Hey there! It's been a while since I put pen to paper.
Here's a few ....
Dear Daddy,
I hope you had a wonderful Heavenly birthday, surrounded by all you ever imagined. And more!
Guess what!? I never dreamed I'd see your suitcase again -- but when your grandson and Lois were preparing to move, they discovered this stored among Grandma's belongings. Surprised, how small it is, compared to my own oversize bags. Then again, I remember what a meticulous packer you were.
How you loved your label maker, affixing names to anything that didn't move. (LOL)
Let's see ... Name. Address. Telephone Numbers.
"It's been more than 40 years. How likely is it, that number's still valid?"
Then, "What could it hurt?"
Which of your workplaces matches this number? I'd a 50/50 chance.
Which of your workplaces matches this number? I'd a 50/50 chance.
Ring, ring. Male voice answered; mumbled something I couldn't understand.
"Good morning, is this J-16?"
Curt reply, "No!" Slams phone. (Whoa! Did someone lay an egg in his Wheaties?)
I've no idea what I'm going to do with this, but probably use it to store linens. Still, it makes me happy to have it.
✏️
Dear Joy,
I was so surprised to see your message on Frank's memorial. It's been what, nearly 3 decades?
Back in the day, it was my honor to marry the two of you.
Shortly thereafter, y'all moved to New Orleans. Aside from the occasional holiday greeting, we drifted apart. You divorced, moved to New York City and became a model.
Shortly thereafter, y'all moved to New Orleans. Aside from the occasional holiday greeting, we drifted apart. You divorced, moved to New York City and became a model.
I recently left condolences on-line. Then, a few days later, your note:
"Miss you, Myra! Thank you so much for all you did to marry us and your sincere friendship. You were always there for him/us and it will never be forgotten. ❤️"
Color me, feeling nostalgic.
... and grateful.
... and grateful.
✏️
Dear Cindy,
Great idea, girlfriend!
While at Bible study some of y'all (not me!) were sharing how sometimes you feel overwhelmed. Too many places to see, people to do.
I thought your tip was genius:
On a monthly calendar, choose a square -- any square -- and write in big red letters: "NO!"
Then, when someone asks you to help/do/be on that date you can smile and say, "Sorry, I've already got something on the calendar."
(heh, heh)
Self care matters!
🎇
Have a fabulous weekend!
Hugs, Myra




What beautiful touching letters. Especially the one to your Dad. Yes, I remember the old Dymo machines and sticky tapes so you could label anything you want. Typing letter by letter on the sticky tape.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Mevely. You have brought back fond memories of times, and people, long gone.
God bless you and all your family always, my friend.
Dymo, yessss. (I couldn't recall the name.) Thank you for being such a wonderful friend!
DeleteMy Dad had a suitcase just like that!
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteI love your letters that say so much about you. You did love your father and admired all his travels. I find it difficult to say no, but I have done so. One time I was asked not to give up a volunteer post, but I was burned out and said no, I couldn't do it. I agree you've got to take care of yourself first, if you want to be good for others.It looks like you are having some hot weather. Try to keep cool there. Love, ma
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ma! Ya, we're all keeping close to the air conditioner.
DeleteSince I am mean to the bone, i just say no if i don't want to do what ever it is. friends, family and foes get no.
ReplyDeleteReading about your dad, makes me think, my dad's 100th birthday will be Oct 22 of this year. Wow! and that is a small very nice suitcase. Mother kept presents in her suitcase, she was a buy ahead person. always shopping for future birthdays and Christmas. It had a key and she used it. good idea on linens. Just thought of the perfect example of how mean I am.
6 years ago on Jan 26, 2017 I gave up sugar. everyone near and far knew I did it because for the first year, it was all i could talk/think about. a close friend came to the Ymca with Christmas gifts, home made fudge. When she tried to hand it to me, I said no thank you, I can't have that in my house, give it to Lola behind the desk. Bob said later you could have brought it home for me, I said what part of can't have fudge in the house did you not get? mean mean mean.
Poor Bob! (lololol)
DeleteOops, forgot to add my name.
ReplyDeleteI love the calendar NO fix. I say YES, that is a great idea. I loved this post, Myra. How sweet to have your dad's suitcase. Happy weekend!! xo
ReplyDeleteHappy weekend, dear friend!
DeleteI LOVE your letters, esp. to your Father. That is priceless. And I love that you have his suitcase, and also that you called that old work number! LOL. That is funny. You are brave. I wonder who would answer if I called my parents' old home phone number...I'd probably faint if someone answered it. What could I say? Are there phones in heaven? Wouldn't that be nice?. This was really a sweet post. I do like the idea of the NO on the calendar. I needed that back in the day when I was a busy mother, Pastor's Wife, worked outside of the home, etc. You wouldn't think I'd need it now that I am retired, but there are times... Lovely post from a lovely person. Have a blessed weekend dear friend.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Pam! Yes, if only there were phones in Heaven! (That doesn't mean I still don't talk to them in my head.)
DeleteYou touched all my feels with these letters! So sweet! We should all write more letters and even to our loved ones who have gone on. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteGrace & Peace,
Pam
😘
DeleteWhat a treasure the old suitcase is! A Samsonite, isn't it? (My uncle was a salesman.) I like that NO idea on the calendar. Pretty simple, but if you put it in writing on the calendar then it is pretty much law. LOL
ReplyDeleteI think Samsonsite luggage was really popular in the 60's. I can still see the baby blue one I received for graduation.
Delete🤗
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your letters. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and a nice 4th of July.
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteFirst, how did you marry someone? I know that you can get a license/certificate online to marry folks but when I read that I just had to ask!! Also, I love the NO on the calendar. That is BRILLIANT!
ReplyDeleteActually, I was able to b/c I was a Notary. Nervous, but still.
DeleteI love your letters especially to your dad. And to have his suitcase....how blessed you are. Love that N O idea!
ReplyDelete