Wednesday, June 7, 2023

In the year '85, '85 ...


Welcome back to Wednesday with Joyce n' friends, aka the Hodgepodge.   Please, pour a cup and join us!

๐Ÿ™‚


Today's menu ...


Tell me something you remember about being 35.

It was truly the best time of my life.
Loving life, all the while working at a small CPA firm with folks who felt like family.

Not a care in the world ...


.... wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.



Last time you 'burned the candle at both ends'?

Gosh, it's been decades.
Retirement rocks!



Are you someone with the 'gift of gab'?  Elaborate.

My first instinct was to say "Noooo!".

Then I remembered, I lack the ability to make a long story short.



Do you request a special meal on your birthday, and if so, tell us that meal is?  Do you want the same kind of cake year after year, or will any flavor work?  Do you want cake at all?  Growing up, were birthdays a big deal in your house?  Are they a big deal now?

My ideal birthday meal usually involves salmon and broccoli at Long Horn Steakhouse (and perhaps, a Tanqueray martini).

Thankfully, my family knows how much I love cheesecake.


Being an only child, my parents always made a big deal out of my birthday.  I've written about it before, but one of my favorite memories involves my father: the Patriot:

I don't remember back in the day many folks on our street flying the flag -- but if they happened to spot one out our door, several were quick to get theirs.

One day, a neighbor couldn't contain his curiosity:  "What holiday is this, Ad?  I don't remember?"

Straight faced, my dad replied: "It's xxx's birthday."



"Age is just a number" ..... agree or disagree?  Tell us why.

Absolutely, I agree!

I often imagine myself twenty years younger ... I just wish my joints would comply.



Insert your own random thought here.


That's me ... I'm that thing.
๐Ÿ™‚





Hugs, Myra
 





43 comments:

  1. Age is just a number, and mine is increasing. I never realized how much old age would affect me. I move slowly most days and even that isn't easy. My joints are showing signs of old age arthritis. My mom said to me, once you reach 70 it's all down hill from there and it's proven true for me too. Before then I still felt the same as I did when I was 50. I love lobster and always go to Red Lobster for my birthday dinner. My kids treat me to the meal and make it a special birthday for me. Retirement is one of the best things that ever happened to me. I hope you keep on enjoying yours! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kids sound so thoughtful! They must bring you lots of joy.

      Delete
  2. I love my birthday. Probably not as much as I did when I was growing up -- only child, too, and my birthday was a big deal -- but now I have the perspective to be grateful for another turn around the sun. Special meal? If I'm near a beach, it's lobster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perspective ... yessss! My parents used to treat me to a lobster dinner 'out' on my birthday; sadly, I've since developed a shell fish allergy.

      Delete
  3. The story about your father flying the flag for family birthdays is too cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's nice they made a big deal out of your bithday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to realize, not everyone's parents did. Sad.

      Delete
  5. awwww! Hedgehog cuteness♥. Enjoyed your answers, and I agree, retirement rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Retirement does rock! Loved your funnies at the end, especially the hedgehog! Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nope, age is not just a number, age is joints that sound like popcorn, walking like a stiff penquin when getting up after sitting or sleeping. too many trips to the potty, know where every restroom in the city is, afraid to drive the interstate, hair falling out like rain, wrinkles and brown spots, and worst of all living with another old person with the same things happening. so NOT just a number.
    love that hedgehog, and good to hear you ad happy times at age 35, i was in the process of selling silverware, my wedding rings, china, to raise the funds to pay for my divorce at age 35.
    I do agree Retirement Rocks, and so glad I could and did. My birthday of choice would be burger and frys or anything i don't have to buy and cook

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many things have changed since we were 35. What I regret the most is that people are a little less kind. That's why it's a treasure to find some good friends on the Internet.

    I do have real friends as opposed to Internet ones. I can tell when I go in the garage and find the lawn-mower missing, the hedge cutter missing, the ladder missing, and other tools too. All borrowed by my friends.

    I love cheesecake. Must buy some soon.

    God bless, Mevely. Happy thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Thank you for being among the contents of my treasure chest.

      Delete
  9. Awww, the hedgehog made me smile!! Oh, that salmon sounds good. I wish my hubby liked it. I would cook it all the time, but he doesn't, and I don't want to spend the money, so I get it when I can when we go out to eat. I can imagine your birthday was a BIG deal for you and your parents! Sounds like they were quite "smitten" with you, and who wouldn't be? Yes, age is a number that keeps rising much too quickly, like on this early summer days. My body is not liking being this age and it tells me so all the time. I can't give in to it or I'll just lay down and die. So we must keep fighting back and not let age win the battle. I enjoyed your answers. You are a very special lady that I am thankful to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thoughts, Pam. I saw something on FB attributed to Clint Eastwood. When asked how he still stays so active, he said, "I don't let the old man in."
      Tom doesn't care for salmon either, so I only get it when we go out.

      Delete
  10. I rarely see myself as the true age I am, Myra, but I'm afraid I'm dodging reality. I do like that commercial where the woman declares, "Age is just a number, and mine's unlisted." Have you seen that?
    I'm not a big fan of fish, but if its shrimp or scallops, I'm all in.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the smiling hedgehog! I totally blew a few of the questions this week. OYE. I loved the flag story. Sweet. I'm young as long as I don't stop and gaze in a mirror. Happy week to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The flag story is cute. I'm often surprised by my reflection when I pass a mirror. Surely that's not me??? Also when I facetime with my children I become distracted by my neck lol. I feel young but my neck says otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave lady! Family or not, I can't bring myself to facetime.

      Delete
  13. I too wish my body felt as young as my mind does. You do love cheesecake - you have mentioned it before. I love the smile that cute hedgehog brought to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I chuckled at your 'gift of gab' answer! I am a big fan of celebrating birthdays! I've been making salmon and broccoli for dinner two-three times a month. Makes a good low carb dinner. Yum! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've never tried making salmon. Tom doesn't like it, plus I'm afraid I'll screw it up. (lol)

      Delete
  15. Your 'gift of the gab' answer reminded me that the "to make a long story short" line is a running joke in our family because we all know that the long story will NOT be any shorter, no matter who is telling it! Loved the memory of your dad putting the flag out for your birthday! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the flag story! My birthday is actually on Flag Day and I always thought those flags were flying because of my birthday (when I was a kid!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cute you are! Happy early birthday, Lisa!

      Delete
  17. Enjoyed reading your answers. Your birthday meal sounds delicious. I knew there had to be cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All of our rooms have a lot of soul, everything is old! Including us, of course. ๐Ÿ˜Š❤️

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved your answers...I too cannot make a long story short...my hubby wishes I could.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good answers - You're the 2nd person who mentioned German chocolate cake. Must be a sign...and yes, retirement does rock!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed the visit sweet lady! Thanks ;-)

    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness. When I was 35, my husband retired from the Navy after 22 years of service. My life changed dramatically.. after living in so many different places, he moved us to a farm in Alabama. That was certainly a wake-up call.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!