Saturday, April 22, 2023

Another Saturday



Hi there!


After an otherwise unremarkable week, there's nothing like good food to amuse me.  Unless what you had in mind is a) an Epic Fail or b) no-where to be found.


In years past, my workplace benefitted from its association with Food Brokers (think freebies!) -- but I never really understood what it is, exactly, they do.  Perhaps they could tell me why ...

Even now, when the pandemic panic buying seems to be over, it's hard to find certain things.   Ratio (Keto) vanilla yogurt for instance.   Presently Publix and Wal-Mart are the only ones that stock it -- and the latter's begun limiting it, 3 to a customer.   Another of my passions that's hard to find, green-leaf lettuce.  


Today, for instance, I tried Romaine.  Meh.
In spite of adding generous amounts of nuts and veggies, I still had a craving for a 'little something' sweet.   Does anyone else get that way? 

Ta-dah!

Some of y'all may remember when, on the recommendation of another blogger, I began fermenting garlic cloves in fresh honey.   The recommended wait time was 2 weeks -- but it's been 2 months!

I won't say we've an abundance of cabinet space, but 'someone' stuck this jar behind the soups and I'd forgotten about it 'til now.   What can I say, but 'Yum!'  Best of all, it's a natural anti-oxidant.



I could put a check-mark beside that in Week #5(52) of my new-to-me Joys Journal.  But nooooo.

That honor goes to my new favorite pizza spot, Can a Brotha Get a Slice.


Given its location, it not somewhere we'd normally frequent.   But my granddaughter's friend claims it's The Best in Alabama.   One reviewer even wrote she comes from Birmingham for the pizza.   

I like how some of the street's older (not quite decrepit) homes are being reincarnated into little boutiques -- even a doggie bakery.   The only parking to be had is in back; there's no indoor seating.  That's okay.  


They bill themselves as "The Most Romantic Pizza on Earth"
but I was taken by this chalk 'Welcome.'

At the owner's suggestion we waited outside in the car; 10 minutes later he comes out -- big smile and apologies for having run out of boxes.  (Instead, he gave us the pie atop one of his pans.)   It's not even a half hour drive home, but the aroma was close to interfering with my ability to drive. (LOL)

We got the Supreme -- but I'm not as fond of red sauce or pepperoni as Tom.    I've already got my eyes set on the Boujee Auntie -- fried chicken and spinach with white sauce.






You may be wondering, whatever happened to the former Atkins-turned-Keto disciple?
Oh, she's still in here, but you know what?

Considering how much JOY I get out of Good Food and Drink, I'm loosening the chains.
Since Thanksgiving, I've gained back almost 10 (of 25) pounds, but it's a compromise I'm comfortable with.

Life's too short to fret and stress ... besides, some of these carbs might make their way to my face and fill in the wrinkles.  Ya think?  LOL!






Smile, it's Saturday!





Hugs, Myra













 

24 comments:

  1. HA! Love that name Boujee Auntie. I have managed to keep the 60 lbs. off since our suddenly son passed away, why? Because its hotter than you know what here in Florida...who can eat when it's that miserable? LOL--wishing you a beautiful rest of the Saturday. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grief AND hot weather. I get that, but please take care of yourself. We need your 'tude around these parts!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, Myra! I started low carb nearly a month ago and lost 12 pounds pretty fast. Now I've been stuck for a week and I am getting discouraged. I miss pasta and potatoes and rice! I really need to hang in there and get another 10 off, at least. But a "cheat day" doesn't kill me. You are right that life is too short... Love & hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats, Terri! Have you noticed, even if the scale doesn't budge, the inches are coming off? I've found that often happens with low-carb.

      Delete
  4. Yes ... I noticed some shortages over here since Covid. Especially, a shortage of common sense amongst some people. People seem to be more selfish and self-centred.

    I love a good pizza. Did you know that pizza is the only food not to make one gain weight if enjoyed with some wine? I read it in a book I am writing.

    Someone should invent pizza flavoured diet medicine. That should go down well.

    Why are pizzas mostly round yet sold in square boxes and cut into triangles?

    The pizza man asked me if I wanted my pizza cut into six or eight pieces. I said six because I was not hungry enough to eat eight pieces.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be onto something! Even if I gain weight, the wine whispers, "So what?"

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed this, and also Victor's comments above. Funny guy. Now I want pizza, but we have purposely held back from getting any because our "house guests" (grandson and fiancee') worked at Domino's for the past six months or more and are quite pizza'd out, and that's the only kind we have around here except for store bought. So we will wait until they actually ASK for pizza. LOL. I always love to visit here. Thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Victor a stitch? After 6 months, I get where the 'kids' may be burned out on pizza. Tom usually buys an inexpensive grocery frozen pizza and 'doctors' it up with sausage, different kinds of cheese, etc.

      Delete
  6. Fun post! Have a great weekend. 😊❤️
    ---Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  7. in 2002 I bought a tiny cheap Kodak digital camera and that is the begiining of taking photos of food. I madly snapped everything, fast forward to current day and the smartphone has elevated snapping to the point of it would be hard to find an object I have not taken photos of. I am happy to hear you are letting go and eating a few things that were banned. Pizza is my 2nd favorite food, most favorite is a good burger... I am giggling trying to SEE in my Head driving with a pizza on a pan.. do you have to take the pan back? this is the question.
    about the weight gain and wrinkles, I think every now and then I should gain back the 70 I lost because if you think 25 lbs or wrinkles is bad just triple it. OV VEY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing Tom had steady hands. He didn't ask, but I sent him a DM and said we'd be back WITH his pan!

      Delete
  8. Is this pizza place in Montgomery?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love a good pizza...and I always take photos of our food! lolol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I so love a good pizza. I hadn't had one in quite awhile until I discovered one that had a cauliflower crust. It wa only slightly better than no pizza at all. But I'm trying to remain faithful to my no salt, no sugar diet. It's not easy at all but I don't want to be a diabetic. I'm not dieting to loose weight, but I think I may have lost a few pounds in the last 2 months. Now you have my mouth watering wanting a good pizza, I may be tempted in the near future to have a piece. One once in awhile shouldn't hurt! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried a cauliflower crust! I don't think one slice would make a difference; maybe ask your doctor?

      Delete
    2. I recently had a pizza with a cauliflower crust (ordered online) and HATED it. I love traditional pizzas - - to hell with diets and doctor's orders!

      Delete
  11. Where you were regarding the pizza place reminds me a lot of downtown Kennesaw, Myra. There is a dog groomer's in an old house where we took Finn for a much-needed bath and trim, and there are some breweries, too. And yes, the heck with diets!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!