So, a couple of weeks ago I shared photos of these 'mystery' red flowers which suddenly appeared in the vacant lot beside our home. Literally overnight..... poof!
Someone suggested they might be spider lilies, and sure enough a Facebook group I follow ('Alabama the Beautiful') began publishing photos of these pretty little blooms. In the way of explanation, the post read,
They're a symbol of reincarnation, also known as the Flower of the After Life. Often found around graveyards, people used to plant them to help guide souls to the afterlife.
Legend has it that the scent of these flowers bring back all the beautiful memories of the dead one.
It is also believed that if you meet a person you will never meet again, these flowers will grow along their path.
Some of y'all may remember: We learned this land was once part of a large planation belonging to Joel Zeigler -- who, in 1840 founded the church we attend today.
And in what can only be described as delicious irony, our pastor and her hubby purchased this parcel and plan to build on the site of the original residence.
Original Zeigler home, demolished in 2017.
I asked Janet, did you plant the lilies? Laughing, she replied "No, I don't know where they came from."
"But look! Across the road, right there amongst the kudzu."
Neither Tom or I are inclined to other-worldly speculation. But he couldn't help but whisper, "You don't think someone's buried there?" I'm not sure that's legal. Then again, this was an 1800's unincorporated parcel.
Not 3 weeks after they appeared, the spider lilies have all disappeared - save this guy I discovered behind my car and stuck in the kitchen window.






I love home spun legends and homey history. This is very interesting, we will definitely be looking for that flower. Looking at the picture it definitely has the correct name. I do like the legend.
ReplyDeleteLife is good down here, still catching some rain. I also like the history fo the plantation. NICE!
Love from central Florida...
Sherry & jack
I was never especially fond of history 'til we moved here. So much to learn; sometimes I'd like to go back in time, just for a day.
DeleteWhat fun information!! I love folklore like that! It is so great that your Pastor will be your neighbor! I know you are already good friend, too! Perhaps the flowers will show up again!
ReplyDeleteWouldn't that be great? I read they're supposed to appear every Fall, but this is the first we've seen them since 2018.
DeleteOh, what a moving and inspirational message these flowers bring us, Myra! I cannot recall seeing any blooms like this in Georgia, and I sure do wish that my father, a lifelong botanist, was alive to tell me the full details of such a phenomenon. But no matter what the folklore, their beauty can still be treasured, and I, for one, am glad you captured it here.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Why, thank you for saying that, Martha!
DeleteYou never know what can turn up, like the lilies.
ReplyDeleteHmmmm ... Better not blink!
DeleteThey are beautiful flowers; glad they were part of your life for the time they were. I look at them as a gift from God. Perhaps hope?
ReplyDeletebetty
Oh, were that so! I'm choosing to believe you're right.
DeleteI love the stories, and I hope you had a safe and happy weekend. ❤️
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jean! Yes, life is sweeter in the slow lane. :)
DeleteThank you for following up the story of the flowers with this post, Mevely. Very fascinating. They are beautiful, aren't they?
ReplyDeleteBest wishes always. God bless.
Yes, those blooms which grow wild are my favorites. Blessings, my friend.
DeleteI've never heard of spider lilies, but their history is deliciously intriguing - especially around this haunting time of year.
ReplyDeleteThere very well might be some old graves on the property....
Perhaps you can organize a Halloween excavation party (just jesting, of course....)
You first! I'll stand by with my cell, ready to call 9-1-1. :)
Deletecool story! I'm the one (and maybe others) who suggested spider lilies and I thought about your blog just last night and was wondering if I had been correct.
ReplyDeleteYes! Yes, you were, Lisa. Thanks for the reminder ..... and the germ for this post!
DeleteI think it's awesome that Pastor Dan it is going to be building on the part of the plantation that the original home was on and that her home will be there as she pesters the church that the original owner of that lovely old home and this day and time. I have seen those spider lilies many times but had never heard the story
ReplyDeleteIsn't that so cool? I think old Joel would be pleased and proud.
DeleteI think it is very well thought that folks can buried there. Remember, back then, folks were buried near their homes etc. Have a great Monday, my friend!
ReplyDeleteWell, I know little-to-nothing about history (ducking, sorry!), but now I can tell hubby he may not have been wrong.
DeleteI love this story and love the spider lilies too. I too think there could possibly be someone buried there from way back then. I guess we'll never know.
ReplyDeleteYa, I guess you're right. The neighbors might not take kindly to we senior citizens wielding shovels and pickaxes. LOL.
DeleteWhat a sight to behold! Nothing like like some flowers to cheer us up. Good you have found out what they are. Such a beautiful explanation.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Pam!
DeleteI love old folk lore, this one was so interesting. I've heard of spider lilies, but had never heard of the story they represent.
ReplyDeleteMe, either! Thanks, Mary.
DeleteWhat an interesting share. I don't believe I have ever seen that flower. I like it!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Debby. Have a great weekend!
Delete