Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Who, me?




Thanks to Annie, our 'Tuesday 4' hostess with the most-ess!




How are you unique or different from your friends or family?  How typical are you?

Gosh, I don't think I'm particularly unique - or typical.   I'd love to have been more like my mother -- hardwired for kindness.  Oftentimes I stop to think, "What would mother do?"   No, I'm more like my father -- a hard worker, overly fond of good food and drink.  (LOL)

I think we each bring something unique to the table.  I'm finally comfortable in my own skin, and enjoy the company of a few like-minded people -- in small doses.  Have to admit, however, the last few years I've become more introspective; (and think) I feel things more acutely than most people.     



How do you spend your spare time?  Books, hobbies, visiting, tv, etc?

I waste entirely too much time in front of the television ..... but I don't regret a moment spent on-line!  I can't wait to schedule an eye exam of my own, so reading won't feel so tiresome.  Cross fingers!



What was high school like for you?

Ugh.  All I wanted was to fit in, but had no idea how.

Awkward and self-conscious, I moved about the school like an apparition -- observing, judging, rarely participating.  Not until I joined the choir, Olions (little theater) and found a mentor in my Journalism teacher did I begin to enjoy school.



This question has multiple parts:


Designer style or will any do?
I don't give a whit about designer bags - or even faux designer.  Just give me something with compartments, large enough for all my 'stuff.' 

Pajamas or nightgown?
Jammies

Shoes: Sturdy or pretty?
I left 'pretty' behind 3 years ago when I retired.

Home decor:  Classic, modern, farm-house style, traditional?
Eclectic traditional.   Comfortable and cozy.

Movies:  Feel good, drama, romance, action?
Given my druthers, I'd pick drama first, feel-good second (that includes comedy, right?).  Action, every once in a while.   Afraid I'm too old and cynical to sit through another season of Hallmark happily-ever-afters.

PS - More about drama.  Several of my all-time favorites include Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Castaway, Bridges of Madison County.   I think because they make me hurt, to feel.  In a positive way, that is.  (Does that make any sense?)


🎬



Thanks for visiting ... please come back!

Hugs, Myra

31 comments:

  1. Praying for your good health at the eye exam.

    I agree with you about designer items. I saw a lady's handbag at a shop a while ago that cost £2,000 It had a designer label with a well-known name. I could not spend that much on a bag. I bought my wife a plastic shopping bag they give FREE at the supermarket. It cost nothing when I bought some groceries too.

    I like sitting in front of the TV and have it switched off. It saves electricity and the planet. It also stops my wife vacuum cleaning. She only cleans when sports is on.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a guy! 😅
      In all seriousness, I hate how (some) women are so passionate about making a statement with jewelry and accessories. In fact, I think some of the Coach bags are homely.

      Delete
  2. I love movies that make me feel. Nothing is better than to go to a movie, and after it has ended, have a long conversation over coffee about the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy your answers to these probing questions - and that's a sweet photo of you in school attire.

    I was a complete nerd in high school, self-conscious, awkward, and blind as a bat because I refused to wear my glasses. The only class I loved was journalism.

    I come from a large family with a massive amount of relatives - and I was the ONLY one who was musically inclined and artistic. My mom shared all of my artistic interests and was a brilliant pianist.
    My paternal grandfather was a violinist - so there must be some semblance of music in my distant family history.

    Hobbies? Trying to survive in this cursed rural place where I live. Will the rain ever cease?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never felt unique, just felt different than everyone around me, and that I did not fit in at all and never did, i went through all 12 grades hating every moment and and never had a boy friend, never had a date. I lived in books, from the time i could hold one, and I still do. books are my escape and i love action movies and books, give me a Seal, FBI, Detective, Kick Ass heros are my thing, even female ones. i do love a good drama that sucks me into the story. most of all i love stories in books, movies or TV and NO scifi or cartoons or animated. Good actors are a must unlike the ones in the movies made in the past 5 years where I sit and think I could act better than they do...
    When in highschool i wanted designer to my innermost being to fit in but when I had kids and found real life, i have never wanted anything with a label . just whatever is comfy and looks best on me. I don't carry a purse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for comfy! I'm usually the last to hear about GOOD movies, but totally agree about what passes for entertainment lately.

      Delete
  5. Comfortable clothes and shoes here. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answers!! I like your purse description. Mine would be the same. You are a very unique and creative individual...I always enjoy your posts because they speak to me. We come from the same era so we have very similar ways of thinking. Except I do like my nightie. It's short, so I don't get tangled up in it. Jammies just get in the way when you have to hurry to the potty. LOL. Have a good night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam! You always say the nicest things. Now I'm grinning out loud about the nightie. You know, I'm going to remember that, lol.

      Delete
  7. Oh, Myra, I am so with you on the Hallmark movies. I just can't sit through one. All of the drama movies you mentioned.. excellent! I would be comfy in your eclectic traditional home, in front of the TV!! No pretty shoes in my closet now (or ever, really). My feet are too big! LOL Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The welcome mat's out and I've left the porch light on! 💛

      Delete
  8. My spare time is small repairs and playing with tools in the basement.
    But lately it has been switching hot and cold on my back and READING Westerns. (I am wondering if I will ever read a very serious novel again?)
    I also spend some spare time here on the Blogtown. No movies or TV here and High School was a downer to me where I had just moved into town and did not fit in, BUT I did meet Sherry!!!!
    Love ya and as ALWAYS this is a favorite visit.
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Tom with your toys! 😄
      Yep, the Keeper of the Stars knew what he was doing when your family moved into town.

      Delete
  9. Enjoyed this - we are a lot alike. I also understand about the serious movies and how they make you understand and feel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with your eye exam! I had mine last month and I got some new glasses. Loved your answers. Have a nice week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the picture of you in high school! It can be a hard time trying to fit in yet some people say it is the best time of their life (not me).

    Good luck with the eye exam! Always good to be able to see well :)

    I've been watching at times sappy movies on YouTube at work. Some of them have made me cry at the end. Hoping people around me don't notice it :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hate that feeling when you want to start bawling and can't! When we went to see American Sniper, at the end I was crying so hard (that) Tom patiently waited until the theater hadn't emptied before us getting up.

      Delete
  12. I have one purse that Danny gave me, and that's the only one I use these days. Shoes had better be comfortable, or I'm out of them in no time flat. Hope everything is okay with your eyes, Myra. Let us know how your exam goes.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things gifted from a loved one always mean more, don't they?

      Delete
  13. I always go for the comfortable these days, fashion no longer means much at all. I wear a lot of old clothing just because it is soft and comfortable after so many years of wearing. I used to own a lot of shoes, and purses too, but these days only use a few. The tried and true. Same with my home, I like it comfortable too. Everything is old and familiar and it has worn well. Hoping all goes well for you with the eye exam. I need to make one soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ma! I've actually not yet booked my eye exam, but everyone's comments are prompting me to do so. Today!

      Delete
  14. I swear I made a comment yesterday! ANYWAYS, I like the farmhouse traditional style. I have to make my eye appointment too. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always give us another glimpse of you. I love it. I like the farmhouse style . I need an eye appointment. I make typos so much and I know I will need cataract surgery. Argh.....but value my eyes. I Only buy specifiic Brooks shoes for comfort for me otherwise I don't need to spend gobs of cash on silly purses altohugh I wn lots of them. My seniorn year of high school was tough. I had enoguh credits to graduate early so I did and than participated in the ceremony that Spring.They closed the Catholic schools so public school was a real shocker. SOmehoe I survived and worked a great summer job too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bridges of Madison County is one of my favorites. The first day after my retirement I rented it and Mr Holland's Opus, got me a lot of 'movie' snacks, closed the blinds and enjoyed the whole day. I agree with you, we each bring something unique to the table, because we are all different!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE that high schoolphoto. DOn't be so hard on yourself. You were quite an attaractive gal. Still are. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!