Hello friends,
It's a bright and beautiful morning in 'Bama ... like Mother Nature's trying to make amends for all the rain we've been experiencing.
Speaking of bright ...
We had a great appointment with Tom's new ortho doc Tuesday morning! First thing he comes in with a big smile and outstretched arm, offers firm handshakes. (No more annoying fist bumps - yay!)
Bottom line, he's reluctant to do the hip replacement until Tom's fully recovered from next month's cardio ablation. Plus, he wants to consult with both the neurosurgeon and infectious disease specialist to get their opinion. (The more I learn about the osteomyelitis, the more I realize how fortunate we were.)
Grateful when he offered a prescription for Tom's pain levels -- but oh my word, what a cacophony ensued.
When, after two days, we hadn't heard from the VA pharmacy I started calling: No, they didn't have any record of a script. Called Southern Orthopedics: Yes, she called it in Tuesday afternoon. "What's the number and I'll call it in again."
Did you know?
..... Doctors can't issue a replacement script to another pharmacy. (Not sure who 'they' are, but she said 'they' would know and refuse to fill it.)
..... If one spends an entire afternoon trying to reach a human at the VA -- only to be disconnected four times -- one might be sorely tempted to press '7' to be connected with the Veterans Suicide Crisis line?
Yesterday morning, I tried Southern Orthopedics again.
..... No, we don't issue paper prescriptions any longer. (News to me, but then I'm still the generation who puts two spaces after a period.)
Then, "Would you mind waiting while I talk to my supervisor?" Lo and behold, they decided to call in a replacement script to Walgreens.
Not only that, a few hours later, I got another call from the same young lady -- she wanted to ensure we were able to get the pills before she left for the holiday weekend. How neat is that?! There's still some great customer service-minded folks out there; I'm going to send a note to her management team.
Back to Thursday.
Since day drinking wasn't an option and the rain hadn't begun to let up.....
I put on my hunters plaid PJs, lit the fireplace and decided to build a pot of chicken detox soup. There's lots to be said about chopping raw veggies to smithereens while stressed! Because I loathe 'doing' broccoli, however, I did spend a few more pennies on pre-floreted greens. Oh, and because I only had no-sodium beef broth on hand, that's what they got. Yummy, nevertheless.
Anyway. Despite the cost of gas, it seems lots of folks are hitting the highways. I've many great memories of trying to achieve the greatest distances in the shortest amount of time. Thankful to have left all that in the rear-view mirror!
Aside from watching the PBS Memorial Day Concert from Washington (always appointment TV!), we've nothing on our agenda.
While I've not seen anyone selling poppies in years, I saw this little factoid on FB and thought it appropriate to share:
"Today I saw a man selling poppies stop a lady and asked if he could reposition her poppy. While doing so, he told that lady she should wear the poppy on her right side: The red represents the blood of all those who gave their lives, the black represents the mourning of those who didn't have their loved ones return home; and the green leaf represents the grass and crops growing and future prosperity after the war destroyed so much. The leaf should be positioned at 11 o'clock to represent the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, the time that WWI formally ended."
Be good, be kind,
Hugs, Myra



grinning over this thought you left, "...Since day drinking wasn't an option"--yeah been there and doing that, grin. NOT drinking mind, you, but it does sound nice, lol.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a beautiful weekend. Keeping y'all in prayer.
Thanks, Linda. The same to y'all!
DeleteThis post reminds me of why I'd like to permanently get rid of my telephones (I won't, but it's always a tempting prospect...)
ReplyDeleteHomemade chicken soup sounds wonderful. It's been cool and rainy here in the TN boonies and almost feels like autumn.
I haven't seen anyone wearing Memorial Day poppies since I was a child. I hope you have a pleasant holiday weekend.
I'm finally going to cook a ham that I had in the freezer since Easter!
Now THAT sounds good on a damp and dank evening.
DeleteYou would have to be here to understnd, this is family BLOG reading time, 5-15 comments per paragraph. Everyone loves it. But I remember you are from the generation with 2 spaces after a period (me too!) when I think about it. LOL Also remember the hand shakes and smiling Dr. Love from Florida I typed NC then remembered I haven't left yet. Love from here.......
ReplyDeleteHow fun! Now I'm wondering if JJ might begin a blog of his own?
DeletePS: I reread that comment, You should ignore it. ;') that is ;-) Crazy time here....
ReplyDeleteWish I was there!
DeleteI didn't know that about the correct way to wear a poppy. Thanks for the info! Wow with trying to get a simple prescription filled! What an ordeal! I'm still with you about 2 spaces after a sentence. I think it looks better that way! That soup sounds delicious. I too buy the "pre cut" broccoli. It is worth the extra money for sure! We too are not doing much this weekend but already, as you would imagine, there are the back ups on 1-17 heading north (started Thursday).
ReplyDeletebetty
I'm still scratching my head about the Rx. Maybe since it's classified as an opioid the rules are stricter. I probably shouldn't say anything, but we've noticed a marked decline in the VA under this new administration.
DeleteI now have Day drinking blasting as I type. HAD to hear it. I do love Little Big Town. gave me a big laugh. If I ate your detox it might kill me, or at least make me wish I was dead. one well cooked and mashed brocoli floret is all I can take at one time. I don't know anything about Poppys and until I started blogging and the internet school broadsided me with Things I never Knew, I had never even heard of a poppy and still have yet to see one. I don't even remember M day being a holiday until i moved her 38 years ago. that is interesting about how to wear one
ReplyDeletewe have zero plans other than i have a long to do list and am taking a day off from blogging to do some of it. Monday will be a to do list day for me.
I think it is crazy for a doctor to shake hands and spread germs. or anyone to shake hands, i avoid it like the plague and always have. it seems silly to me and fist bump even sillier plus the silly high five. Covid is rising quickly here, we are up to 100,000 with the virus in our town and climbing. today at Walmart all the employees were back to wearing masks and more than half the people were. we went and got our 2nd booster 3 days ago. that makes 4 vaccine shots.
Hmm, I like Little Big Town but have never heard that song. Not sure if I first heard about the poppies from my father or when we had to memorize In Flanders Fields in grade school.
DeleteFirst of all, thank the Lord that Tom is getting better. Still praying for you both.
ReplyDeleteOver here, Remembrance Sunday is the nearest Sunday to 11 November.
Finally ... why, why why? Why do you put two spaces after a period. I am editing books of sermons for Fr Francis. He puts two spaces after each period and my computer does not like it. It makes editing so difficult. I am now on book 9 of a series.
God bless always.
Good question, Victor! The short answer's because that's the way we were taught. I think it just appears more pleasing. Maybe your computer's a Millennial .. or Gen Z?
DeleteEvery time you tell us a story, I have to tell you one more time...girl, you need to write a book! You are an exceptionally engaging writer. That said, I'm glad you got the prescription mess worked out and will continue to pray about Tom's medical concerns and a good outcome there. Thanks for the info on the poppies. I didn't know about how to wear them or all that they represented. Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet thing to say! Thank you, Stacy!
DeleteI have not seen anyone selling poppies in a few years either. When I was a kid my mother, who was not one for indulgences, would buy them for us.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you like the new orthopedics doc.
It's too late now, but I'm going to see if I can't find them on line. Just because!
DeleteI think that is the right choice on the hip replacement. My sister in law just had the ablation done and there were some medication adjustments afterwards. Sorry about the prescription issues. I just spent a few days making calls between our OptumRX and the doctors office. Frustrating! That was nice of her to call you back. Thank you so much for the poppy story. Have a nice weekend.
ReplyDeleteUgh, I'm sorry! I'd almost rather have a root canal than run interference between the VA and Tom's doctors.
DeleteInteresting about the poppies. Thanks for that!! I am working Monday. Sounds like Tom has a good doctor. Sorry for your trouble with the VA. Joe had good experiences both here in town and at the hospital in Tampa. Have a good weekend... and it's after 5:00 now!! :)
ReplyDeleteWe've experienced wonderful care from the VA, up 'til a couple years ago. People are quitting left and right, including Tom's doctor.
DeleteSorry, this is Myra -- Blogger's acting out again.
DeleteI will always put a period and two spaces after a sentence. My typing teacher smacked our hands with a ruler if we didn't do it right, so I'm not about to break Miss Strange's rules now. (true, that was her name! And she lived up to it.) As for poppies, I never knew the correct way to wear them, but I do remember people selling them every Memorial Day, or was it also for Veteran's Day? Now I'm not sure. I am sorry about the trouble with the VA and prescriptions, etc. Yes, if it is an opioid or other type of controlled substance, they are very strict about how it is prescribed, etc. The reasoning is good, but just a lot of trouble for people who need their medicines and would not or do not abuse them. It's another sign of the times. I do enjoy your posts, and always look forward to whatever fun things you are going to share with us. I might need the recipe for the detox chicken soup. Explain that to me, please? Thank you!! Have a blessed rest of your weekend.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Pam! If memory serves, I think the vets sold poppies on both occasions. I'm sending you an e-mail with that recipe!
DeleteI had trouble getting used to one space after the end of a sentence, but WordPress seems to insist upon it so I have adapted. Life is one adjustment after another. 😊
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the health issues, I'm glad Tom seems to have a good doctor.
Interesting about WordPress; I never would have guessed.
DeleteSometimes getting medical scripts can be so maddening. I'm glad this all worked out for you, Myra. The doctor you all saw makes sense - an ablation isn't anything to take lightly, although the procedure worked miracles for Danny. I'm sure it will for Tom, too!
ReplyDeleteHave a great Memorial Day weekend!
Thank you so much! Y'all do the same!
DeleteThanks for the poppy info. I hadn't heard that before and now will wear mine properly. I didn't see anyone offering them this year but I have one from previous years that I usually don. Thankfully you got the meds situation straightened out. Your weekend is going to be a lot better than it would have otherwise. Yes, there are still some good people out there and they deserve a little appreciation when we find them for sure! Hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend! It is warm and sunny here and I'm thankful we are drying out! Love, ma
ReplyDeleteOh, I was so surprised when I walked in church this morning and saw them handing out poppies! Glad you're finally getting the sunshine you enjoy!
Delete