Saturday, November 23, 2024

Saturday 9








Michael Buble, "My Baby Just Cares for Me" (2016)
Unfamiliar with this week's song?  Hear it here.



🎵


Buble sings that his lover doesn't care much about the theater or new clothes.  Which have you done more recently -- attended a play/movie or added to your wardrobe?

I've been looking for 'rich brown' pants for a while ... and discovered a smokin' deal on leggings at Wal-Mart for only $6.96!



This song was first performed in 1930, 45 years before Buble was born.  What pop song do you love that is far older than you are?

Unlike today's genre, I'm guessing 30's "pop" means popular?  The first thing that came to mind is "I'll Be Seeing You."   

Random factoid -
I adore music from the 30's and 40's!  If I were ever a contestant on Don't Forget the Lyrics or Jeopardy (ha - in my dreams) I'd choose that genre/category.



The video for this song features a spinning vinyl record.  Do you still have a turntable? 

No, not since 1970-something.



Michael is currently appearing on The Voice.  Are you watching this season?  

Yes, it's one of our favorites.



Of all his albums, Micheal Buble's Christmas CD is his top seller.  Now that we're in the month of November it's time for you to weight in.  When do you think it's appropriate to start playing holiday songs?

Not a minute before Friday!

 


He unwinds by fishing, and he's very good at it.  Fishing is a sport that requires lots of gear.  Is there anyone in your life that has a hobby or passion that makes them easy to shop for?

Sadly, not any longer.
(If any of my relatives are reading this, please drop a hint in the comments?!)



Michael is a good cook and enjoys whipping up spaghetti bolognese.  What's on the menu at your home this weekend?

We're trying to use up left-overs before making room for the turkey and sides.   A few days ago, I tried something that -- while it sounded weird -- was actually quite tasty:  Lay 4 thick pork chops in the slow cooker.  Sprinkle dry onion soup dip on top ... smother with a large carton of sliced mushrooms ... then 1 can of Campbell's French Onion soup. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until the meat thermometer reads 145*.



In 2016 when Michael Buble released this song, the United States Postal Service posthumously honored child star Shirley Temple with a postage stamp.  Decades after leaving Hollywood, she served as US Ambassador to Ghana.  Could you find Ghana on a map or globe?

I wouldn't count on it, no.



Random question -- You neglected that soft drink and now it's gone flat.  Do you drink it anyway or dump it down the drain?   

I rarely drink soft drinks because of the carbonation.  So yes.  Provided it's an ice-cold Diet Dr. Pepper, I'll drink it.



Hugs, Myra









28 comments:

  1. Your pork chop recipe sounds really good. I'm always looking for better ways to cook pork chops. Right now I have a pork loin roast in the oven. They were on sale at a great price so that's what for dinner tonight! LOL. I love the old songs too. I do still have a turntable in one of those old fashioned looking record players that looks like an old radio. It has a tape deck and cd player too, but neither one works. I haven't tried the turntable in a long time...I don't have many records left anymore. I gave them all away before we got this as a gift. My dad collected records...but of course those are all gone to collectors after he died. He LOVED to play old records every day. Oh, no flat soda for me. I don't drink soda at all anyway, except for a random rootbeer float or a ginger ale. But that is very very seldom, and I definitely wouldn't want it flat and not cold! YUCK! LOL. I'm glad you found some pants you like at Walmart. They do have some good stuff if you look for it and order it. I hope you are having a lovely weekend. Is it chilly there? It's been pretty chilly here...39 this morning. But sunny and beautiful! Yay! Feels like Thanksgiving weather! Hope it lasts until then! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's deliciously chilly! I finally broke down and turned on the heat when the thermostat read 66* and our girls began shivering. We love those pork loin roasts, too!

      Delete
  2. No Christmas songs until Thanksgiving is over! I do like old songs from the 40's and actually have a CD of them which I haven't listened to in ages. I have to pull out my collection of Christmas tunes, too, once the season is in full swing.
    Blessings, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our CD player went belly-up, but Tom usually finds 'greatest hits' by decade on YouTube. I wouldn't want a steady diet of them, but it's a fun option.

      Delete
  3. Years ago I had a Campbell s soup cookbook and that pork chop recipe was in there. They even had a recipe for tomato soup cake! It tasted like a spice cake. Strange.
    We have a turntable and I still have many albums from when I was a teen - the Beatles, Beach boys, Santana, Jim Hendrix, the Doors and Janis Joplin to name a few. I’ve played them a few times but they sound old, kinda scratchy.
    I don’t drink carbonated beverages except occasionally a coke as a treat. Not that I don’t like them - just never wanted to drink them all the time and gain weight and I’ve never liked the taste of diet anything. Too sweet for me. I’m just glad I never got too hooked on soft drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomato soup cake?! That sounds like such fun; I may have to Google.

      Delete
  4. I like your recipe. Might try it.

    I have an old turntable. I don't use it to play records but to transfer old (out of print) records onto digital. Like most of Fr Francis' records I put on You Tube.

    I liked your answers, Mevely. Especially reminiscing on old records. The 60s and 70s are my chosen selection with a few from the 50s.

    God bless always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victor! Aren't we fortunate to have so many music channels available at our fingertips (on line).

      Delete
  5. I suppose I would have added to my wardrobe, but I am going to a play tomorrow.
    Favorite song from that era Tuxedo Junction
    Turntable - yes
    The Voice - no
    With the exception of My Beloved Sister everyone in my life is hard to by for.
    My menu is using foods from the freezer and eating leftovers.
    I can find the general area of Ghana, but if you gave me a map with the outline of the countries I probably could not be exact.
    I have been known to drink a flat coke before.
    This was fun
    The pork chops sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just cooked pork chops and wasn't happy. I didn't spice them up like I should have. Your recipe sounds delicious! Yes to The Voice! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly, I used 2 cans of French Onion soup instead -- and regretted it. Finally, cornstarch and flour made things right. Lesson learned!

      Delete
  7. Your recipe sounds really good, smiles. Wishing you a beautiful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a turntable, but we haven't used it in a long time. The recipe sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are fun, great answers and mine would pretty much be the same. I really enjoy Listening to Michael Buble. He has a very relaxing style of music. One of my very favorite songs is "I'll be seeing you." I watched the Notebook just this past week and of course, that song fits the movie perfectly. LOL...I think I want this played at my funeral. LOL. Hoping your Sunday is a very Blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Wishing y'all a splendid SONday.

      Delete
  10. can I send Bob to live with you? he sings 20 to 40's music, all day every day, he knows the lyrics to every song Sinatra ever sung. his parents played music from the time they were up until bedtime, and he was born in 1936. the young man on the voice that sings the old songs is his favorite of all the singers. If I hear I can't make you love me if you don't one more time I might come live with you myself. I like 50's music, and country. he likes those too but doesn't know the words.. I don't listen to Christmas Music except when its in a Hallmark movie. Bing Crosby white Christmas makes me want to bash what ever it is playing on and bash him post posthumously. yum on the pork chops. mother smothered everything in camels mushroom soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! While growing up I didn't pay any attention to my parent's music -- but it must have permanently permeated my brain cells.
      Agree with you about Bing.

      Delete
  11. I do love to listen to older music., mostly country tunes I have been adding to my wardrobe too. I needed some lighter weight fall clothing. Your pork chops do sound really good. Here I'm baking banana bread today!
    I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet your home smells wonderful! I thought about baking, but my bananas are still green.

      Delete
  12. I sure need some new clothes...but just can't seem to get with it to scope them out. Old and lazy...that's me.
    Rarely listen to The Voice because Dave isn't really into it. I would love to though. I guess I have an "old soul" and really like the Big Band sound and the songs of the 40's and 50's the most.
    I do have a turn table which is part of my Crosley CD, tape, player . I have a whole collection of records from early years. Elvis is my era and his sound still moves me.
    I am looking forward to singing along with my Christmas CD's some time soon. Probably while I'm decorating the tree.
    Umm. I do love pork chops and the many ways to fix them. They will probably be on the menu for Monday night.
    I very rarely drink soft drinks any more. Now they taste so sweet. Lots of times I have seltzer water with lemon. Its very satisfying and even tolerable Flat.. haha..
    Fun questions Myra, Hoping your Sunday is wonderful as you gear up for Thanksgiving.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No turntable here, but Tom often pulls up hits from different genres/decades on YouTube and streams them on the TV. How I wish we'd hung onto our LP's!

      Delete
  13. Wabash Cannonball and If I didn't care, I would thin mid 30s. But I sure forget. Wish I could hear now. i do miss songs that I could tell the words.
    My hobby is fixing things. LOL.
    I do so enjoy the visit here, you always mention things that kick in memories and thoughts. I enjoyed the stop. love from over this way....
    Sherry & jack smiling....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Since I've lost so much weight leggings have become my thing too. They are so comfortable. I even have a dark brown pair with pockets. Gotta have pockets.
    I enjoy Big Band music which is before my birth. It sounds so lively and fun.
    Our turntable and vinyl records are long gone. I don't miss them.
    Guess you know my response to drinking anything carbonated, flat or fresh. *lol*
    Now I need to look up where Ghana is ... 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lively and fun, yes! Not like so much of the angry, vulgar stuff that passes for music these days.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!