Saturday, November 2, 2024

Before Amen





Do you remember when someone (your parents, perhaps) first taught you to pray?  Maybe yours went something like mine:  "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.  If I should die before I wake [yikes!], I pray the Lord my soul to take.  Amen."


I'm not proud of it, but most nights I quickly prattled off the words by rote, never pausing to consider their meaning.   I didn't DISbelieve -- but God wasn't a part of my Monday-Saturday thought processes.


Later, He came and went ... depending on what was going on in my personal life.  


You've heard me say it before.  I'm eternally grateful for circumstances that led me to our little church and my Bible study sisters.   Some (studies) are better than others; we all have our favorites.  Until last Monday, I believed no-one could measure up to Jennifer Rothschild or Priscilla Shirer.  


Enter Max Lucado.   
Right away he acknowledges that unlike the PGA (Prayer Giants Association), he's a card-carrying member of PWA (Prayer Wimps Anonymous).

I long to be like Brenda. Cindy, even, whose prayers flow so effortlessly from the heart.  Were I to be asked?  I'm certain my throat would close up and I'd sound like Miss Piggy with strep.  Remember that old line, "Can't think, brain numb, inspiration won't come."


Unlike our previous study -- where the facilitator urged us to set a specific place and time to pray -- Max underscores my feelings. I don't need a specific time, a specific place to talk to God.   He and I visit regularly throughout the day. 

 

Max takes it one step further.   He says we don't have to "make theater" out of prayer like some.  Instead, he related an old story about when, at his daughter's piano recital, the worst happened.  Never mind that she knew the piece by heart, halfway through she froze.   Backstage, nestled between her parents arms she cried, "Oh, Daddy!"   That's what Max suggests.  When we're hurting, or we don't know what to say, "Oh, Daddy!" is a perfectly acceptable way to begin.   "Come to God the way a child comes to Daddy."


I sure like the pocket-size prayer Max shared.  I hope you do, as well.

"Father,
You are good.
I need help.
They need help.
Thank you,
In Jesus' name, amen."



I hope y'all enjoy a blessed evening!

Hugs, Myra






39 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this, and I am a big proponent of the simple prayers uttered from the heart when needed most, on the spot, without pretense or practice...just pure cries from the heart. l love the "Oh Daddy!" prayers. Yep. Totally. I also prayed the "now I lay me down to sleep prayer" at bedtime, and at the end I tacked on a whole list of people I wanted God to bless, "God Bless Mommy and Daddy, and then I listed all my siblings and my grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins and everyone in the whole wide world, Amen." Once in a while I feel like resorting to that same childhood prayer, but the names have changed a bit over time. The majority of that childhood list are already in heaven, being blessed by God I am sure! Precious memories. Thank you for reminding me of this today. Sometimes we get so caught up in the here and now that we forget to pause and pray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too used to mention umpteen relatives and friends by name for God to bless; not forgetting their zip code in case God blessed the wrong person.

      God bless, Pamela.

      Delete
    2. Exactly! In spite of my Word for the year (Present), I need to carve out middle ground to pause and pray.

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful post, Mevely. Thank you so much.

    My favourite and often used prayer is, "HEEEEELP!!!"

    I know God hears it and comes to my aid.

    We don't need a special place to talk to God, or a special prayer time of ten minutes, half-an-hour or more. Or to repeat prayers like the Rosary. Some people do so and it is OK - God loves that.

    But for the most part He wants to hear how we're doing, the good things as well as the bad in our life. And where He can help.

    Just like any loving parent really. Just as you would want to hear from your children when they come to you and help them where you can.

    God bless you and your family. Thank you fro this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that one! (HEEEEELP!) Thank you for being such a valued supporter of my prattle - whatever it may be.

      Delete
  3. For years prayer overall was mystifying to me. It was like the mantra you were taught: cold, repetitious, unfeeling. So until I started attending Ladies Wednesday Night Bible Study at our First Baptist Church - Blackshear in 2014 I was spiritually stuck. Part of the problem is I didn't grow up in a Christian household. The only time I heard God's name was as a curse word. When I gave my heart to Jesus at the age of 13-14, I floundered terribly for years. There was no direction at all. It stayed pretty much like that until First Baptist. There I learned more about how, when and why we pray from those lovely ladies than I did in all my years of professing Christ and Church attendance. I felt like a little child starting from the very beginning and LOVED IT. I was a total sponge the entire time there. I learned so much about how wonderful it is to spiritually swim in His wonderful word and feel His goodness every day. Speaking to Him comes naturally now. I am so grateful. He really is our "Daddy" and I mean that with the greatest respect as one who didn't have a good Father. I finally do.
    Love & Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your candid testimony, Pam. I'm so glad you've found our Good Father.

      Delete
  4. I think most of us kids did the same with the 'Now I lay me down to sleep' prayer. Since learning of Max L. a good while ago I have learned to really respect him and his words. I enjoy it when I find someone who knows how to speak my language.
    Thanks for the kick in on memories, Sherry remembered it was at church in Eustis, FL where we are now that we did one study with a book of his...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first "Max" study, but I hope it won't be my last. He's so REAL, isn't he?

      Delete
  5. Myra, thank you for this post!! Thank you for putting some of my thoughts into writing!! Love this. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was apprensive about posting this, so your words mean a lot, Terri. 💛

      Delete
  6. Max Lucado is amazing. I feel like I could sit down and have a cup of coffee and a chat with him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS I'm so glad you have so much spiritual support. That means a lot. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read all your words and all the comments and it has helped me a lot, listening to others thoughts on prayers. as a child I did the now I lay me prayer and always tacked on impossible requests, like please turn me into a boy. ha ha. it took until I was a preteen 12 year old to realize prayers for impossible things do not work, like a leg cut off, we can't pray to put it back. we can pray for it but we have to pray for strength to learn to walk with out it. that is how I pray but find i forget until a NEED slaps me in the face. I do believe in prayer and that it works and I do what I did to my dad, cry out when I need him.. I also start with a praise for what i am thankful for

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've expressed what we all feel from time to time. Thank you for reminding me to begin with thanks!

      Delete
  9. Beautifully said, Myra. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that quote! Thank you for sharing it with me, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A few years after Sam and I married, we changed from being Methodist to joining the Assemble of God church. I love this church...but when we first started there...I felt that my prayers were so very child like. (God hears the prayers of a child). but my prayers did not have big words that what I thought had much depth to them. Comparing your christianity to a seasoned prayer warrior is not healthy. Yes, you can learn, but you can't allow yourself to feel defeated. My prayers are still the same as the way they have always been, but the only difference, I don't worry. I know my sincerity and I know God is pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shug. Yes, He knows what's in our hearts.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful sermon and devotion. Our bible study studies the same group of people so we are similar. I learned that prayer too when I was little - now I say it because it is so true! I have a HARD time praying in public. God hears us as we talk to Him during the day too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. At this season of my life, God is not far from my thoughts and I pray throughout the day. Some are specific and others are quick. As a Bible study group leader, I try to mix it up before we begin. Sometimes I read a psalm that relates to what we’re studying or I ask someone to start us in prayer. The ones that bless my heart the most, are the simple, “oh daddy” prayers.The main point is to pray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your study, Debby.

      Delete
  14. Yes, I remember that prayer. My parents were very involved in our Presbyterian church. I'm sure I went to classes during church when I was young. I agree, it wasn't part of my daily week at home. Max has written some excellent books. I belonged to a church for several years here in CA but then we moved too far away for me to keep going. All I can say is that I do talk to God every single day. I love the prayer you shared. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You so spoke right to my heart with this post, Myra. I'm constantly conversing with God throughout the day. I have tried the more methodical approaches, but they simply don't work for me. That "Oh, Daddy" prayer of Lucado's? It says it all!
    Blessings always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, either! ....Unlike what Anne Graham Lotz (our last study) says about time and place.

      Delete
  16. thecontemplativecat here. So meaningful. Go hears the groaning of our hearts. Ex. 2:23-3:22

    ReplyDelete
  17. YES !!! A Big Resounding YES to the "Oh, Daddy" prayers. Those cut through all the pomp and fear of not saying the right things.
    Thank you for sharing this with me.
    God Knows
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. I said that same prayer every night as a little girl. Before saying 'amen' I would 'God bless' everyone I knew. I went through a time when I wasn't walking the walk. . . thankful I found my way back. I wrote a poem about it, maybe I'll share it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi my friend. Thanks for the nice comments on my blog just now. I'm praying that your hubby will be feeling better and am thankful his lungs are clear.
    Lynne was a bit cranky today and really didn't know me at all. She did ask after I had been there for 2 hours who I was.. just nothing connects much any more. Its so sad.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  20. Since the second grade I learned Jesus is my key to answering my prayers. I fell for the saints who never could give me a direct answer. So I took the elderly parish priests advice and went to the man who hung on the cross for me. Weird as it was as a backward shy child something inside of me lite up when I talked to Jesus. I still pray as simply as I always have. He hears all our prayers as long as we are sincere and we trust Him. Sometimes that trusting is hard other times it is all I know. Thank you and much love to you and Tom.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!