Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4
Ann says, "Let's talk about books and reading. If you are not a reader, consider substituting movies and TV programs."
What book brought out your emotions and why?
What age are we talking about?! There have been so many, but I'm going with Garth Stein's, The Art of Racing in the Rain.
Had it not been recommended by a friend, it's doubtful I'd have given it a second glance. Automobile racing's, not my cup of tea.
Yet. As one reviewer said, 'The racing in the rain is a metaphor for life.'
In the space of a day I laughed out loud. I cheered. I ugly sobbed. (Perhaps it's best not read in pubic?)
Runners up: Emory's Gift, Bridges of Madison County
How has reading changed your life -- both for good or for bad?
What character(s) do you love and which do you hate and why?
If I can't identify with a character on some level, there's little likelihood I'll finish the book.
I want to know that character Burroughs describes, 'I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.'
Those I find insufferable?
The unrealistic, larger than life, shallow
What book or books do you think everyone should read once in their lifetime?
Y'all may think poorly of me, but I don't think the 'classics' should be required reading. (Who deems them 'classics', anyway?)
I'll just retell something I heard from the pulpit years ago:
"Go where you're fed."
Do any of these questions ignite a memory of an unforgettable book, a character you can't forget?
Have a sweet day, friends!
Hugs, Myra


I agree with you about the classics, Myra. I haven't read many of them and really have no desire to do so! I will have to look into the book you mentioned above. I think we do so much reading in school with our learning days, when we are passed them, I think it is good just to read to enjoy reading, no matter what we may choose to read :)
ReplyDeletebetty
I can't even recall all our required reading titles!
DeleteI do agree that books broaden our education. I've learned more from the books I've read than I ever learned in school. I do love to read and like a variety of different kinds too. I've been able to do a lot of armchair travel by reading books and have been to many places I'd never gone otherwise. And today is book lovers day ! Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteArmchair travel suits me fine, these days.
DeleteIt's safer and less expensive, too!
Sorry, I forgot to say, Love, ma
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteMyra, as you probably already know, I'm an avid reader. I do hope folks visiting here will order my books, too, if they haven't read them already.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
I hope so, too!
DeleteI'm in an extremely disconcerted mood today, so I'll make this short and sweet.
ReplyDeleteLike you, I was encouraged to read at a very early age. I became completely addicted to reading and my addiction never waned. Reading has definitely been the greatest satisfaction of my life and the foremost part of my education.
Favorite books? There's no possible way I could choose.
I know, right? Like asking one to identify their favorite child. (Wait a minute, maybe that one's easier. *grin*)
DeleteI cried all the way through Lassie come home when I read it at age 15. Daddy got so mad he was fuming and made me go to my room.
ReplyDeleteI cried all the way through Cujo! It broke my heart in pieces. the movie did not effect me, it was nothing like the book.
I just two days ago, book number 3 of a series I am unable to put down, I had to get up off the bed and go find kleenex because the DOG DIED.
I cried in another book a few weeks ago because the serial killer in it killed the cat, did not cry that he also killed people. Are you picking up what I am putting down?
I choose a book when I start to read it and by page 10 I am hooked and can't wait to finish it, but want to put thebook down so I will not be done with it.
I am midway book 4 of 7 of the new series
Tracking Jane
Book Series by Eduardo Suastegui
In my whole life, I doubt I have gone a single day without reading. Doctor office, hospitals, I even shut my mind down by reading when I go to bed, but just enough to make me stop fretting. I do not read half the night
I'm the same way. Even as a girl watching my beloved westerns, I didn't care who got killed -- as long as it wasn't a horse or a dog.
DeleteI like that saying "go where you're fed".. wow, great advice. I used to hate reading as a kid. I wanted to be outside playing but, now I do enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteBesides, it's too HOT to be outside playing!
DeleteYes , so true!!
DeleteI love reading so it has always been easy for me. I am very simple so I love a book or not! But we had a huge summer reading list when I was a kid. Boy did my mom make sure we read! It was easy for me. I like all your answers. I will always treasure To KIll A Mockingbird. I wish I had not lost contact with the sweet blogger who lived in Harper's Lee hometown and sent me bunches of postcards about the book in regard to "To KIll A Mockingbird". sigh....Have a terrific Tuesday!
ReplyDeleteI'd forgotten about those summer reading lists. Remember the Public Library had reading contests?
DeleteI started reading at the age of two. My parents used to feed me alphabet soups and pasta alphabets in tomato sauce. They'd put the letters on a plate for me to read.
ReplyDeleteI was not good at it. They thought I was dyslexic so they fed me Cheerios and spaghetti rings with tomato sauce.
Eventually, at the age of 21, I was able to read my first word: A for Apple.
There are so many books these days and so little time to read them all. Especially the big ones and the classics like Les Miserables. Who was Les anyway?
And War and Peace, Crime and Punishment, Sense and Sensibility, and such like. I usually wait until they are made into TV films and see them with the caption/subtitles on and then say I've read them.
Question: Has there ever been a film made into a book?
God bless, Mevely.
Interesting! Maybe that accounts for my lifelong aversion to pasta?
DeleteFilm to print? I hope one of my more educated readers can answer this question!
A perfect post for today. I love to read. Started being a book lover at an early age and it's still going strong 88 years later. Well, maybe I didn't start at birth. So, let's say 82.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful!
DeleteVery good answers. I had trouble answering some of these, but I like your answers.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Cathy!
DeleteI do think some of the classics should be read. Some like The Scarlett Letter have some wonderful moral truths and pretty progressive thinking for the times they were written. That being said I do not think any school age kid should ever be forced into reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles or Lord Jim.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed The Scarlett Letter.
DeleteI like The Bridges of Madison County. I read it after I saw the movie. My parents didn't read and I seldom if ever read. I need to try harder. I like those words from the pulpit!
ReplyDeleteBooks were always a part of my parent's home; I'm sad that my son was never interested.
Delete"Go where you're fed." I love it!
ReplyDeleteIt's been years, but I've never forgotten that!
DeleteBridges is a beautiful book and even the movie is good! Thanks for the thought on not having to read the classics. Everyone gushes over Little Women and Anne of Green Gables. I have tried and tried to read them and can't get past the first chapters. Love & hugs!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad I'm not the only one! xo
DeleteI am with you on many of the classics. There are a few I enjoyed, but over all...not so much. There are so many newer books that are wonderful. What speaks to a reader's heart is a classic.
ReplyDeleteI love that definition so much!
DeleteI enjoyed your answers and the quotes you shared.
ReplyDelete🤗
Delete