Welcome back to Joyce's playground -- aka the Wednesday Hodgepodge!
Thank you, Joyce!
For today, we're prompted ...
It's National Cheese Day (June 4) ... does anyone not like cheese? What's your favorite? Last thing you ate or made with cheese?
Depending on the day, my favorite's Gorgonzola (or bleu). Baby Mozzarella's right up there. As is sharp cheddar and Bellavitano.
I usually chunk the latter and keep a baggie-full for random snack attacks.
Last time you were instructed to 'say cheese!'? How do you feel about having your picture taken?
We said 'cheese' several times at my granddaughter's wedding -- and I didn't even care (much) if I wasn't particularly photogenic.
It was a happy day.
What's your travel packing strategy? Are you typically a light packer or do you throw in everything but the kitchen sink? Why flying, do you check a bag or aim for carry-on only?
I still keep a bug-out bag -- but hope another trip to UAB won't be necessary anytime soon.
Years ago when taking a 'real' vacation, yes. I'd overpack for every eventuality.
We were just talking about this at Bible study and agreed -- sending an extra bag ahead via UPS might be less expensive than what the airlines charge for additional luggage.
What is it about people's cell phone habits that you find most annoying?
Pointing the finger at myself here ...
I've been guilty of sneaking a glance at my phone during dinner. Or church.
What will be your summer mantra/slogan?
Hang in there ...
we're one day closer to Winter.
Insert your own random thought here.
June 6, 1944
Hugs, Myra





You're not wrong about #6; I think a little more daily gratitude would go a long way with some people!
ReplyDeleteAmen!
DeleteWe're watching all the D-Day coverage. We visited the Normandy area and beaches when we lived in the UK and that was one of my favorite trips. How young those soldiers were is sobering.
ReplyDeleteI've no doubt it would be heartbreaking, but visiting Normandy and Omaha Beach is a fixture on my all-important List.
DeleteI love to snack on cheese,, have it on sandwiches and put in pasta ! My favorite is baby Swiss Cheese and eat it often. When traveling, I try to cover all the bases and be prepared for different kinds of weather. I always check an extra bag. Last time I traveled I had 3 checked bags as I was moving to Texas and yes it was expensive, but so is shipping. Most of what I brought is being used but the top shelf in the closet has my winter clothing on it, that I won't need for quite awhile now.. I haven't really minded the hot weather, but smile when I see the weather reports back home. They are still having some cool days there and I don't miss that at all. I prefer being warm! Hope you enjoy your summer! Love, ma
ReplyDeleteI always try and make a point to watch the weather where my friends are living!
DeleteThe D-Day meme and photo below it are on point. Thank you so much for reminding me what is important and what is petty.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
Deleteneed no bag, do not travel... LOVE cheese, just about any kind, the only kind i can eat is hard cheese and i choose seriously sharp cheddar.. due to IBS, i used to do the cubes like you do but now i have to limit mine and take dairy ease with it. i did not know it is d day, have not been watching tv.. I was born Sept 5 1944, 3 months after Dday. I love both the older and newer you and your daughter photos..
ReplyDeleteSharp cheddar is a staple in our refrigerator! Thank you for your sweet words!
DeleteI do love any kind of cheese and just had it last night in lasagna. So good. A taco or enchilada NEEDS cheese and plenty of it.
ReplyDeleteDon't travel so much any more but I don't think I over pack and I try to get it all into one bag plus my carry on.
We went to the D-Day museum in New Orleans. It was amazing and I had a lump in my throat through the entire place.
Cell phone habits of talking so loud that I can't help but hear their entire conversation.
Slogan..This too will pass.
Sue
A former boss/dear friend belonged to a WWII reenactment group and volunteered more than 10,000 hours at that museum. I really wanted to visit -- and my Tom would love it. Unfortunately, Frank passed last year before we could 'get around to it."
DeleteThe last meme says it all. May we always give thanks for our freedoms and remember those who fought, and still fight, to preserve them.
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Myra!
Amen!
DeleteWe don't travel but still have our go-to bags packed for potential wildfires. The D-Day photo was right on. Mantra for the summer? First, I'm with you about liking winter more, but I just immerse myself in a project or two so I don't notice the heat so much. My mantra? Aloha,. My version is love, affection, peace, compassion and patience. For me patience is an important part of it.
ReplyDelete---Cheerful Monk
I like your version better!
DeleteMy husband has a "to go" bag and it is literally a plastic grocery bag with a day's supply of pills, a toothbrush, etc. He has it to grab if he ever has to go to his mom's in a hurry. That last picture grabs my heart!
ReplyDelete🤗
DeleteCheese is my favorite snack food too. I don't care that I'm lactose intolerant. I keep pills with me everywhere so I won't be sick. It's so worth it.
ReplyDeleteBeing a 2 wheeler I tend to pack light. Hopefully I'll never have to fly again but if I do I'm going to ship my belongings there via UPS. I'm tired of airlines losing my luggage or overcharging to stow them. Not going that route again.
Summer in the South ... ugh! Yep, every day that passes we're one day closer to Fall. 💙
I hope I'll never again have to board an airplane ... but will be visiting the County Courthouse for our 'Star' (license) designation just in case. More Big Brother.
DeleteWhere I live, we have to have a go bag this time of year—we have major fires, and this is the season. Our hot temperatures, low humidity, and a pyromaniac could wipe us out. We don't go too far from our home in the summer months. The last time I visited my family in Alabama, we had to cut our trip off early due to a major fire + we have animals.
ReplyDeleteMy husband has an uncle who survived D-Day. He was in the 82nd Airbourne Infantry Division. He survived the Battle of the Bulge and his division Battle of the Bulge. And if that wasn't enough, the 82nd Airbourne liberated the Neuengamme Concentration Camp in 1945.
God bless him he lived to be an old man. Thanks for remembering D-Day
What a remarkable gentleman! Thank you for telling us about him, Debby.
DeleteThank you so much for the last two photos. We owe them a great debt.
ReplyDeleteYes to Gorgonzola, Roquefort and Stilton; also cheddar and all other cheeses - except Casu martzu. (Look it up on Google - tasty!)
God bless.
I just did .... ewwwww!!!
DeleteThe pictures in your random thought are so moving. You mentioned some cheeses I am not familiar with. I stood over the cheese section at the market the other day and marveled that I have actually tasted so few. The selection was vast. You are also a woman after my own heart; how soon can winter get here. Texas summers are not for me!
ReplyDeleteI intended to comment on your dress for the wedding and failed to do that. My granddaughter is getting married the end of July near Lake Michigan and I am having the hardest time finding a suitable dress. I tried on a floral today and reminded myself of large pot of flowers. LOL! Yours is so attractive. Where are all the pretty grandmother dresses these days?
DeleteSo many choices ... so little time!
DeleteI just DM'd you a link to the dress on Amazon.
Those two photos speak for themselves. :(
ReplyDeleteI love cheese, but my granddaughter - who just married Andy does not - can you imagine someone not liking cheese?
I tend to over pack myself. Hope no more trips to the hosptial for you.
I peak at the phone sometimes too.
And I am waiting for winter too! lol
Gosh, no. I can't imagine!
DeleteWow, it never dawned on me to UPS stuff to our destination instead of paying $50 bucks on the airline. Great tip. So far, all the hodgepodgers I've visited really enjoy cheese! Congratulations on your grands wedding. Nice to have the photos! Thanking the Lord for those who sacrificed their lives for our freedom!
ReplyDeleteHopefully my flying days are over, but I tend to trust UPS with my bags moreso than the airline.
DeleteI love some shredded colby/jack cheese on top of my salad at lunch, and also on other things as "needed". I also love Baby Swiss cheese on a ham sandwich, toasted or cold. Cream cheese on banana nut bread. American cheese on grilled cheese sandwich. I am sure I would like other cheeses (except bleu), but rarely buy them, unless for a party. Thank you for your pictures and that last meme for D Day in particular. May those dear ones rest in peace who gave so much for our freedom...all gave some, some gave all. Such an amazing generation. So sad to see them go.
ReplyDeleteWe love cream cheese on b-nut bread, too! Yes, what a debt we owe these men (and women).
DeleteI am a cheese lover. I need to look for your Bellavitano cheese. With you on D-Day. Sobering indeed. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteI hope you'll like it!
DeleteCheese is fun to snack on. I like all kinds. I just don't like myself in photos anymore. However, I keep telling Mark that he needs to take more photos of me with James. I have so many of him with James. I can't help but overpack. I do check my bag and carry on a few things to do on the plane. Oh no, you are already thinking about Winter!
ReplyDeleteYes, please get more photos with James! (Even if they're selfies!).
DeleteWinter is my favorite season.
Boy, I'm really late commenting on this one. I'm on vacation so didn't post to this weeks, so I figured I'd go back and comment on this HP. I enjoyed your answers. I just love what everyone shares. I work for a shipping company and depending on how far your traveling, the baggage option is almost always cheaper.
ReplyDelete