Some gotta win .....
Two weeks ago, at the conclusion of Bible study, our leader tasked us to bring in our oldest pair of shoes to Monday's meeting.
Guess who won?
Ha!
Actually, this was intended as a lesson:
What's something in your Thought Closet that's worn out?
"Just because it's still there doesn't mean it belongs."
Nevertheless, we enjoyed the resulting "show and tell."
Linda opened her bag to reveal 1967-era kitten pumps, still with the dime her father put inside. (I may the only person on the planet who didn't realize, that was in case a girl needed to find a pay phone to 'come get me!')
Too late for me now, but seeing another's 40-year old boots reminded me, daddy was right -- quality endures.
Do your oldest pair of shoes have a story?
Some gotta lose ...
Day before yesterday I was so pumped to try a FB recipe featuring some of my favorites -- pulled pork and collard greens:
What really occurred?
Tough doesn't begin to describe it!






I got rid of my oldest shoes when I moved but still most of the ones I have are not new. I can't think of any interesting stories behind them except that they are all very comfortable. I'm all about comfort and not style anymore. Hope you have a wonderful weekend ! Love, ma
ReplyDeleteMe, too! I shudder to remember all the years I suffered in heels.
DeleteWe live in a small house and I think I've gotten rid of all my old shoes. Been decluttering for awhile now. It seems my Mom didn't keep my baby shoes, I guess, or Dad threw them out after she died in 1966. He was not sentimental at all.
ReplyDeleteCollard Greens? Yuck. I'll pass. Bet it was like old shoe leather. Pulled pork, though, that sounds yummy.
I just can't get into blogging this week. Kinda hit a bump in the road one might say. lol
Have a glorious day! ๐
When we arrived in Alabama 6 years ago, I only brought 2 pair of shoes. Tho' I've several more now, once they wear out they're gone!
DeleteWhat a shame about the spring rolls! The ingredients sound wonderful. I wonder if the wrappers were stale or out of date?
ReplyDeleteI wonder! I barely cut them with a steak knife and wound up using scissors to cut off the end and squeezing out the pork,
DeleteOh those old shoes of yours was so precious. That was an interesting exercise. I have made many a mistakes like that when cooking - but at least we were trying something new - and I think that is awesome.
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought of it that way! Thanks, Sandie!
DeleteHelp I an laughing and I can't stop. the photos just tickle me to death... I can not follow a recipe, have never followed one that came anywhere near like the recipe. I do love collards and pulled pork, but never thought of having them together. I suggest using a soft taco and put them in that. I am going to do that. I know you can't because you don't eat carbs. I have no old shoes, when they get worn out I toss them. I do have old rubber sandals that are at back door and front door outside for when I go out barefoot. they are about 20 to 25 years old. just old Walmart rubber. 40 years of sandals only in Florida and my walking shoes go in the trash. I have no REAL shoes
ReplyDeleteGreat idea! I've even some low-carb tortillas and keto alfredo sauce to add.
DeleteI wore cowboy boots for over forty years (no, I'm not kidding). Today I'm paying the price with painful bunions and cramped toes. I now wear comfortable shoes....but too late.
ReplyDeleteCooking tips? I'm no help at all. I've cooked far too many things that turned into rubber. I have a nasty habit of over-cooking everything.....like the pork chops I made yesterday.
I can't speak from experience, but many people swear cowboy boots are the most comfortable thing they own. Strange.
DeleteBecause I've a huge fear of undercooking chicken and pork, my digital meat thermometer's my BF.
Yes! I always have a fear of undercooking chicken and pork.
DeleteFor the recipe, I would have used a more substantial egg roll wrapper rather than rice paper wrappers to pan fry. Or I would have had every thing at temperature then just wrapped in the rice paper wrapper and not tried to fry it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for these tips!
DeleteThat food looks good to me. So what if it was a little tough; at least you tried. I bet next time they'll be even better.
ReplyDeleteKeep smiling whatever happens. God bless.
Actually, I laugh at myself ... a lot!
DeleteI couldn't begin to even figure out my oldest shoes that are still in my closet; most of them, I can't even wear any more because they have a heel. Why don't I just give them away? They are too worn to do anything but toss them.
ReplyDeleteSorry about the recipe, Myra, but I'm sure you will do better next time around! Blessings!
I don't know there's going to be a next time ... but thanks for your encouragement. Always!
DeleteWay to go with winning with those shoes. That is very interesting with the dime in the shoe. I've never heard of that. Did the pulled pork taste good? Sorry about that last one.
ReplyDeleteYes, that was a smoked Boston Butt we bought from the Kiwanis' fundraiser. Yum!
DeleteKeep trying new recipes, just for the fun of it. Then if it works all the better, at least you're having an adventure.
ReplyDelete---Cheerful Monk
There you go! ๐
DeleteI just threw out my oldest pair of shoes. They were around six years old. I am hard on my shoes. I don't have advice about your pulled pork and collards. Hope someone else can help. I'm not fond of collards but pulled pork is a favorite. Hugs and happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteI'm hard on my shoes, too. All that work they do to keep me in line, lol.
DeleteBecause my bunions are so bad I don't wear anything with heels any longer..my favorite sandals just broke at the strap...can't seem to throw them away but I can't wear them the way they are...
ReplyDeleteSorry about your new recipe show leather..been there and definitely done that too.
Sue
Oh no! I wonder, can they be repaired? Sometimes it's hard to find a previously loved pair.
DeleteThe sandals were a cheap Walmart pair that I literally wore out.... haven't seen any like them in years. I guess they will stay in my closet until I get "bold" and toss them..haha..
DeleteSue
I think you went wrong on the wrap. Next time use the other kind of wrap / egg roll wraps. And don't deep fry it in the skillet with too much oil. ANYWAYS---Since it's been hotter than hades here in Florida and my arthritic feet can't take shoes, I wear flip flops. Gone are the day with kitten heels, although I do have those in my closet. My dad always said to keep a quarter in my shoe for those pay phone calls. Long gone are the pay phones now...and my dad said the other day (because we were discussing the quarter), "You might want to start keeping $10 in your pocket now. You know, because of inflation." LOLOLOL--he was being funny but serious at the same time. He said, "In my near 80 yrs, I have seen a lot, nothing like it is now though. It's a sad world we are in where it costs $15 for a hamburger now."
ReplyDeleteHave a beautiful day Myra.
Novice here... I didn't know there were more than one kind of wrappers. From now on, I'm going to leave it to the professionals!
DeleteLoved your "old shoes"!! Those are really special!! I might have a pair of booties that were mine. I wonder if that would count! LOL. Regarding the food you were cooking, I have no clue what that was that you cooked around the meat and greens...so I guess I am no help at all. I wouldn't have even attempted it! LOL.
ReplyDeleteOf course those booties count! ๐
DeleteThe 'thing' was supposed to be an egg roll wrapper.
The oldest shoes in my closet aren't mine, they're mine oldest daughter's baby shoes. Oh how could I ever give them up? They are tucked away in tissue paper, safe and secure. lol Recipes !! who knows what makes something go wrong, I say, try one more time before you toss it. ☺
ReplyDelete