Good morning! Y'all doing well?
It's been more than a decade since I posted 'Labyrinth or Maze?'. But given the current state of our world, I thought it might be worth a re-run.
Labyrinth or Maze?
Life's journey sure can take us places that we didn't plan to go!
I recall when, each weekday my father would drop me at school with a cautionary: "Keep your wits about you!"
Nevertheless, there have been many times I've had to admit: I should have stopped and thought. More than stopped and thought. Stopped and prayed. Stopped and felt. Because we can't always navigate life's journey using only our left brains.
Years ago my pastor shared an ancient myth about a labyrinth:
A great hero was trying to find his way through it to destroy a monster, and out again to regain his kingdom. (Kind of a nice symbol of our own lives.) The way in which he was able to navigate the labyrinth was, the princess who loved him had given him a ball of twine and she held onto the other end!
I wasn't aware, but there is a difference between a maze and a labyrinth. One is symbolic of chaos; the other, order.
Life isn't a maze; it is not geared to trick you. It's a labyrinth. The only decision is, whether or not you're going to start on the pathway leading to the center and out again.
We're prompted to ask,
"Am I on a journey that will, if I just go slowly and pay attention, lead me to my destination?"
It's neat to know that - no matter how crazy difficult our lives seem - that God has a hold of that other end of twine.
* * *
I hope you all enjoy a blessed Sunday.
Please stay safe!
Hugs,
Myra



i think there were several times, I dropped the line or cut it and went the path that was the wrong one. still came out the other end but left a lot of chaos behind me. maybe he tugged and i ignored it..
ReplyDeleteBeen there ... done that!
DeletePS did not know the difference in meaning
ReplyDeleteYa, I used to presume they were synonymous.
DeleteGreat post, Mevely. Thank you so much.
ReplyDeleteI suppose it is a matter of "Thy Will Be Done", as opposed to "My way is better. I did it my way!" Even though my way may have led to difficulties and disasters for me and others.
God bless you always. Thanx for your wisdom.
How nice that your post today complements mine. Great minds! :)
DeleteThanks for sharing! I had no idea there was a difference in the two and it is a great metaphor for our lives. Have a blessed day!
ReplyDeleteI didn't either! You do the same!
DeleteA beautiful thought. Hope you have a lovely day friend.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it? The same to you and your fellow inmates. :)
DeleteI've actually walked a labyrinth before, Myra, and it can be a wonderful spiritual experience.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and be safe!
How wonderful! Have you written about it?
DeleteThis beautiful post has given me some much-needed optimism and courage.
ReplyDeleteDuring the past few years, I've often felt that I'm holding the twine but nobody is at the other end....
If this has given you even an ounce of optimism and courage, I'm delighted.
DeleteIt is amazing how you and commenters like Jon, Stacy, Victor and Sandra can express their feelings. I think it but cannot express it as well. I like the input of Victor 'Thy Will Be Done,' I haven't read this 'comparison' before, but it is so true. At times if feels like a maze!
ReplyDeleteLove you lady and this is a nice way to start a Sunday!
Sherry & jack
It sure can! (Feel like a maze, that is.)
DeleteI agree -- some of our friends are wonderfully expressive.
I've always felt more comfortable expressing my thoughts in writing rather than in conversation. Thanks!
DeleteLoved the story of the labyrinth. Mazes have always intrigued me. I do agree that God holds the key to our lives. Good thought for a Sunday!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! Happy SONday!
DeleteI love the idea of God holding on to the ball of twine as we go about out lives.
ReplyDeleteMe, too! Comforting, isn't it?
DeleteI do believe God indeed holds the twine of our lives. I also think he lets us go down some "mazes" and then gently brings us back to the labyrinth to remind us to keep our eyes focused on him and our hearts to be aligned to his will for us :)
ReplyDeleteHave a great Sunday! Warming up here in Phoenix with 100 plus days for the next week :)
betty
Good point, His allowing us to make some wrong turns before discovering the error of our ways.
DeleteThis is not something I ever thought about, comparing a maze with a labyrinth. How comforting to be reminded that God does indeed hold onto that other end of the rope. Thanks for this!
ReplyDeleteI hadn't either until I heard that sermon in Clearwater so long ago. Nice visual, isn't it?
DeleteI walked a Christian Labyrinth once - I think it just went on and on and on and as long as you followed the path nothing stopped you.
ReplyDeleteThe maze you have to figure out.
I think this virus must be the maze.
That had to be an amazing exercise. Excellent point about virus and the maze! I agree.
DeleteIf God is holding onto the other end, I'll hold on forever.
ReplyDeleteMe too, Susan. Me too!
DeleteI like the comments along with yours. Jon's comment, expressing yourself in writing rather than conversation. I like that! The Good Lord is forever turning me in the right direction. Someday's more then others. The weirdness of this world makes me stay close and know God is the only One in control. Always good to see you here. HUGS
ReplyDelete