Monday, April 17, 2023

Mondays Matter* (vol. 5)

 

*Matter: (noun) An affair or situation under consideration; a topic.



New to me?

I don't know if these count, but ....

The little jury that lives in my head is still conflicted.  It's not exactly buyer's remorse about the cataract surgery.  It's just, I've worn eyeglasses for so long, it feels super strange not wearing them.   Then, when I go to read something, I'm usually at a loss where I set them down.  Tom keeps threatening to buy me one of these librarian chains to wear them around my neck.  (Nooooo!!!)


Score(!) last week when I found these bifocal sunglasses out on Amazon.  Compared to an optometrist, the price was so good, I ordered two.   



I'm tempted to get like-kind non-tinted -- but I think I owe it to myself to try going without a while longer.



Does anyone else enjoy playing with their food?

I don't claim to be a good cook, but like playing with out of the ordinary combinations.  The other day I discovered a bag of fresh spinach that needed attention.  I tossed it on the stove with chile-infused olive oil, added Jimmy Dean sausage and sprinkled with fresh Parmesan.  Yum!



Later today, I want to try steaming an artichoke.
One of my favorite food experiences was the first time I was served an Artichoke (ca. 1976).  I had to be shown how to actually eat it, but thereafter Daddy's Money was a favorite restaurant.

A few years later, while vacationing in Breckenridge, we had an ah-mazing waiter.  My husband complimented him, saying we hadn't enjoyed such service since Daddy's Money in Dallas.  Imagine our surprise when he wore a big grin and said, "I was trained at Daddy's Money!"



These new-to-me challenges aren't exactly news-worthy, but I'm having fun.  Already, I'm beginning a list.



In other news ...

Friday morning we attended a little group meeting with Pastor Janet.  ("Okay, now we've disaffiliated. What comes next?")

Tom and another gentleman got to talking about, what else -- their passion for music.

Next thing I know, we're accepting an invitation to their home Saturday night for dinner and jamming


I knew they were Good People as soon as I spotted this sign on their sunporch.


Not having really played his sax in years, Tom was concerned he'd bitten off more than he could chew -- but thankfully he sucked it up and came along.

"This is what we love to do." -- That's Cindy, talking about their music ministry.



Bailey was mesmerized.  I wasn't fast enough to get a picture, but he stuck his head in the horn, trying to figure where that funny noise was coming from!




Anyway, all was a delightful time!
You might enjoy this short clip.  

Good people ... good times.
That's what it's all about, right?



Now, I need to wash my face and get to Bible study.
I hope y'all have a super day.  Please stay safe!

Hugs, Myra

















27 comments:

  1. How fun. They are pretty good and thanks for letting us here it "live". I remember growing up and mom and dad inviting family over and then everyone sitting around the piano singing and having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom did a great job, Myra! By the way, that's one of my favorite old-timey Gospel songs. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have to tell him what you said. He felt (and I quote), "I sucked."

      Delete
  3. I love I'll fly away and used to sing it a lot at church, sometimes in a duet with daddy. great job to Tom, next you will be telling us he has joined the praise team at church. you are doing super great with your new things. I need to accept the challenge and see what i could find to do.. love the new glasses and if i could see, i would wear clear glasses because I look awful without mine. Lola only needed reading glasses after her surgery and she got glasses that she loved and had them no RX and no line reading glasses. she could see fine distance but not read. mine are so bad surgery did not do anything but clarify my sight, still needed rx for all 3, thus the trifocals...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe, he said he'd never heard that (song) before!

      Delete
  4. I imagine I would be looking for my glasses too! Mark is starting his cataract surgery next week. I've been told my vision is 20/20 so I don't need surgery yet. I do not fool around with food but yours that you did sound good. That is something about him being trained at that restaurant. How nice to have some new friends. Cut dog. That video is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I think you're the first person over 30 whose vision is still 20/20. Yay, you!

      Delete
  5. I definitely need to keep my reading glasses on a chain around my neck. I lose them constantly. And while I'm at it - - a chain for my cell phone.
    I enjoyed the video. Tom sounded good - despite not playing in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The tech suggested I buy several pair of drug-store readers and keep in every room.

      Delete
  6. thecontemplativecat here. For the most part, cataract surgery is good. Music is great! Talented guys, still have it. I'll fly away--good song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love artichokes.
    I had cataract surgery in 2021 - I opted to be able to see up close rather than throw away the glasses. My close up vision is outstanding. I do have to wear eyeglasses which I have worn since I was in my mid twenties - and I think I look old without eyeglasses - plus I love funky eyeglasses. Now I just do the single lens and do alrright. I do take them off when I do crafts or read and my biggest issue is I keep losing or forgetting (that's more like it) where I placed them. Nothing is perfect - I just have to still get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I never heard of anyone being given a choice. Pretty sure I'd have chosen your route, as well.

      Delete
  8. I play around with food too! I think playing music and having a good time together is wonderful. 😊
    ---Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I loved the video clip! One of my favorite hymns! I put off cataract surgery for a few months. Got new glasses ordered today to tide me over until later in the summer or early fall. Keep telling us how you are doing on your journey, please! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you're recovering fast from the surgery. I honestly don't mind the chains just to save me time from looking for my glasses. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like everyone had a fun time! Love the pooch and horn!lol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought about getting a chain for my reading glasses too. I can never find them, when I do need them, which isn't very often. Most of the time I can see it all, except for the fine print. I finally found some at target, but sadly when I got home, I pulled too tightly and the part that hooks up to the arms of the glasses broke. Your spinach dish sounds really good. You can used lots of ways mixed in with other foods. Have a great day starting with Bible Study! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the video. It made my day and cheered me up in an otherwise bad patch I'm going through. Thanx Mevely. I wish I could play music.

    Pray for us. Praying for you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear from you, Victor; I've been concerned. You've become a good friend. Praying!

      Delete
  14. Enjoyed the music clip!!! Mr D plays guitar and has been in several bands over the years so music has always been in our home. We've had many jam sessions at our here, they are fun. First date I had with Mr D, he took me to a jam session at a friend house!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!