Wednesday, December 7, 2022

An Historical Hodgepodge



Aw, don't let the name fool you ..... this isn't a test! 
  
As ever, thanks to Joyce for hosting this coffee klatch / tea party / cocktail hour.  (Pick one!)



The Hodgepodge lands on National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.  Have you visited the memorial?  Yes, back in the early 70's.  I'm afraid it didn't mean so much to me then as it would now.

Have you visited other WW2 sites and memorials?  No, not that I recall.  

Do you think we do a good job of teaching current and younger generations about the events of WW2?  Do you think it matters?  Of course, it matters!  That said, I'm not knowledgeable enough re. what's being taught in schools to form an opinion.



Many books, both fiction and non-fiction have been written with WW2 as the setting.  Is this a 'genre' you gravitate towards?  Share with us a book (or two) you've enjoyed that is set in some way around WW2.  If you're not a reader, how about a movie?

Considering where I grew up, this immediately came to mind:  

Inside Box 1663
(excerpt:  "In 1943 I lived in Croton-on-Hudson, New York with my husband and my son who was almost 10 years old.  At that time, I had no idea there was a Box 1663 in the Santa Fe post office, nor that I would disappear into it, lose my identity and emerge from it at the end of 1945 an entirely different person."

One observer writes, "Los Alamos was a bustling city that officially didn't exist."

Her first-person account wasn't without humor:

"..... remembers a quiet afternoon in early August 1945 when her husband witnessed an accident at the Lab and was thought to have been exposed to radiation:  'Harriet Hollaway was at the foot of the stairs and after I told her we just looked at each other.  In times of crisis, we would take out the whiskey bottle; Harriet went and got her bottle.  Every time I looked like I was going to faint, Harriet would give me another shot of whiskey.  Consequently, I have no real memory of that night, and that's how I got through it.'"



According to Better Homes and Gardens Magazine, there are seven popular color trends for the holidays this year.  They are: red and white, Victorian blue, pops of pink, rich shades of green, rainbow hues, black and white and nostalgic retro colors.  Are you 'trendy' when it comes to holiday decorating in 2022?  How so?  Does your tree have a theme?

Trendy?  Absolutely not!
Tom hasn't volunteered an opinion, but I like to surround myself with olden, mis-matched articles that stroke the sentimentalist in me.



What is a current trend you buck?

???
Tik-Tok .... Woke-ism



What's your favorite chocolate something?

White chocolate peppermint bark.



Insert your own random thought here.





16 comments:

  1. That parting comment made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your answers girl - we are a lot alike - even in the candy and the woke-isms.
    My parents got married 11-22-41 - then my dad had to go away. :( It was hard.
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate cream filled donut! I I miss them so much! I went with the most important first haha. The only thing I remember about what they taught in world history and American history was that I hated both classes so I'm not sure that it matters what they teach about what in school.

    I am with you on the trendy I don't think I've ever done anything that's trending unless of course you can't playing with cell phone which has been trending for a long time. I'm also with you on the no tick tock

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a very traditional red and green Christmas person. One of my son's always puts reindeer antlers on his car and I had to laugh at the quote on the bottom. I haven't got any tree up yet, It's a slow go here. Hopefully I'll have one to enjoy Christmas Eve. May your Christmas holiday be merry and bright ! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  5. For us who were alive, even as a child, WWII cannot be forgotten. MOST every family had someone away in the war. Our family had a small flag with two stars in the window, indicating this house has 2 away in the war.
    Earnest Hemmingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls and also A bridge too far, two books I remember.
    YEP agree with this WOKE stuff. Don't know anything about Ticktock.
    But there is a candy around Christmas that yanks my chain, Cannot think of the name but it is milk choc and soft caramel. LOL
    Good entry again!!!
    Jack & Sherry as ANON,, cannot fix this system yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is very important, essential even, to teach about WWII and not alter the facts to suit current trends and fashions. All wars are terrible, and WWII was full of horrors. I suspect it is not taught in details in schools.

    A good TV series here is Foyle's War. It is set in South England during WWII and seen through the eyes of a police officer whose job was to keep law and order in his patch amongst the air raids and the war. It is available on streaming services like Apple TV and Netflix. Not sure if you have it in the US.

    God bless, Mevely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing to have lived in Los Alamos - an important part of history - - yet almost like science fiction. My parents visited Los Alamos numerous times and almost considered living in that area.

    When it comes to holiday colors and decorations, I'm definitely a traditionalist. Give me red and green, the scent of pine trees and candy canes.
    Don't ravage my senses with non-traditional garbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could eat several pounds of white chocolate peppermint bark and feel no guilt.

      Delete
  8. I love your answers. You are a traditionalist like me. I think it's because of the age we grew up in. We tend to be nostalgic for "the good old days". WWII was a horrific war, especially for the Jewish people. I don't believe kids today are being taught the truth about any of our history. Everything is being slanted by the woke generation that wants to paint everything with their idealistic views that are not realistic at all. My heart breaks for this younger generation because they are growing up in an age of serious confusion about everything...and that trend truly bothers me a lot. But I won't go there in this response as it will take up all your space. LOL. yes, give me good old fashioned Christmas trees and colors and happy family times...that is what I love to see. Have a blessed and wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We bought some Christmas bark at Costco yesterday to set out for a party later this month. I hope it lasts til then lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is a funny meme, Myra!!! And judging by what Virginia doesn't know about American history or geography, I'd say that neither traditional subjects are not being taught by the woke teachers' union. I'm supplementing all the girls' knowledge with games that teach some of those concepts this Christmas. Oh, what a world we live in . . .
    I did visit the WW11 monument on the Washington Mall - so moving . . .
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great answers, Myra! Another fun Hodgepodge from our hostess, Joyce! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder how many people are like us, thinking wokeism is going down the wrong path. I was very much aware of WWII. I didn't read books about it, but I saw a slew of movies when I was young...I remember ducking every time a plane flew overhead when I was outside because planes dropped bombs. I knew these wouldn't so I didn't run, but still.... I also learned a lot about Nazi Germany when I was in high school.

    Our Christmas decoration is Andy's tree on the roof up on the land. That makes it easy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How nice that you have visited Pearl Harbor. I agree with you on trends. I like that we have furniture in our house that belonged to family members. I agree with you on Tic Toc and Woke-ism. The white peppermint bark sounds good. Like your random....LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your random thought made me laugh!!! I hope you have a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can't trick me. I know that's a car.

    😂

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!