like the prune right now...dry skin. lol. Hope all your appointments this week are good...Fun, fun post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've been another thyroid warrior for more years than I want to count. Good point about old men v. women's brows!

      Delete
  13. I gave up all makeup (except for lip gloss) during COVID. I was never any good at it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mention what we gave up during COVID. (Like Lent, only different!) I stopped wearing earrings and now the holes have grown back together.

      Delete
  14. You are going to be busy beavers this week with all the doctor appointments. I have weeks like that, and I don't like it. I miss staying and relaxing at home. Happy birthday to your husband - I love Longhorn's too - glad you got better from the flu so fast. And lastly good luck at the dentist and have fun with the pedicure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!