Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Tuesday 4



Welcome to Tuesday 4,
started by Toni Taddeo and kept going in honor and memory of her.



Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, 
It's off to work we go!



Describe the best job you ever had. Why was it good?

For 10 years I was blessed to support the sales team at WTSP-TV, Tampa/St. Petersburg.

 (That's me kneeling, second from the right.)

Before being taken over by a media giant (who wound up replacing most of the management team), going to work each weekday was an absolute joy.  The AE's were not only funny, but sometimes raucous … prompting one naysayer to refer to the Sales Department as a Fraternity House.

Every member of the team treated me like their equal.  Even during staff meetings, my opinions were solicited. 





How did you learn to do your job?

Having taken years of shorthand and typing, those basics are hard-wired in my brain.
  
As far as specifics go, our office manager was wonderfully patient.  My first day of work, I remember her telling me, "You'll never watch a commercial in quite the same way."
(All these years later, she's right!)






You are now in charge of your town's public relations committee. Tell us why we need to move to your town.

Only if you promise not to spread the word!
I really hope Coosada/Millbrook doesn't become more populated and lose it's small-town feel.  People still speak openly about their faith, families and freedom.  Plus, I love it when someone looks me in the eye and asks, "How're you doing?" -- fully expecting an answer.





It's lunch time! Build you perfect sandwich for us. What's in it and on it, and what's in our cups?


Inspired by Niffers ...
 
1/2 lb. chuck (medium rare) with grilled avocado, Jalapeno slices and Pepper Jack cheese. And mayo. Lots of mayo.

Occasionally, I'll add an 'over easy' egg on top. (Best consumed with a knife and fork, lol) 

My cup?
That's an afterthought.  Probably my usual Dasani w/ a squirt of lemonade flavoring drops.

* * *


Thanks so much for visiting me today.
Stay safe ... stay inside!
Myra








30 comments:

  1. "...You'll never watch a commercial in quite the same way."
    (All these years later, she's right!)"

    I wonder...does this include how you see the news these days? Commercials are meant to persuade. The news too, it seems. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! Some newscasts are better than others, but I sure miss the impartiality of anchors such as Walter Cronkite.

      Delete
  2. ...I cant stand watching commercials, lol.

    I'll be right over for lunch, smiles. Have a great day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I remember a few classic spots, but most of today's are just dumb, dumb, dumb!

      Delete
  3. my favorite sandwich is a burger, Culvers preferred but at home I would use a burger bun, slather with mayo, WELLdone burger, with nothing in it but garlic salt, slice of tomato PLUS hand full of ruffles tater chips on the sandwich and smashed to crumbs. I also love fried balonga on white bread with MAYO.. or mayo and tomato, or pineapple and mayo on white bread. OR mayo only on white bread.... I only had two jobs that I loved, CNA in a dialysis unit and dressing mannequins at sears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss Culvers! Was so excited to tell Tom about the smashed-to-crumbs chips on a burger -- then he just nodded and said he used to do that, too. Geeze.

      Delete
  4. I never quite understood how shorthand works. I used to dictate on a tape recorder and hand over the tapes for typing.

    Love your sandwich. Save some for me.

    I guess it's nice living in a small town when people know, and care for, each other.

    Like your cartoons. You're very talented, Mevely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've forgotten most of my shorthand, but (until recently) still use it to make notes in the church bulletin or during a boring meeting!

      That avator/cartoon was created at Bitmoji.com -- easy, peasy!

      Delete
  5. Isn't it fun to have a job that you really love! Your sandwich sounds delicious, minus the avocado. I try so hard to like that stuff, but I just can't do it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't our food choices (or non-choices) interesting? My hubby refuses to eat any kind of beans; and my best friend can't stand french fries.

      Delete
  6. It's a delight to be on a good team that works together, I never had the opportunity, my favorite job was working in a one girl office as office manager. I enjoyed being alone with no back biting going on. Not too long ago, I had a lunch sandwich that had an egg on it, it was delicious. I'd never had egg on a burger before. Living where I do is great because it's small enough to not be worried about a lot of traffic. We also have some beautiful metro parks to enjoy close by. Every thing I need is close by and don't have to travel very far to get where I need to be. Glad you are enjoying your small town feeling. Hope you have a wonderful week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How refreshing, not to have to deal with back-biting! Sad, how instead of building one another up, some people (usually women) can be so nasty to one another. Have you ever had an (over-easy) egg atop pizza?

      Delete
  7. I enjoy it when you talk about your media time, what a neat area, I know you fit right in.
    My most satisfying job was building. I hated to stop for the day and looked forward to smelling lumber the next time. Seeing something from from a ditch in the dirt to a home was a thrill.
    My Sherry may advertise this town, but not me. It was a small mill village but now the mills are gone. The pleasures of kids on the mill hills are gone and we are now a bedroom for Charlotte, NC.
    YOu are one HOT loving lady.
    But mine is a plain slice of a big fresh tomato (S&P) with mayonnaise between two slices of bread.
    Love from NC,
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason I'll accompany Tom to places like Home Depot is so I can go inhale the scent of lumber! :)
      Only in the last few years have I learned to enjoy tomatoes, and that's only when they're chopped up like in a salad.

      Delete
  8. I loved your answer to #2! I work in advertising and I know how much work goes into making and selling those spots. (And how they mean jobs to so many people! Commercials are a vital part of our economic food chain.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth! I never had the self-confidence to sell, but sure enjoyed studying demographic patterns.

      Delete
  9. So nice to know you loved that job, Myra. It really sounds like it was a very special and friendly place to be. Wish I could say that about the various teaching jobs I had . . .
    And you are blessed to live in a small Southern town where faith and family and hospitality are valued so highly.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it was (very special and friendly) … until it wasn't. But like my favorite song goes, " … for it's the laughter, we will remember …"

      Delete
  10. It sounds like you really loved your job! That is so great! I loved your story! Loved your answers! Have a nice Tuesday!

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori! I hope you're doing the same!

      Delete
  11. Had to look up Coosada/Millbrook .. how lovely and I love that neighbors are so friendly to one another. That's a wonderful thing.
    Your job sounds amazing and how great to work with a good and friendly team of people! That's priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from a huge metro (Phoenix), it's indeed priceless. Hubby -- a Chicago native -- is still adjusting to life in the slow lane, but I think he'll come around.

      Delete
  12. Explain in another blog post if you remember to about why your boss said you would never view commercials the same again. I know I'll forget to come back and check comments. Fascinating! That did sound like an ideal job! Your recipe sounds delicious too!! Gonna try it soon! I agree, stay safe and stay inside. As a side note, the church for the fallen police officer's funeral was just a few short miles away from here. Out for a bit this morning we saw the preparations for it. Such a sad time for Phoenix and its police. Made me think of Danny Glasser and his mom and her blogs.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try and remember -- or send you a PM.
      6-7 of those coworkers and I are still friends on FB, but everyone's scattered here and there throughout the U.S. Guess that's life.

      Delete
  13. Fun questions today and really interesting answers! Your sandwich sounds spicy and yummy! I like "hot" too!! Lakeland is a small/medium city (120,000) but still has a small-town feel that we love. We get God bless, happy Easter, Merry Christmas, etc., at the check-out in stores. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice to hear! I remember the last few Christmases I worked at the *resort, we weren't permitted to say "Merry Christmas" … only "Happy Holidays."

      * Not naming names, but it rhymes with Wyndham. (*grin*)

      Delete
  14. I'll take the same sandwich please, but without the Jalapenos - that would burn my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The best job is a tough choice. But I think when I worked in City Hall, New York may be top choice. Great colleagues, fascinating visitors and being part of history. I guess it doesn't get much better. It was an extraordinary opportunity and I am so grateful for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I pretty boring when it comes to building a sandwich. You are absolutely a maverick. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a good sandwich! YUM! This sounds wonderful. I am always looking for good stuff to serve. Your last post made me go to the cupboard and get a spoonful of PB. HaHaHa! It is so good to see everyone here. Thanks and stay safe and healthy. HUGS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!