Welcome back to Toni's place!
... and what an invitation when Annie says, "This week is all about you!"
Okay, then!
For the purposes of this game, I'm referring to 'childhood' as that happy, carefree time of my life before our family moved to the north community where I began 5th grade.
Were you an adventurous child at all?
Not even a little!
I don't know that my parents were so strict as (they were) over-protective.
I can't recall specifics, but there was an undercurrent that Bad Things might happen to little girls who strayed too far.
What were some of your favorite places to go when you were a child? Amusements parks, Movies, restaurants, zoo, etc.
Other than the movie theater, there was little in the way of entertainment. Of course, there were churches and a bowling alley -- which I was forbidden to visit.
On special occasions my parents took me to Fuller Lodge for dinner. Otherwise, there were no restaurants or fast-food places. We'd have to drive to Espanola or Santa Fe -- but that wasn't a big deal. Unlike today, eating 'out' was more for nourishment than entertainment.
Thankfully, my father was big on taking summer vacations .. his '53 Ford Crestliner eating up miles across these United States.
What games did you play outdoors? Indoors?
As a young girl, I like nothing more than exploring the canyons with my father. P.F. Flyers on my feet and armed with a shoe box, I delighted in discovering lizards and horny toads.
Imagination was a big part of the 'Chapel kids' game play. My father made me a wooden stick rifle; a few years later stilts. (I was a lot more coordinated then than I am today!)
Indoors? I loved television.
My BFs included Roy and Dale, Fury and Flicka, Rin Tin Tin and Lassie.
..... and who can forget Huntley and Brinkley? Good night, Chet ... Good night, David.
Where did you grow up and do you think it affected who are you today?



I liked reading about your childhood, learned a few new things. I liked all the tv shows you mentioned and daddy never missed the news and I liked that news cast better, it was only ONE hour a day sometimes 2 and now it is on many channels all day long and they talk so fast I can't understand them..
ReplyDeleteI watched reruns of those shows because we did not get a TV until I was 15. we did go next door and watch Dragnet and Highway Patrol, our whole family went there to watch those two, in 1957 and 58. I think any place we move to transplant ourselves, child or adult, changes us in a lot of ways
You're so right! I'm layers of all the places and people I've loved.
DeleteSounds like you had a very nice childhood. That brings a smile to my face. Adventurous was my middle name as a tot! Still am to a certain extent, as far as finances and health will allow. I had zero fear of the unknown. That characteristic has stayed with me. Being away from the house was better than staying home and enduring whatever foul, dangerous mood the Old Man was in. His demons were real.
ReplyDeleteI grew up in Titusville, Florida (1956-74). We had roller skating, bicycling, cinema, places to swim and "get lost" in the woods for hours. That part was great. I even enjoyed School because I wasn't at home. The 18 years I lived in Jax I almost went crackers. Now we live in the country and I still don't like cities or neighborhoods. Even small towns are too much. I like living were I can burn my trash, shot my guns, have yapping dogs all around and do yard work without any interference. Just call me Rebel. *giggle*
Hope your day is wonderful.
Hey Rebel, would you lend me some of your moxie? I'm weary of being a coward. (lol)
DeleteA great childhood, indeed! We lived in a great neighborhood with lots of friends to play games with indoors and out. One of my favorites was kickball. Since my dad was a college teacher, we lived in suburbs, but still had lots of trees and woods to explore. Fun times!
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Myra!
That sounds wonderful, Martha!
DeleteI am so thankful for my wonderful childhood. I am an only child but there were many neiighborhood friends and some of my best ones were from our church. Church was the mainstay of our lives. Parties, company all the time and loving camping and being out in the mountains and among the trees.
ReplyDeleteGoing out for Chinese Food Sunday after church, on occasion, was a big deal. Not many restaurants and not much money.
Your Dad made you stilts...Mine did too. Oh how I loved to stomp around on those things. Dad made a pair for our older son too. He seemed to enjoy them too. I have a picture somewhere. I will have to try to find it.
I lived in the same neighborhood from3 years old till the 7th grade..solid friends.
7th grade until I got married at 20 in the same place. apartment in San Francisco for several years until we moved to the suburbs of Pacifica CA. There for 41 years until we moved to the Sacramento area, 17 years ago. this is our "forever" home.
Sue
How fun, we both 'stomped around' on homemade stilts ... and didn't break a leg! Chinese food Sunday for you, and Furr's Cafeteria Sunday for me. Tradition!
DeleteSounds like you had a wonderful childhood. Your Dad sounds like someone extra special...that's a blessing indeed. We grew up in the same era, just different parts of the country. It is interesting how those early childhood memories do effect how we are as adults. Oh, I loved all the same TV shows as a child...plus I Love Lucy, The Mouseketeers, (Mickey Mouse Club), and yes, I remember Huntley and Brinkley, and of course, Walter Cronkite! Those were days of innocence for us, until they shot JFK and then RFK and MLK and started the war in Viet Nam. That kind of changed everything for our generation. Oh, let's go back to the childhood part, before all of that. We were blessed and didn't even realize how much.
ReplyDeleteExactly! You remind me of that splendid song lyric, "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then."
Deletethecontemplativecat here. Childhood was wild and fun. We lived on a farm and explored stuff we should not have done. Children shows were meaningful, not preaching. I never missed the Mouseketeers, westerns. Oh, the days. We were blessed, not even knowing it. I wish my gr-kids could experience that.
ReplyDelete"Meaningful, not preaching." I like that!
DeleteI was a bit adventurous. My dad ran a movie theater so I saw a lot of movies. Glad you had your family vacations. I like how you explored outside. I enjoyed TV also. The mountains must have been so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Debby.
DeleteRead up on the restaurant.. how cool! I have no had the chance to visit NM but always thought it was a very cool place. Maybe someday. Thanks so much for joining in and sharing.
ReplyDeleteI hope you will have an opportunity to visit, Annie ... the "Land of Enchantment" is pretty special.
DeleteIndeed, Victor. Perspective is a wonderful thing.
ReplyDeleteIt has been so fun peeking into my blogging friends' childhoods today!! We didn't have restaurant experiences when I was a kid. There were six of us. We did order pizza a couple of times a month and I do remember Dad taking us to Newark, Ohio, for Mexican food... a first for all of us!! We felt pretty special! Hugs, my friend!!
ReplyDeleteThe only pizza I recall was that awful 'do-it-yourself-stuff' that came in a box. I love your first Mexican food memory ... simple pleasures!
DeleteWhat changed when you moved to North Community? Fewer friends in the neighborhood?
ReplyDeleteYes, that and some other 'stuff.' Growing pains and bobbed hair. Ha.
DeleteI enjoyed reading your answers. I had overly protective parents as well and it caused me to be too timid as a child. Overall though I enjoyed childhood and it looks like you did too!
ReplyDeleteThank you! 🤗
Delete