Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Water Cooler Wednesday

 




Hi there!

A while back I happened to catch parts of an exchange on the Today show's 'Hoda and Jenna.'    Because Tom was waiting at the door, jingling the car keys, I didn't get to hear the whole thing.

Basically, they were addressing a viewer's dilemma:
  
You shared a photograph of several friends on your social media page.  One friend, believing her image was unflattering, asked you to take it down.  Would you do it?


That piqued my interest because I remembered when, years ago, a cousin did that very thing and tagged me (so it showed on my page).  Having been the target of K's ridicule practically since the time we could walk, I cringed, pulled it from my page and blocked her. Today, I'd probably just laugh.

Inquiring minds want to know.  If asked, what would you do?




Big hugs from rainy Alabama,
Myra

29 comments:

  1. You make a very good point, Mevely. In today's world with so many social media platforms like FB, Blogger and so on, people think nothing of posting photos of parties, weddings, holiday snaps etc; without even thinking whether the people in the photos approve or mind to be posted publicly.

    If attending such gatherings or parties, it is OK to take photos but these should be kept private. Or if posted on social media, at least one should ask permission first for privacy reasons.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't begin to cover all the videos; the increasing popularity of shows like "America's Funniest Home Videos." Thank you, Victor!

      Delete
  2. No, you shouldn’t post pictures of recognizable other people without their permission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago, I used to delight in sharing images of my beautiful grandchildren and believed they liked it. That is, until one objected. Lesson learned!

      Delete
  3. I would certainly not be laughing. I'd delete the photo, block the person who did it - - and put a Hungarian curse on them.

    No more Mr. Nice Guy..........*smile*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would either take it down or remove her from the photo and put it back. that said, i would not post a photo of anyone that was unflattering to anyone in the photo to begin with. My brother and his wife refuse to have their photos on line, the family knows this. that is why i don't have them on my blog. they have zero presence on line. agree with everyone who commented, ask for permission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! If anyone in a group looks 'off', there's no way I'll publicly embarrass him/her.

      Delete
  5. I will not post pictures of anyone online unless I have their permission for a particular photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've backed off on posting on most social media (except for blogging), and always ask permission before using an actual photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I might completely wean myself from FB!

      Delete
  7. Yet another reason I ditched Facebook ages ago, Myra. No regrets for that move!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone I know, knows I show a lot of pictures, I only have one friend who won't let me take any pictures of her. Over the years we've done a lot of things together, but I don't share a picture of her, respecting her wishes. Otherwise I've never had any objections. I just love my family because they let me show a lot of pictures of them and they don't mind. It's a cool and cloudy day here today, but I'm turning up the music and dancing my way through the house. Music can certainly take the blues away!
    Enjoy the rest of your week! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, yours is a beautiful family, Ma. I've enjoyed watching them grow!

      Delete
  9. I do put some stuff on FB but very seldom. If asked by someone to removes something I probably would and smile about it. Funny thing about FB. I go there usually because I am reminded of a BD. While there I may scan up and down and like some stuff, but seldom play around FB. I know it can be addictive and take up a lot of time. LOL
    I do dedicate a lot of time to the internet, that is apparent with my blog. LOL Love you lady and always enjoy dropping by your place.
    Sherry & jack trying to smile in the rain....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addictive, you bet! According to my son, I've a bad case of FOMO (fear of missing out). LOL.

      Delete
  10. I guess my friends and family know that if I'm around with a camera, most likely the pictures will go on facebook or in my blog. I try to screen them to make sure they are as flattering as possible. I've never had anyone ask me to remove them, except one old school friend who didn't like seeing herself at age 12. LOL. I did ask one of my old school friends to remove a picture of me in a two piece bathing suit when we were about 15 at the beach. Not so much because of the picture but because of what she said about us trying to pick up boys, which wasn't exactly correct and gave the wrong connotation about who I am today and who I was as a teenager. She thought it was funny, but I did not. We're still friends, and she removed the picture. LOL. I guess I shouldn't be so sensitive about teenage silly stuff since I am a ripe old septogenarian today. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From one old septogenarian to another, I think I'd be a little miffed as well! I remember my son's admonishing his girls about the company they might be keeping -- we all knew the truth, but others might not.

      Delete
  11. I don't post photos unless those in the picture know about it. That doesn't apply to old family photos I might share, though. I would take down a photo if someone asked me to. I will also say that most of us who participate in social media (one or more) know that nothing is sacred or secret out there anymore. I think if a big deal is made about it, it will draw more attention than if you just let it go away in a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Terri. FB and IG are one big fishbowl, not to mention 'Big Brother' is always watching.

      Delete
  12. Exactly what Terri said...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not on social media, so I would be blissfully unaware.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I almost never post a picture without asking if the person was happy with the picture and if they minded if I posted it. If, after that, I was asked to take it down, I would.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!