Saturday, June 10, 2023

This Business of Life

 

... challenged to find a title!   Hmmm.  

I was thinking my week's been like an episode of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  Maybe, The Good.TheBad.TheUgly.

In brief.  Tom had 3 'procedures.'  Not to be outdone, me the annual mammogram.  (All seems well, thank you, Jesus!)  Contractor scheduled for Tuesday -- no call, no show.  Two days later they arrived, worked half a day ... then inexplicably walked off without finishing.  Claimed we called the cops on them.  (Whaaaaat?)   Ship's Log Jack, wish you were here!  


Anyway!  You didn't come here to hear me gripe.  

There were some bright spots.  The chair that fit just right, if you will!

💛


Thursday evening I attended my first art showing.
(New to me ... ✔️)   

One of the ladies from church is an accomplished artist we wanted to come support.  

Donna (the artist) answering somebody's question.
Check out that piano bench!


... while friends Brenda and Pastor Janet perused.

There were a couple of pieces I liked; unfortunately, both above my pay grade.

This was a far cry from those exhibits I read about in novels -- Those featuring well-heeled patrons in little black dresses, sipping from champagne flutes.   

Nope.  I arrived wearing my best t-shirt and leggings, enjoyed sweet tea and pimento sandwiches.  And fit right in!




💛

Last evening, I asked Tom on a date
to a nearby no-frills spot featuring beer, box wine, cornhole games, live music ... and a new favorite food truck!

The Rex

Hey Bebe!
(Stock FB photo)

Sicilian Chef Joe is a Delight!
Don't you enjoy hearing people's stories?

A graduate of the Culinary Institute, Joe worked 30+ years for an upscale hotel restaurant. 
Then Covid hit.
Suddenly without a job, his wife suggested he get a food truck.  ("I told her, are you out of your mind?")


I love what he said about doing this.
(Paraphrasing) 'Visiting with people and hearing them say how much they enjoy my food is the best part.  When you work behind the scenes, people seldom say 'thank you.'

THIS is what I got..
Another new to me ...✔️


Just for fun, look at the menu and tell me what you think I ordered!



Suffice to say, I'm still full!


💛



Have yourselves a wonderful weekend, okay?
Be safe!

Hugs,

Me and my BFF's

















27 comments:

  1. Love that picture of you and your sweet "girls" at the end! So sweet!!! And that food! Wow! I'd say it's one of those stuffed boululattas but I can't tell what the topping/sauce is...looks very good whatever it is, and yes, very filling! Not sure I could eat that! The art show looks like a lovely place with sweet people...much better than the high heels and pearls and little black dress with champagne kind of place where you have to be fake and say "oh Dahling, I Lovvvvve it!" LOL. I am still wondering about that contractor who said you called the cops on him. What's he trying to hide? Must be guilty. LOL. Maybe you SHOULD call the cops on him. Hope you get the job finished one way or the other to your satisfaction. Take care and have a peaceful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! It was Italian sausage + Asiago cheese w/ cajun cream sauce and mushrooms. We had to bring home half! I've no idea if or who called the cops -- we sure didn't see any, but the man who called Tom claimed they (subcontractors) were working without a license (b/c) Leaf Filter wouldn't let me use theirs. Supposedly, a new team will be out Monday. What a mess!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like more good than bad in your week. I hope it continues to be that way. How nice to go to an art show and also to enjoy some delicious food with your hubby. I don't know exactly what you had but the menu looks wonderful. Hope you have a great weekend ! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today across our dining booth Sherry said, "Have you read Myra?" Then she continued to read your blog entry to me. LOL She was deep into this one and we enjoyed it. Spent 10-15 minutes studying the menu. She picked Sausage and cheese. i picked Big Joe's special baked potato. LOL
    But seeing the Paunchtrain (?) baked potato because I heard an ad in my head from Nawlins Radio from the late 50's:
    "At the beach, at the beach at Paunchatrain each you'll have fun you'll have fun every day of gthe week etc....."
    We also laughed because I once had a 'Roach Coach', no cooking, sherry backed biscuits for the truck every morning and I served premade sandwiches. That was before the new food trucks like old joe's! I had a regular route for break and lunch time. Thanks for a sweet time in the gloom and a chance to just let go and smile.
    Love ya
    Sherry & jack
    ps: funny you should mention it, Sherry asked me for a date last evening, I said YES!
    Hug old Tom for uslllll
    Glad the 'mammi" gram truned out OK. Hope Tom is doing good. I just shook my head at the contractor's 'crap'. Hard to believe workers have reached that point anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ding, ding, ding! Sherry's right! I chose the cajun cream dipper + mushrooms ... yummm!
      Interesting about your 'roach coach' days! I didn't get to see inside, but Chef Joe says everything on the menu is prepared right there on the trailer.
      See my response to Pam (above) about the so-called contractor. Right now we've a big hole in the soffit, praying it doesn't rain!

      Delete
  4. What in the world happened to that contractor? Weird!
    That art show looked nice and you got fed too -
    And I have heard about food trucks becoming popular, but I haven't found any here.
    I think it is wonderful how your church is so active.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Tom's all over the (so called) contractor. They're supposed to be sending a new team Monday. At least, thank goodness, we haven't paid them a cent.

      Delete
  5. I have a title, Art Show Ah La Alabama!
    My kind of art show and the only one i would attend, no black dresses for me. I only go where I am allowed leggings and shirts and sandals.
    I can't read the menu, but it looks like eggplant parmigiana one of my favorite foods. we have a new food truck parked beside publix, on a side street, it just appeared there a month ago and built a tiki hut over picnic tables to eat. a week later, they tore down the tiki hut and now it i there for pick ups only. not sure what they have there. good for you for one more new thing, make that 2. food truck and art show. I might need to wear a mask because I can't hide what i am thinking and might hurt feelings at an art show. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha on the mask! The only art I'm really drawn to is art photography. Should you ever get over to Lakeland, check out the b/w photography exhibits where Terri ('Your Friend from Florida') used to work -- Polk Museum of Art. Stunning!

      Delete
  6. Glad to read that you haven't paid the contractor any money yet. Good grief!! Your food looks delicious. I couldn't read the menu well enough to figure it out but I would love to sit down there for a meal! Love you and your pups! Have a great weekend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That menu had my mouth watering, Myra! Everything sounds delicious, and definitely Southern.
    Wish I could say the same about my mammogram. I'm going back on June 21st to have a cyst drained. I really don't think there's any cancer involved, but prayers can't hurt!
    Blessings to you and to Tom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying now! I'll ask the ladies at Bible Study tomorrow to join me.

      Delete
  8. Well, I'd say your week finish up nicely. Hopefully, the new week will be a good one!

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you for ending the week on a high note! Good luck with the contractor. 🤞❤️
    ---Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for yours and Tom's good health.

    The food in your photo looks delicious. It's good to go out every now and then. Great menu too.

    Enjoy the sunshine and strive to be Happy. I am Grumpy!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like 'A Man Called Otto' grumpy, or is this a passing cloud? Praying!

      Delete
    2. You be Happy. I be Grumpy. (7 dwarves).

      Thanx for your prayers though. God bless.

      Delete
  11. There is a taco truck that sits up here on the corner--we go there on Fridays...a nice Puerto Rican family owns it and I have to say, their tacos are da bomb, grin. Have a great day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a new food truck park right on main street. People are loving it and it seems to be doing well. We haven't been yet, it's just too hot for me to enjoy anything outside. Maybe in the fall. Sweet tea and pimento sandwiches, that's food fit for a queen♥.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree -- the only time food's appealing this time of year is enjoyed in air conditioning.

      Delete
  13. You do have a lot to gripe about. Well the rest of your week went pretty good. Sounds like some fun times and good eats.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does your artist friend have a website or Facebook where you can view her work? Hello to you and Tom from hot Florida. Take care, Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!