Saturday, March 26, 2022

The get-away



Good morning!

'Wish I could boast, we broke our chains and enjoyed a coastal getaway.  But no.  'Twas more 'ticker' care.  Nevertheless, I was excited to linger at Publix's deli for snick-snacks and wine. 


Early Wednesday morning we got the 'lady girls' situated at boarding and hit the road.    Sunny skies, light traffic on I65 -- what a gorgeous day!    My big-city readers probably do exaggerated eye-rolls each time I go crying the blues about navigating downtown Birmingham.   But no, this time I'd worn my big-girl panties -- and without asking, 'Mother may I?' just steered my Camry where I wanted.  Figured mine's a lot older and uglier than 99% of the other vehicles, they're less likely to engage.  Right?


UAB Footprint (from web)


Having learned that snagging a wheelchair transport's next to impossible, I dropped Tom off where he needed to be, scored a parking spot and even got most of my steps in.   God bless the NP!  Initially there was a little concern -- they couldn't draw blood and his heart rate dropped to 23.  But she took all the time in the world to explain the upcoming procedure, what they think's going on -- in language an ordinary John/Jane Doe can understand.


Having plenty of time before check-in, Tom suggested a detour.  He knows I love Cheesecake Factory's unfailingly delicious food, attention to detail.  After a leisurely lunch, we made it back with (necessary) doggy-bag desserts.


So, let me ask y'all:  When choosing lodging, what's most important to you?   {Aside: some of my newer friends may not know -- most recently I worked 15 years for a famous hotel chain.  In the words of Forrest Gump, "And that's all I'm gonna say about that."}

Normally, my criteria runs to affordability, cleanliness.  In this case, I wanted as close to UAB as was  possible.


Believing Tom would have to spend the night in the hospital, I booked a charming, affordable bed-and-breakfast just a few blocks away.  

Hassinger Daniels Victorian Mansion

Isn't she pretty?  I've never stayed in a bed-and-breakfast.  Have you?


No, Tom leans more to a traditional hotel environment -- somewhere he can watch movies or wander out to smoke his pipe 24/7.


Disappointed when the hotel directly across the street was fully booked.  But what a stroke of luck when another, nearby had plenty of availability!   Unlike the first, whose rooms were hugely disappointing, I was pleasantly surprised by the Hilton's bathroom, the upscale linens, their congenial staff.  (Almost 20 years ago my GM told me, "You'll never check in to a hotel with quite the same mindset.")   I'll definitely be leaving them a great review.


'Always concerned the alarm on my cell phone might decide to malfunction, sleep was fitful.  Plus, Tom's nerves were getting the best of him.  That, and no coffee, made for a grumpy fellow.


All that's best left for Part 2.  I've already yakked on longer than I meant.  I sure appreciate you making time to visit!


Hugs, Myra 



Construction crew's message outside a nearby urgent care facility last year.


   

25 comments:

  1. Sherry tells me we have stayed in a B&B once. I cannot remember. WE do not have reason for Hotels anymore. As read this, I realized I paid little attention to rooms if they appear to have clean linens and fairly neat.
    We have stayed in a few DUMPS, once with no choice in a snow storm. LOL
    Sorry to hear Tom isn't doing great and needs some heart work. That drop in heart rate scares, but I bet he can take it in stride. Wishing and praying for the best.
    Love from Florida
    Sherry & jack

    PS: When I had my eyes done in Tarpon Springs, they had free motor home parking with water & Elec. I recuperated there. NICE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! A few years ago we had the misfortune to stay in a company-owned hotel by the Birmingham airport. So nasty, I was afraid to fall asleep. My boss later told me, company hotels aren't held to the same standards as the resorts.

      Delete
  2. PS: loved the messages on the plywood. And that is a beautiful historical home for a B&B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hassinger Daniels Victorian Mansion looks beautiful - however, I'd prefer not to stay in a bed-and-breakfast. It seems too restrictive....like staying with your relatives, only worse.
    I'm with Tom. A traditional hotel environment is best.

    Sounds like you had a pleasant time. I'm awaiting part two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In retrospect, you're right. I do value our privacy ...and stopped having to make idle conversation with strangers when I retired.

      Delete
  4. Yikes I would never want to stay in the hotel by the airport. Ever!
    I have heard good things about The Hilton but never had a reason to stay there since I live about 20 minutes from it.
    I laugh about you getting your steps in from parking to where your husband was. It is a maze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you've no idea how bad that place was/is! I'm not high maintenance, but even the free night wasn't worth it.

      Delete
  5. I love the concept of B & B and this one is gorgeous and one I would like if i were to stay in one. IF did stay in a B&B it must have a private bathroom, I do not want a common bathroom, even one that is shared with 2 or 3 other rooms. Other than that I would like it. i love the historical aspect of them... I don't DO hotels, like 15 story hotels with a lobby. I am a motel girl, nothing over the 2nd floor and park so I can see the car. none of which matters since we haven't been more than 10 miles from home since 2008.
    glad you survived it all and had a safe trip and the girls made it through their incarceration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I agree with you 100% about the necessity of a private bath!!! Even the two of us would have difficulty living in a one-bath home ... yet, that's just what my parents and I did for 18 years.

      Back in the day, one of my former coworkers was a former Chicago firefighter. Kelli always advised us, when booking a hotel room, to get something NO HIGHER than the 6th floor -- on account that's only as high as their ladders will reach.

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to part 2 because I think I missed something about Tom needing another procedure?? Glad you are getting a little more comfortable driving in the "big city". You are still braver than me because I have yet to be on a Phoenix freeway behind the steering wheel.

    We look for a hotel/motel that is close to where we want to be centered when we are traveling (if that makes sense lol). Then we also look for ones that offer a free hot breakfast. We're cheap that way, lol :)

    We stayed in a bed and breakfast one year way back in our early married days, probably about 1982. It was in the Napa area of California. Bear themed. So enjoyable! But then we never stayed at another one, why I don't know!

    No one can ever resist the Cheesecake Factory I do believe!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't really anything new; he couldn't have anything done until the infusion therapy was completed.
      Have you tried CF's Cinnabon cheesecake?

      Delete
  7. LOVE the signs at the construction site. We need more of that! Glad you found a nice room at Hilton and now I look forward to part 2! Hugs & prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that great? I agree, we need more of that sort of thing. xo

      Delete
  8. Where have I been? Why didn't I know poor Tom had to have another procedure? Wishing him all the best, Myra, and looking forward to Part 2 to hear how everything went.
    Danny and I did a bed and breakfast once - that was enough.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry -- I should have said these are tests to determine the doc's next course of action: L + R catherization, TEE. Thank you for your well wishes!

      Delete
  9. I am praying for Tom right now. Also for you, Mevely.

    I got trapped in my own hotel room once. I put the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on the door inside my room and could not get out.

    I phoned reception and they got me out through the window - sixth floor!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your attitude. Might as well turn it into an adventure...life is too short not to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! That's the only thing I CAN change.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like you made the most of what could have been an unpleasant situation. And yes, a good hotel is a must when you need rest and peace and quiet. And a private bath is AlWAYS a necessity for me. Anyway, I will wait for part 2 to find out what all took place. Proud of you for driving and taking care of "business". You're the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always nice to get away, but not for the reason you had to do so. That B&B looks wonderful. Glad you found someplace close by. Hope everything goes ok and am looking forward to your part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had a nice experience. I am not a B&B kinda gal. I like my privacy. I don;t stay with most people either because privacy and needing our space. But Hilton hotels are great. We stayed for our anniversary at in Inverness in SOuth Denver. It was 2019 before the idiots took over the country and wrecked havoc. ANyway it was wodnerful. Plus the Sunday brunch, althoguh costly was fit for a king and a wueen. We would love to go back. Sean of the SOuth must have come into money to have moved to Birmingham. Lord the cost of real estate is through the roof and into the high skies. If I had to move I would go to Nebraska or SOuth Dakota or Wyoming. After hearing LInda's story of rent in FLorida. I pray hard for them. My nephews ex moved there twice, the first time they returned to Colorado. Then they went back and were in a horrible living situation, God was good and they are settled now. Now the rent is unbelievable. YIKES! My Hannah does research on where to move like a dedective. SHe is too cute. Even traveling....life is surwe hard. Prayr harder. GOD BLESS YOU.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!