Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Surviving the Hodgepodge!




Good morning!
and big thanks to our hostess, Joyce, who asks ...



What's something you resolved to do this year? Have you done it? …..

In part, yes.
Beginning with the biggest annoyance, I purged most of our paper records and digitized the rest.



Where do you go to find quietude? …..

Just down the hall, first room on the left. I'm on the computer or sitting cross-legged on the daybed surrounded by faded photographs. ("..... memories in bits and pieces.")



A friend asked this question on her Facebook page and said Joyce could borrow it for the Hodgepodge. "You're only allowed to buy 5 things at the grocery store, and all must start with the first letter of your first name. Whatcha' buying?" 

Meat, Merlot, Monterey Jack, Muenster, Mozzarella.  Who's up for a rib-eye, 3-cheese omelet?




The television show Survivor, the Gloria Gaynor song, 'I Will Survive', survival mode, survival of the fittest … pick one and discuss. …..

I've never watched Survivor and certainly don't consider myself one of the fittest!  Don't even want to consider being thrust in survival mode, so that leaves Ms. Gaynor's iconic song. "At first I was afraid, I was petrified."  Yep.  Tho' it's not spoken/sung, I like the idea (that) there's light at the end of the tunnel.




Share a favorite quote or saying about strength. 

 



Insert your own random thought here.

Happy heavenly birthday mom!

What I wouldn't give for one more weekend together … the opportunity to say 'thanks' for the little things you did to make me feel special.

While making the bed this morning I remembered how, when I arrived, you'd have the sofa bed made up for me with fresh sheets, turned down 'just so' -- like you witnessed at that fancy hotel.

So many things I remember.
In particular, the pleasure you took in going to eat with best-friend Doris at Fisherman's Village.  Even if it meant waiting, you always asked for your favorite server, Donna. 

You ladies are no longer on this plane -- but sadly, neither is the Oyster Bar. 

After dropping Doris home, we'd get in our nightclothes and might enjoy a piece of cheesecake.  (You were the only one who enjoyed cheesecake more than me!)  Perhaps you'd ask me to make you a Godmother instead of your usual glass in wine.  Though I never used it professionally, you were so proud when I graduated bartender school. LOL!

Well, I don't want to keep you.
I'm sure there's loved ones you need to visit, songs to be sung.

I love you momma.  See you later!


* * *

Would you like to participate sometime?
Please check out the Hodgepodge questions each Tuesday here.

Talk soon … stay safe, y'all!

Hugs,
Myra

28 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your mother. It says a lot about you, Mevely. What a nice and kind person you are.

    On this special day I pray for you and your whole family.

    "Where do you go to find quietude? ….."

    In the dictionary, because I did not know what it meant.

    "What's something you resolved to do this year?"

    Stay at home more often.

    Keep smiling my friend. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha -- I wasn't sure 'quietude' was a real word, either! Thank you for your too-kind words; there's much I wish I had done "in the living years."

      Delete
  2. At this point I'd say we are all survivors. We've managed to stay away from the corona virus so far by following safe distance procedure. You have some wonderful memories with your mother and she sounds like such a loving person. You were definitely important in her life. Hoping you have a piece of cheese cake left to celebrate her birthday. Thinking of shopping for the things that begin with P - peanut butter comes to mind, pie, peaches, prime rib, and pancakes are also on the list. Hope you have a beautiful day, the sun is finally shinning here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd one little piece of cheesecake. Yet, I let my hubby eat it for lunch, on account if this keeps up much longer, I'll have to buy bigger pants!

      Delete
  3. I would never participate on Survivor, don't even watch that show. With that said we are all survivors in one way or another. I do love that song, and will probably be singing it (to myself) for the rest of the day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about it that way, but yes. We're all survivors of a sort. Great anthem, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. this is the 3rd hodgepodge today. i cannot remember the foods with S even though i got emails from both of them helping me with foods. i even googled and got answers and now they are gone, that was less than an hour ago. oh well.. S is for special memory or lack there of. my quiietude is reading, down the hall and right turn to bed and kindle... i did get QUIET for an hour today. bob went to the park for the first time in 4 weeks. YAY. I miss my mother each time i take photos with my phone and play with my tech deivices. she never got to see a phone or tablet or computer and she would love them. when she died i still had to pay for long distance calls and we only talked on weekends for it to be cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw where you commented on someone else's Hodgepodge this morning and began salivating at "S-is-for salmon." I thought "M" was hard!

      Delete
  5. What a great tribute to your mom...and sadly, the oyster bar isn't there anymore, grin. Thank you for the smiles.

    Hope you have a great day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ya, Hurricane Charley wiped out the oyster bar and much of surrounding Port Charlotte back in 2004. :(

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to your mom!! Such a lovely lady inside and out!! Oh my gosh, I don't think I knew you graduated from bartender school! How cool is that! I'm coming to your house for your M meal!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks! Ya, I was lured by the thought of 'easy money' -- but lacked the courage to apply for a bartending job where I'd have to chat up the customers. Too shy.

      Delete
  7. What lovely thoughts you shared of your Mom, it amazing how simple things can bring back
    such wonderful memoriesThanks for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Sue! It's the little things that linger. Thank you for saying that.

      Delete
  8. Way to go on getting that project done! Your space sounds peaceful to me. Love your food choices. Love your quote. Happy Heavenly birthday to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would be nice to spend time with our moms again - wouldn't it?
    Well your list of m foods - I think I could live on too - love cheese.
    And I really like that quote. So true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there's a cheese I don't like ... but this list was harder than I first thought. Thanks for visiting, Sandie!

      Delete
  10. Resolved?? I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't think I resolved anything this year (but the year isn't over yet...)

    Quietude? I've learned that quietude comes from within - the depths of your heart and soul. Recently it seems to be eluding me...

    Grocery items that begin with a "J"???
    That's an impossibility. How about jam and jelly? Jack cheese? JUNK FOOD!!!
    No jalapenos!!!

    The birthday thoughts for your Mother are touching and beautiful.
    I love "See you later"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great take on quietude, Jon. Not sure I've ever realized that peace of mind. Unfortunately, this resolution was but the first of a loooong line of things needing done -- and I don't feel like tackling any of them.

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday to your mom in heaven. :) What sweet memories.

    I'm up for that omelet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Myra, I enjoyed reading your note to your dear mom. My mom would always prepare our beds with fresh sheets and turned down just so when we'd return from a trip. Thanks for that memory. Your m groceries sound very satisfying! Have a great rest of the week. Thanks for visiting my hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I just know I would love your mom from your description here. Somehow I ended up with a Hodgepodge from seven years ago! Not sure how that happened. I use Feedly for my reader. This one is no where to be found. Loved your Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I still enjoyed 'your' Hodgepodge; I'd not seen those questions before.

      Delete
  14. Such wonderful and loving memories of you mother, Myra! Sounds like she was such a special, unique person; we never stop missing our parents, do we? And I will take you up on the cheesecake and the wine!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to share, Martha. Thank you for visiting!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!