Welcome back, friends!
Joyce begins ….
Expect the unexpected on From This Side of the Pond! Here's her x-ray question: When was the last time you felt like Superman? What's your superpower? Explain.
Felt like Superman?
Never. I'd rather cheer from the sidelines.
Wasn't it just the other day I quipped about my 'super' sincerity detector (INsincerity, if you will).
Never. I'd rather cheer from the sidelines.
Wasn't it just the other day I quipped about my 'super' sincerity detector (INsincerity, if you will).
Are you a fan of the 'superhero' type movies? If so, what's your favorite.
Not even a little bit, no.
Are you?
Have you postponed or canceled a trip to the dentist in recent weeks, and if so, when do you think you'll feel comfortable going back? How about other routine medical procedures?
Ugh. It's been far too long since I've seen my dentist. But, I'm happy to wait. I don't expect my teeth are going anywhere ….. plus PicMonkey's got that neat teeth-whitening feature going for it.
Yes, my consult for eye surgery's been postponed to June 24. Obviously, I'm not getting the 90-day money-back on my glasses, but peace of mind's far more important.
Um, I wouldn't say 'youthful.'
When I realize my age -- or see obituaries of former classmates -- I think, "That can't be right!" Most days my mind fools me into believing I'm still 40-something.
THEN.
I try to get up without making ugly noises and go look in the mirror.
These days Joyce says she feels compelled to include some sort of corona-related question in the HP: What's the strangest thing you've seen in relation to the virus? Something that really struck you as odd, made your stop and think, 'Dorothy, we're not in Kansas anymore.'
I don't know if it's the strangest. But anytime I see (televised coverage) of caregivers in haz-mat suits, vague shapes and shrouds everywhere.....
it's like I'm watching a futuristic horror flick.
Given the crowds and near-carnival atmosphere we witnessed at Lowe's the other day, it doesn't feel real.
Insert your own random thought here.
I hate to admit it, but fear I'm becoming a caricature in a seasonal meme.
There's little doubt I'll shed a few unwanted pounds, but I'm getting fed up! Something Lysa Terkheurst addressed in a recent Bible study, hit the bullseye.
There's little doubt I'll shed a few unwanted pounds, but I'm getting fed up! Something Lysa Terkheurst addressed in a recent Bible study, hit the bullseye.
Not sure I've the nerve to do so, but someone suggested taping a piece of paper over the little window on my scales which reads, "Peace."
Peace: not defined by a number, but an attitude.
What do you think?
My goodness, this post feels a bit sobering. I think a little levity's in order.
Thanks so much for your visit. Please stay safe!
Hugs,
Myra






The thing is, we're all getting a little fractious these days. It is difficult to lighten up a little, and all days seem to blend with each other. Especially when like here, they days are still grey and rather cold and wet.
ReplyDeleteI suggest people should do something different to lighten the mood and just to be different.
For example, on a Monday, walk all day with just one shoe on. Barefoot on one foot just for fun. You're at home. No one will notice.
On a Tuesday walk backwards all day. Hold on to things in case you fall. But walk backwards.
On Wednesday, carry a vegetable in your underwear all day. A potato, carrot or whatever. You'll feel different.
You get the idea, do something you've never done before which you can now do and blame it on lock-down, or the weather, or old age or whatever else you feel like blaming your odd behaviour on.
On a serious note: let us all pray for each other and trust in God that all will be well according to His will.
God bless, Mevely.
ADDENDUM: Years ago I did do one of the suggestions mentioned above. Can you guess which?
DeleteI went shopping to the greengrocers some half a mile away, probably less. I bought 2 kilos of potatoes, one kilo of carrots and one kilo of apples. On the way home the plastic bag the shopkeeper gave me burst under the weight and all the fruits and vegetables fell to the ground.
I was resourceful in those days. I took off the shoelaces off my boots and tied my trousers very tight around my legs on the shins, just above my feet. Then I put the potatoes, carrots and apples into my trousers. At the waist, in case you're wondering!
My trouser legs swelled under the weight. I nearly lost my trousers but tightened my belt even more. I walked slowly home carrying my purchases in my trousers. Because my boots were loose without the laces I walked slowly as if I had Velcro at the soles of my shoes. I lifted one leg, moved it forward a step, and then the other. Step by step I got home. People were looking at me and wondered if I was OK with inflated legs three times the original size.
When I got home, my wife was not impressed at my ingenuity.
God bless.
You are a stitch! I could actually visualize this scenario. As ever, thank you for lightening the mood!
DeleteThe memes were just what I needed this morning, Myra! And these days, I'm starting to become aware of my age more and more. Being in the "at risk" group is a constant, unwanted reminder. But I'm really trying not to let all of this mess get to me, and like you, I feel like I'm in a sci-fi movie when I see those medical images on TV.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
It's an every-day challenge, isn't it? Not getting sucked into the drama and keep our spirits afloat. Blessings!
DeleteHA! Totally agree with this post...we are living in surreal times, aren't we? I am so disappointed in our society right now. Get a grip on reality and start fighting back, people. JMO. grin
ReplyDeleteHey, on that note, I better leave before you kick me out, LOL. Have a great day friend.
Aw, I'm not kicking you anywhere … anytime soon. LOL!
Deletestill laughing over the serial killer. just too funny... my answers are the same as yours for 1 and 2. no surgery though. the thing that is burned into my mind and retinas about the virus is the photo of the pickup truck full of bodies being moved to a morgue.
ReplyDeleteas for the aping a piece of paper over the little window on my scales which reads, "Peace."
Peace: not defined by a number, but an attitude.
What do you think? OH MY WORD. do not do that. eating properly is not depriving ouselves. the person who wrote that doesn't have food addiction. its like saying, go ahead cross that double yellow line that warns of no passing. and see what happens. it is important to keep track of our weight. i never did and reach 240 several times in my life... i could go on forever but you get the gist.
I missed that image, but it sounds eerily reminiscent of Soylent Green. Honestly, I can't see me covering my scales. Unfortunately, weighing myself is an addiction.
DeleteI have that same reaction when I read about classmates who have passed or see pictures of them with gray hair....it's like, wow, you guys are so old!!! My brain doesn't register that I am, too. LOL
ReplyDeleteGreat minds! Just wait another decade or so … it gets worse. LOL.
DeleteLove the husband joke! lol
ReplyDeleteMe, too. Today, in particular, it seemed apt.
DeleteSince I have a young grandson whom I've fondly nicknamed the X-factor, You title today caught my eye. Thes days are truly unknown. Something new seems to constantly be coming our way. Not all is good news, but we do have to make the most of what we have. Nio since complaining about what we don't have and can't do, it wouldn't do a bit of good. They eye doctor and the dentist were to be two things I wanted to do this year, but in the relm of things they don't seem important any more. Maybe next year. We'll see....
ReplyDeletePerspective is a valuable tool, isn't it? Little to do but fasten our seat belts and get ready for the ride.
DeleteI'm with you, Myra. I don't like action movies. They bore me to death :)
ReplyDeleteI agree; I still think I'm 40 until I look in the mirror :)
I did see on Facebook pages that dentists are starting to schedule routine appointments again here. I'm sure some will get out and get it done so to speak. I'm between insurance so I'll have to wait a bit.
I agree it doesn't feel real when you go some place like Lowe's or Home Depot and see how busy it is and then you drive to the local mall and its absolutely dead.
Cute with the jokes; we need the humor these days I do believe!
betty
Wow about the routine dental appointments resuming. As for me and my house, I prefer to wait until we're (reasonably) sure there's no risk.
DeleteI have pushed a couple of my appointments back until June - then I am going to wear a mask and gloves.
ReplyDeleteSuper hero movies - my grandson loves them - and to keep him happy and the family peaceful I am watching them all too!
Ya, I know all about keeping the peace -- my hubby's fixated on GRIT TV. (bleah…)
DeleteEnjoyed your post today, so true, true, true. Hey, my hubby is beginning to rattle a little bit. :) Will corona ever go away? {{sigh}}
ReplyDeleteGiggle! From your lips to God's ears, my friend.
DeleteI can identify with all your answers here. I have never - even remotely - felt like Superman and I couldn't care less about "superheroes".
ReplyDeleteYouthful??
The only thing that makes me feel youthful is avoiding mirrors and pretending I'm still 20.
The horrifying reality is that I now look my best in a heavy fog, at a distance of fifty feet.....
It's extremely sobering when I discover obituaries of former classmates.....and lovers.
This coronavirus chaos has gone too far and is COMPLETELY out of hand. As I said in one of my recent blog posts - it's a national Carnival of the Insane.
Hey, don't forget to wash your hands
"... my best in a heavy fog, at a distance of 50 feet." I'm gonna use that!
DeleteCarnival of the Insane -- sounds about right. I don't know who -- or what -- to believe any more.
I really enjoyed your answers today! Stay safe and stay well. It is a crazy world we are living in.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!
DeleteNope... no superhero movies for me either. Joyce gave us another fun Hodgepodge! I especially enjoyed the memes, Myra. Take care up there!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Terri … you two do the same!
DeleteLoved your levity! I had to enlarge the picture of the dude with the glasses because I also thought he must be wearing some sort of mask. Enjoyed visiting with you today.
ReplyDeleteI did the same thing! Thank you for taking time to visit, Libby!
Delete