Wednesday, May 25, 2022

L'chaim! To life!

 


Welcome back to the Hodgepodge!
When I heard Joyce say today is National Wine Day ... how could I not participate?!
Come, sit for a spell!


* * *



She asks ...

Do you like wine? Yes   
Red or white?  Red
Dry or sweet? Dry 
Do you have a favorite?
Masi Amarone.  I first heard about it in the book I was reading -- the protagonist chose it ("a big red") for his important date.  Because it's pricier than what I like to pay, I've only ever had a glass or two.

Have you ever been to California wine country?  No
Or any other wine region?
Yes. Tuscany, Italy.  Years ago, I enjoyed a 'sometimes' relationship with a gentleman who lived there.

What's a dish you make that calls for wine?
Occasionally I'll sauté fresh mushrooms in butter and wine to serve atop a steak.



What's something you've whined about lately?
The price of gas.  Ugh.



Last time you were 'wined and dined?  Tell us about it.
Again, this was years ago ... when cruising was still an elegant, intimate experience.

That was the first time I'd tasted caviar -- and was surprised to realize I liked it!


Three cheers for our American servicemen (and women)~



This will be the last Hodgepodge in the month of May.  Somehow next Wednesday the calendar rolls into June.  Before we go, though, sum up your May in 12 words or less.
Every day's a banquet.  Some tasted better than others.  Still, I'm full.



Insert your own random thought here.





Ciao for now! xo
Myra



36 comments:

  1. I love this "Every day's a banquet. Some tasted better than others. Still, I'm full." And this is how I want to live the rest of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. one word answer to all the wine question. Teetotaler! my top 3 whines are Bob Bobby and Robert. I was only wined and dined once, 1983, warrant officer, helicopter pilot took me to my first and last resturant that the waiter pulls out the chair, I hated it, shows a wine list, they were not impressed I wanted iced tea, I was so embarssed to be in the resturant and felt like everyone new i knew nothing, like Pretty woman and the snails, but she had beauty going for her, I did not... funny thing was that was first and last date. ha ha now asked me how many times I have been to a burger joint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if that officer/pilot didn't want to take you some place you felt comfortable -- or made you FEEL comfortable, you're so better off without him!

      Delete
  3. I love your ending. 😊👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red wine, caviar, Tuscany, romantic relationships.......wonderfully satisfying topics of pleasure.

    I've never been to Italy, but I visited the California wine country numerous times. And I used to indulge in caviar when I lived in Hollywood and thought I was sophisticated. That was long ago when it was possible to buy good but fairly inexpensive caviar.
    Nowadays gas is more expensive than caviar (*sigh*).

    I had no idea this was National Wine Day. The quality of my homemade wine has improved greatly since I first started making it. This week I'm in the process of making cranberry wine and apple wine.

    What have I whined about lately?
    Just about everything. My life is presently sinking faster than the Titanic........but wine is a lifeboat,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Satisfying at the time, but I'm relieved to have left that in my rearview mirror. Cranberry wine, hmmm? I'm all for what the late (sometimes great) John Lennon sang, "Whatever gets you through the night."

      Delete
  5. Love your answers! Particularly the one about the romance in Tuscany. I remember tasting caviar once too, but I didn't really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I wonder if that's even still a thing? Don't get around much any more.

      Delete
  6. I love your "sum up" of May - that is beautiful!! I also want to know about that sometimes relationship -- that comment made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! BTW, I sent you a PM about the other.

      Delete
  7. Fun hodgepodge Myra. I have heard and seen in photos how extravagant cruise meals can be. Fun May wrap up. Happy days to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sadly, I think most cruise lines are now consumed with booking as many heads in beds as possible; quality has suffered.

      Delete
  8. I have the same taste in wine as you do, Myra. My favorite? A good cabernet sauvignon!
    I, too, love our American service men and women. Whenever I see one of them out and about, I always make a point of thanking them for their service to our country.
    And yes, we need both coffee and wine to function properly - lol!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I've not done that in a while. I need to step up my game and let them know THEIR lives matter.

      Delete
  9. We would get along just fine with a bottle of red!! Love that last saying! Another fun Hodgepodge and I enjoyed your answers (so similar to mine!)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe next time I come to Florida I'll break down at buy a bottle of Masi at Massario's!

      Delete
  10. I've not heard that expression 'everyday's a banquet' but I like it. Thanks for joining the HP today...have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My mother was always saying, "Every day's a gift" and I'd think "Ya, but I like some better than others." It evolved from there.

      Delete
  11. I like how you summed up May! That was an eloquent way to put the month! That had to be an adventure with the relationship with the man from Tuscany. Oh my goodness, I looked up that wine, Masi Amarone, wow with the price! I can see how you would settle on a glass occasionally and not make a habit of it. Such a cute random thought too :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betty! Now I'm wondering if that restaurant where your son works doesn't have it on their wine list. If it does -- and you try it -- please let me know!

      Delete
  12. I always love the hodge-podge.. I normally have one glass of red wine every night. To be honest, the cheapest I can find. That used to be the gallon jug wine, now the Box wine. My Dr. recommended it and advised if I did not know wine, get the cheapest. Being a cheap skate. i follow the Dr.'s orders (when it suits me) LOL Thanks for an entertaining visit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother's doc 'prescribed' the same thing -- for her high blood pressure! Nothing wrong with box wine; there's a little one in our fridge right now.

      Delete
  13. I like your random thought at the end.

    The only bottle of wine I like is an empty one. It means I can open another one.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL loved your last quote; need coffee and wine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I'd like to have that on a plaque in the kitchen.

      Delete
  15. May has brought us warmer weather and flowers blooming. May is the month of opportunities to see something new every day ! April shower have brought May flowers. I love the month of May but only occasionally have wine. We have grapes on Ohio and I've been to vineyards here for a wine tasting. I try never to whine too much, I'm too blessed to be anything but happy ! Hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I love your outlook, Ma! You've certainly waited for warm days and bright blooms a long time.

      Delete
  16. For got to say this is 'ma'

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed your answers. I'd love to go to Tuscany...I've been to Venice and Como, but want to visit other regions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I looked the wine up and yes it is a little pricey but I might get some for a special occasion to try it. Sounds like an interesting story in Italy. I just paid $5.95 a gallon and that was a discount because of a debit purchase. I love your three cheers. Love your random.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm wanting some, too! Just wish I had someone who likes wine to share!

      Delete
  19. Wine sounds good. I hope you have beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!