"Well, you might be surprised."
… so my DIL remarked. Some time last year this was, shortly after she and Troy spit in little cups and received their DNA analyses. I'd said something to the effect, "I don't need that; I already know my parent's lineage."
Fast-forward to this February. Tom's birthday was approaching and I'd NO idea what to get him. Remembering the kids' enthusiasm, I let my fingers do the walking. Easy-peasy.
Let's just say he was underwhelmed. Opening the box, Tom muttered something like, "You didn't really buy one of these DNA come-on things, did you?"
Yet, he spit in the cup. And what'd ya know, he's enjoying reading the results, charting his family's history from eastern Europe.
So much so, he gave me one for my birthday!
Ya, I was a little surprised at the overwhelming disparity.
Like my grandmother used to utter, "Uf-dah!"
![]() |
| My mother with her parents (ca. 1920) |
So, I've been busy on Ancestry, building a family tree. And, here's a litany of 2nd, 3rd and even 4th cousins! I think my DIL has communicated with a few 'found' relations from her own results, but I'm not feeling the urge to do so … just now.
Poor Daddy! One of my most vivid memories centers around his near-obsession with his father's lineage. In countless motel rooms across this old United States, one of the first things he'd do is pull out the telephone book and search for any Willer listings. How'd he'd have loved this science!
![]() |
| Grandmother Adele and my dad (ca. 1913) |
Sometimes I catch myself wishing there was a way to learn about my ancestors' traits. If, for instance, have I inherited someone's love for reading ... a preference for savory (v. sweet)?
But, you know what? This is one reason I love blogging, journaling. Someday, a great-grand might wonder, "Who was Myra?" ... and there will exist (almost) everything I'd like him or her to know!
Have you had occasion to spit in a cup?
Would you?
Please, have yourselves a super new week … and well, (like Sean says) you know the rest!
Hugs, Myra





That is so interesting. I've thought of trying that myself but haven't yet. That's why I blog, I'm hoping someone (hopefully my grandson) will find my blog and get to know me in a different way....
ReplyDeleteOh, I hope you'll do it. Please let us know!
DeleteI love that trait of your dad's. I always did the same thing. I am a little disappointed that phone books are not as available as they once were. There was always a phone books in motels and phone booths at RV parks, and there I was....
ReplyDeleteAnyway, yes I have thought about it, and one day I might. I have dug a lot on the internet but the tree got so cumbersome.
BUT I love old pictures. ESPECIALLY ones with cars. Even a fender I try to ID it. Oh and dogs, I loved the relaxed dog!
Great entry Love it. Danish, huh? neat!
That looks like a 50s Chevy you guys are hiding! LOL
Could be, Jack. I remember my g'pa being a GM man. This was probably '55-'56.
DeleteHave you tried PIPL.com or zabasearch.com? Both are pretty good for finding people.
I would box Bob's ears if he paid for a DNA test, but since he feels like I do, we are both safe. I would not spit in a cup and pay for it, but if it were free would do it, but then your dna is on record and the way our country is now the people in charge of our govt might come looking... 😁😁 I saw on the news there are many that are rip offs and they had a whole 10 minutes on whom to use or not use. I did not pay attention to details because I cared not.... I do have a kind of sorta ancestry thingy someone created and sent to me. I have not one sentimental gene in my body and if I have a family member that had something horrible I don't want to know. it would set my what iffer off. I already worry over my splitting finger nails because that is how they would my brothers cancer. see what I mean? I love research but not on family. if anyone reading this wants to give me a present, CASH or a VISA card is all I want.😜😜
ReplyDeleteHA! I'd not heard of rip-offs; but it was bound to happen. Thankfully, mine and son's (Ancestry.com and 23andme.com) were shown in the 5 'most reputable.' (Wouldn't want just anyone getting their hands on my spit … ha!)
Deletethat said if someone will pay for Big Boys dna I would like to know just what he is.
ReplyDeleteThat would be SO cool!
DeleteJoe and I have both spit in the little tube and have had so much fun with our DNA results!! I have only communicated with a couple of those 4th-5th cousins. I was surprised that I have 19% Scandinavian. Had no clue!
ReplyDeleteI'm just starting out, but you're right. This is fun!
DeleteI'm delighted that you and Tom spit in the cups. I've been tempted to do it - - but I have an intense fear that I'll discover I'm not really a male Hungarian, but rather I'm a black woman from Kenya.
ReplyDeleteIt's extremely difficult to successfully trace European ancestry. The numerous spellings of surnames is annoying enough.
I could NEVER find any documented information about my father's mother - whose maiden name (I THOUGHT) was Sophia Santos.
I only recently found the correct Hungarian spelling of her surname, which was Zofia Czantos.
You should be proud of your Norwegian heritage, Myra.
Hungarians are crazy. Trust me on that.
Funny guy, Jon! I don't know if I'm necessarily proud of my Norwegian roots. Rather, surprised my dad's (German side) is only 8%. I hope you'll do it and share with us!
DeleteOne can check their ancestry through DNA and also by following a family tree program on the Internet. I followed my family tree all the way up to when my family lived in it. The computer program people also checked my ancestors line of business. Most of my grandparents were boxers; except one who was a Dalmatian. He was spotted as being different when he was born. Apparently he was rather stupid. He raised his front leg and wondered why he was getting wet.
ReplyDeleteGod bless, Mevely.
LOL! I suppose there's one in every family!
DeleteYour's were all kind of close to each other, like Northern Europe. Hubby's brother did his and was surprised because he was from all over the world it seemed, a lot of Europe, but some in Africa and other parts of the world and none from Native American which hubby's parents "swore" they had ties to. Hubby didn't feel the need to do his test figuring he'd be pretty close to what his brother's came out. I thought of it, but I'm going to pass on it. We are 100% Polish by what my mom always said. I wouldn't want that to change. As both kids are adopted, I wouldn't even do it to let them know what their ancestry would be from us because we aren't biologically related. I had an aunt who was into ancestry and doing a family tree. When she passed, I don't think anyone carried on her work.
ReplyDeletebetty
Good points all, Betty. That's so interesting about your BIL's results.
DeleteMy son did the DNA thing and surprise, surprise...it connected him to 2 people it said were first cousins. He gave me the names and I asked my mom. It forced her to tell me the identity of my birth father, a secret she'd kept for 54 years! I told my son not to contact them since Ancestry lets them know there's a match. If they contact him we'll go from there. Those DNA kits are a lot more accurate than people like to think they are.
ReplyDeleteYours is such an awesome example of 'what if', Stacy. Thank you for sharing your own experience!
DeleteI've been tempted to try this, but never have, Myra. I do know quite a bit about my family tree all the way back to great-grandparents, so not sure I'd discover anything new. Still . . .
ReplyDeleteBlessings for a great week!
Nice! I, too, have been blessed that my folks left detailed records. I guess in large part, I'm doing this for my dad - who so wanted to discover his relatives, no matter how far removed.
DeleteI didn't spit in a cup--mine was a swab kit sent through the mail that had this stick thing you wiped your mouth with. An organization dedicated to Stonewall Jackson paid for my test since I was of the same Jackson origins as Stonewall. They determined that I was quite closely related to the great general.
ReplyDeleteI'd like to get those other results. Like your daddy I've been fascinated with relatives and heritage and such. I had a couple of aunts who published books about family heritages on both my father's and mother's side. That's pretty cool because I have copies of each.
My mother's sister suggested to me that there was a dark family secret--there was a Cherokee in the lineage. I guess they were ashamed at some point or something or maybe it was just hearsay. I wouldn't mind having proof that I had Cherokee blood in my veins. Take that Elizabeth Warren!
Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out
Chuckling … take THAT, indeed! That's pretty cool, being able to trace your lineage back to General Jackson.
DeleteI Have wanted to do the DNA test. My niece Mary did it said she had some Italian DNA. Makes me curious. Probably was her mom's side but I'd love to know. I found my paternal grandfather 's mom. Her first name was Marla. I need to do more. If you want to see a neat history of your genealogy Sue at Collect In Texas blog. A woman I worked with went back on her dad's side to Vasco de Gamma the 16th century explorer. W O W ! I need to get back into it. I get so emotional. Because I do know some of their stories. Thanks for sharing. HUGS
ReplyDelete