Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Slugs in a Rug?




Forget that annoying camel ...  
If this is Hump Day, it must be time to play the Medley!


Also known as ….


Shall we?

Typically served as an hors d'oeuvre, have you ever made or had a Pig-in-a-Blanket?  Do you like Pigs-in-a-Blanket?

Ohhh ya!  For years (before the dogs ate our long couch) Tom and I'd prop ourselves at either end with a wooden tray-full in between … with little pots of mayo and mustard for dipping.   Just last night, he fixed something similar using Conecuh sausage.


Pigs-in-a-Blanket are also known as devils or horseback, kilted sausages and wiener winks.  (Seriously.)  Please make up another name for this fun little appetizer!   

What could beat wiener winks?  I'm still giggling!  
'Best I can come up with is, Slugs-in-a-Rug.  


In the UK, Pigs-in-Blankets are small sausages, or chipolatas wrapped up in bacon.  Which country's version is most appealing to your taste buds?  

I'm not overly fond of bacon, but would still choose that version …if only to avoid the carbs.  


The first written record of Pigs-in-a-Blanket occurs in Betty Crocker's Cooking for Kids in 1957.  In this digital world, do you still have a favorite cookbook you use most of the time?

During my uber-fan days, I'd carry this little book along to meet-and-greet ops.  'Too-Tall' was one of the nicest among them.

Is there a recipe you can share with us from that cookbook?

 This is an enduring favorite … only I double (sometimes triple) the cheese and use sharp cheddar v. American.  Ya, it's gooey-good!



What is your favorite cooking show on TV?

I don't watch cooking shows.
Unless, does Guy Fieri's 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' count?



Tell us something random about your week, please?

Crazy how time seems to fly each week -- but this question always stumps me.


Backing up to Easter Sunday... 
When I looked at (on-line) photos from last year, many of the church ladies were shown wearing hats.  Well, blame it on Murphy's Law. Guess who was the only one wearing a hat?  (Fortunately, with age, I'm less inclined to feel embarrassed.) 


Monday would have marked my sweet mother's 104th birthday!  Despite never having much in common, we share(d) a serious love for cheesecake!
 

Last evening we donned our best 'glad-rags' and helped the church's lawn-service team rehab a nearby yard.  It was actaully fun, operating Tom's new power washer.  I felt like a dentist.  Ha!
Black mold is seriously disgusting!



So, I finally took the plunge and ordered three pair of jeans and new tennis shoes from Thred-up.   Crossing my fingers at least one will fit ... counting on their 'no problem returns' promise.  Have you ever ordered (or consigned) from Thred-up? 


T-t-that's all for now.  
Thanks so much for visiting!  
Stay safe. (Please) 


             Hugs,



31 comments:

  1. you already know I love your hat... I might have taken it off if I were the only one in one, but then the HAIR would be whacked, so maybe not.... the last time I wore a hat was mid 1970's... the recipe sounds good and I love the pigs n a blanket but have not had them in years. not in my food plan now.. but if they were I would...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years ago I might have thought the same thing! Love hats on account they hide even the worst hair day!

      Delete
  2. I understand in the UK most people watch cooking shows on TV whilst eating ready-meals they've ordered on the phone. These shows have done wonders for the restaurant delivery business.

    Hope you and Tom are keeping well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Same with Facebook. I can't even look without growing unreasonably hungry!

      Delete
  3. Slugs in a rug.. love it! You look good in that hat!! Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slugs in a rug is cracking me up!!!! HA HA! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your hat and your name for the wieners, although thinking about slugs does make a person want to gag! Haha! How ‘bout them Cowboys? Our favorites! Too Tall was terrific, and there will never be another one like Tom Landry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth! Mr. Landry had more class in his little fingernail than Mr. Jones could ever hope to buy.

      Delete
  6. Oh I love your hat! You look great! Loved your answers! Have a nice week!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your hat!! I just look awful in hats and wish it wasn't so. I think I could actually eat half of a tray of those little piggies! Happy heavenly birthday to your mamma. Cheesecake... what's not to like? Nice that you and Tom helped with some needed yard work along with the church workers. Pressure washing is hard work but (I think) very satisfying. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Debbie said the same (about not having a 'hat head.') Like, I look like a big walking NOSE in a ball cap. I hope you'll keep trying on, Terri!

      Delete
  8. Haha look I can write! Nice of you helping out at church. I haven't heard of Thread Up. Your mom had the same birthday as my DIL. We watch Guys Diners here too. Love your red hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to 'see' you here, Sandie! Of course, I'm sorry you had to experience a computer crash to do so.

      Delete
  9. Slugs in a rug? Ewww. LOL
    Being the only one wearing a hat...that is the kind of wardrobe thing that always happens to me. I often misguess how casual or dressy I need to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You're still too young, but I figure I can just pass for 'eccentric.' HA.

      Delete
  10. Not sure I know this KNOTkNpt sdre O lmpw pjw/We so love the Lordow what I am doing. I just lost a coment

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the picture of you in your hat and Tom on Easter morn! My mom made pigs in the blanket (not sure why she called it that or why her mom would have called it that) but it was ground meat that had rice in it and spices wrapped in cooked cabbage leaves and then cooked on the stove in tomato soup. They were delicious.

    I think your slugs in a rug is kind of catchy!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard of that ... but it sounds delish! When you've time, I'd love to have that recipe!

      Delete
  12. I felt guilty for the long comment I wrote on your previous post. Thanks for tolerating me.

    My Mom occasionally made pigs-in-a-blanket when I was a kid.
    I also found an old 1915 recipe for them in an antique book entitled "Hallowe'en" by Robert Schauffler - but they weren't called pigs-in-a-blanket ( forget what they were called in the book).

    Love the photo of you and Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1915 … wow! Hey Jon, please don't go feeling guilty. Tolerate, smotherate … I love your comments!

      Delete
  13. Love your term, slugs-in-a-rug, Myra. You really thought outside the box for that one! And I do love your hat, my friend; it suits you.
    Have a great week!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But I don't know about thinking outside the box; it was the first thing that popped in my head!

      Delete
  14. First off I have to say that last picture of you both in your red is absolutely wonderful! Yes, I do love pigs in a blanket...most any way they are fixed. Like Betty we eat stuffed cabbage rolls that were also called pigs in a blanket. I have an old Better Homes and Gardens Cook book that I got for a wedding gift that I still use over and over. What wonderful pictures too of your mom and her birthday cheesecake! I have heard of Thread Up. You'll have to let us know how that turns out. I wouldn't mind turning in some of my old things for something new to wear. What a blessing your grounds crew are! It's truly a blessing to do good for others.

    Love and hugs,
    'ma'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You know, the cheesecake pictures are both me (left, last month) and my mom (right -back 33 years ago.)

      Delete
  15. Sorry about my comment. Sherry came by after I left. He comment to me was, "What in the world did you say?" Now I went back to see and OUCH, I think it is code, or an unknown language! LOL
    Sorry about that. I have no idea what I said!!!! and my face it red!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. like pigs in the blanket. used to get them for happy hour at the brown derby.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!