Friday, November 22, 2024

Flashback Friday

 


There are days I feel mighty fortunate to be a member of the 'Baby Boomer' generation.  Sure, there are places that no longer work the way I'd like ...  what sometimes comes out of my mouth isn't the word I meant.  But how blessed we've been to witness technology in Real Time!


For instance --
Tho' he wasn't especially skilled my father loved his camera.
What remains is probably a 50-50 mix of black/white and color photographs.  Unlike the hundreds (thousands?) of images we take on our cell phones, I'm thinking most people in the 50's made careful, deliberate choices.  Film and the cost of developing wasn't exactly cheap.  Moreso, if one preferred Kodachrome.


Are any of y'all fans of The Voice?
I love the new-to-me song I heard the other night.  The words, how they engraved themselves on my heart!


You know it, too?




As each year's calendar pages turn to the holidays, more and more I get swept away on a Sentimental Journey.

With these lyrics in mind, here's a hodgepodge of some favorite images taken around Thanksgiving and Christmas .... many years ago.


My father (ca. 1927)
Tho' he never came from means, he loved nice clothes

Mother (at front) with fellow students

Second and third from left, my parent's engagement(?) dinner 

War time in Fort Lauderdale

I wish I'd seen it in color!



My happy place

Aboard the Queen Mary ...
feeling humiliated at the make-your-own-hat party.
I can still recall every detail of that forest green dress with the white dotted embroidery



Mule excursion down the Grand Canyon
I'm second behind the guide.  Mother's behind me and that's daddy bringing up the rear.

You should've seen it in color!



Hugs, Myra











 



 

30 comments:

  1. Oh Myra...how I love this post....The song is awesome and each of your photos!! WOW. Jamey Johnson is a talented singer! It is a song that will for sure take you down memory lane. Makes me appreciate the black and white photos of my grandparents and parents. Thanks for sharing...I played this song and replayed it again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I appreciate hearing that, Shug. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I love the Voice and it is my favorite of all the reality shows. I had not heard the song before it was on the Voice and love it too. I did see my mothers wedding photo in color, because it was black and white and granddaddy had it colored. Black and white shows details we don't see in the colored ones, and I used to spend hours going through the suitcase of old photos that mother kept. its all in Augusta now with my Niece who is the historian of our family. great post and I really liked seeing your family photos and wish I could see your dress in color. My eyes went right to the saddle oxfords your mom has on, because I had to wear them when I was 15 and hated them. no idea why I did, probably because I was "15"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those colorized photos! Not sure why, but they (mine) sort of creeped me out. (lol)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your photos with us, Mevely. Yes, old photos bring back memories when I look back at those we have in our album. Especially the monochrome ones of times gone by and loved ones no longer with us. When we miss their absence it is because their presence played an important part in our lives.

    Thanx also for the country music song. This was a special post today, Mevely. Thank you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that perspective, Victor. Thank you for being such a supportive friend.

      Delete
  4. The holidays are inevitably a special time when we are haunted by sentimentality and nostalgia. I think that's the most magical part of the season.
    I've always loved that wartime photo of your parents in Fort Lauderdale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Haunted by sentimentality and nostalgia" -- I love that!

      Delete
  5. This season, with the holidays fast approaching, I get to feeling nostalgic, too, Myra. Thanks for sharing these amazing photos with us here today of beautiful times and people gone by. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and saying the sweet things you do!

      Delete
  6. We don't have commercial TV so have not watched The Voice. Many have I hear.
    I'm from the take-the-photo thoughtfully generation as we had to go through all that bracketing a shot carefully, then waiting for it to be developed and hope it turned out well. Many got tossed and that was expensive. I started taking my own photos about 1969 or so. I was around 12 years old. I still prefer using a "real" camera to my cell phone.
    Wonderful photos that you've shared. I've been scanning oodles of my old photos with that new Canon LiDE 300 scanner I bought. That thing is super! I highly recommend it.
    The Holidays are happening way too fast now, I agree. And now there's too many of them. Seems like every time I turn around the Gov is shutting down for some real or imagined "holiday" while still getting paid. It's gotten boring and annoying.
    That said, though, I do enjoy Thanksgiving. I think it and Christmas are my two favorites to celebrate.
    Blessings my friend! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Take the photo thoughtfully generation" -- me, too! I may have to put that scanner on my Wish List!

      Delete
  7. Love these photos...so special! I know you treasure them. I'm listening to the song as I write. Wow. Yes, you should've seen it in color...my grandfather used to take a lot of kodachrome slides and one of our family gathering favorite things to do was have a slide show of all the old pictures. We actually still do that when we have a family reunion at my brother's house. It's very special. Your parents' "engagement" dinner picture is very much like my parents' engagement dinner. Almost identical! What year was that, I wonder? I think my parents were engaged in 1940 or 41, and then they got married in 1942. I have shown their picture before in a post about them. It's amazing how similar it is to yours. Must've been a thing to sit at the table and take a family picture ! Of course, we still do the same thing every change we get, and yes, now it's in color. Sadly, so many of my newer pictures (digital) have never been printed. They exist only online in my posts or in some flash drives. They are too expensive to print, so I fear many will be lost to newer technology as the years go by. That makes me sad, but I really don't know what to do about it. Thank you for sharing this. It brought back memories, and I love your special memories. That mule ride into the Grand Canyon must've been exciting!! Wow. And you are so cute in your "green dress" on the Queen Mary. Yes, I wish it was in color. Would love to see the color of the dress! But we can imagine it, can't we? Thankfully we still have that!! Have a lovely weekend. This was so nice. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my parents inviting friends to watch their slide shows, too ... the musty smell of the projector when first turned on. Isn't that crazy about the engagement pictures? My folks were married in '38, so I'm guessing the year before?

      Delete
  8. Oh Myra, thank you for those wonderful photos of your history and beautiful memories. Love them all. I cherish all the photos that were mostly in black and white and I am thankful that I have a lot of my folks albums to go through and remember.
    I love photos with my cell but I really need to have my photos printed to look at , hold and look at again. Technology is wonderful but I am a touchy - feely kind of person (:0)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And I've noticed pretty picture frames aren't as popular as they once were. I always enjoyed gifting them -- and receiving in turn.

      Delete
  9. I do remember that Jammie Johnson song - from quite a while ago. I don't watch the Voice though. I just love looking at older photos - people were so serious in those days or look serious. You wonder what they were thinking don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the pictures! Thank goodness we have them to stir up memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such great memories, Myra. Didn't Jamey Johnson just get arrested? ANYWAYS, wishing you a beautiful day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no ... I hadn't heard that! Happy weekend, Linda.

      Delete
  12. Ahhhh YES, I could understand the words since the closed caption was there. YES the song is great never heard it before, but YES it brings back lots of thoughts. YEP, true dat, no one snapped many pictures because of the film and development costs back in that time. And if I interpreted it right your dad was a chief in the service. And I have said it lately, i seldom see resemblances, but imma thinking you look like your mama..
    Love ya and yes I did love the song...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Because of the cost of developing some of the rolls my parents took had Halloween, Christmas, and Easter on the same roll.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree. I like how it was when we were growing up. My dad loved filming. Wish we had all of those to watch. I do watch the voice. Very talented people. Those photos are precious.so you loved ice skating? I have a box of photos from my dad that I need to go through. Thankfully, our daughter Amber is into keeping all the treasures from the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Debby. I hope my son and/or granddaughter will want to keep those boxes of our older family members. So few do, anymore.

      Delete
  15. Myra, I thoroughly enjoyed your family photos from years gone by. So sweet! I love The Voice and it's the only show like that, that I still watch. That song you highlighted was/is so moving. Loved this post, dear friend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri! I actually got the idea from your recent post showing 'olden' images, and these song lyrics just seemed to fit.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!