Friday, July 19, 2019

Friday Fotos




 Following Tom's procedure at the VA, I suggested we detour downtown and check out the Jeff Davis house.
That's someplace I've wanted to visit since coming across a photo of myself taken while on vacation in 1958!


In the shadow of today's State Capitol building …..


sits the First White House of the Confederacy

Mr. Davis' birthday (June 3, 1808) remains an official State holiday!




Here's the scene I wanted to re-create.
(Click to enlarge)
60 years later, "Hello, again!"


 Imagine the parties!

Strategists' Planning room.
(Oh, to have been a fly on the wall, privy to conversations!) 

 President's bedroom
(The 'Mrs.' had her own quarters.)

* * *

On a lighter note!
Another meme recently asked participants if they've ever (or do) wear wigs.

Ohhhh, ya.  

My hair has always been pathologically fine, thin and just plain ornery.  Then, in my early 20's I discovered wigs!  For a few years 4-5 'heads' became my BFFs.  Now, looking back, I have to wonder WHAT in the world I was thinking.  


Wig-a-geddon!

So!  In case anyone's having a gloomy day and in need of a laugh, please consider this your public service.

* * *

Finally, here's an 'aw' moment.
(I filched from my granddaughter's FB page.)
 Josh loves their rescue, Annie Kay, so much!

* * *

Hope everyone enjoys a super weekend!
Stay cool and be safe!


Hugs, Myra










29 comments:

  1. loving the cat on a leash. adorable. the thing is I have a photo of me looking just like your wig head, but mine was MY OWN HAIR... OMG! why did we wear our hair like this. I would get my cousin to tease it and get it like this and wrap toilet tissue around it at night to protect it for a whole week. at least you could take your off and on.... love the recreation of the old to the new in the same place. I love old homes. there are many of these in Savannah and I have been in all of them. once I took my dad with myself and 2 friends when we visited him. he got tired and walked behind a rope and said on a 300 year old chair. I heard the woman Shriek NO don't sit and he did. we got out of there in a hurry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO funny about your daddy making himself comfortable on a period piece! I'd totally forgotten about wrapping our hair in toilet paper. What price vanity. :)

      Delete
  2. Omgosh, love, love, love the before and now photo. That sure looked like a nice tour--something we would enjoy.

    As for hair, I had such nice long, thick hair. Then, cancer took it (My photo is 22 years old). I have such fine baby hair now, can't do anything with it.

    Thank you for such a lovely post, smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I well remember when my hubby lost all his hair from chemo … and it grew back all curls. My saving grace is TONS of hair gel and spray.

      Delete
  3. lovely photos. that cat on the leash is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm smiling at Linda and Saundra's comments. I remember the 'wig craze' and tease days. the toilet paper etc.
    And you are fortunate, not many get to recreate a picture from their youth! We have never been to that Jeff Davis memory, but we have been to the Jeff Davis home in Gulfport (or Biloxi, MS)
    But my friend Tom makes a great picture, but OF COURSE you do better and just a little prettier! ;-)
    So strange in 1958 we visited the Jeff Davis home on the Gulf. Our first son was born in Biloxi that year.
    I enjoyed the tour and pictures of past history, too bad many are taking history and making it a modern day whipping horse. BUTU it is what it is!
    Loved the visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How ironic! I'm embarrassed to admit, I didn't know Davis had a home on the Gulf.

      Delete
  5. I love the "then and now" pics. That sort of thing has always appealed to me. When my hubby was in Nam, my mother-in-law and I were looking through their old family albums, and one picture, in particular, tickled my fancy. It showed my hubby and his dad standing side-by-side next to the picket gate in front of their house. They both had their ankles crossed, and my adorable hubby was wearing a pair of sunglasses. (He was maybe three or four years old.) So when my hubby came home, I made him and his dad pose next to that gate for me. It was a great picture, and I hoped to get one of them... along with our older son. Unfortunately, Pop died before we could do that, but I did get one of my hubby and our son. That trio of pictures are genuine treasures to me today.

    Wigs? I never got into them when I was a teenager, but my mother wore them occasionally. I borrowed one of her wigs to wear to work one time, and a coworker also wore a wig that day. (We planned it ahead of time.) I thought it'd be a hoot of a change from my usual long blonde hair to a short brunette wig. NOT! Turns out, my mother had a reeeeeally tiny head compared to mine, so that darned wig kept popping up like a silly hat. (But we got lots of laughs out of it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's funny. Great photo memories, you have! No, make those priceless.

      Delete
  6. I've been in an extremely foul mood these past few weeks. Your blog posts always brighten my day...but...

    when I saw "Wig-a-geddon" I laughed so hard I nearly fell off the chair. I wasn't laughing at the photo, but rather the sentiment. It's a great descriptive phrase!

    I also LOVE your photo recreation!!! I've always wanted to do that with several of my old photos but never had a chance.

    Question:
    How the heck did he ever get a cat on a leash??
    When I first got my cat Scratch I bought her a leash and she ran the other way and never looked back.
    I still have the leash, and -thirteen years later - she still looks at it with intense disdain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew! Annie Kay was rescued from a commercial trash container; the kids have always been (justifiably) over-protective of her.

      Delete
  7. So glad you got to visit and recreate the photo. I love it! I had lovely hair yet I remember wearing a wig in my early 20's. It was popular at the time. That's so sweet about the kitty. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were all the rage. I had short, long, curly, red (etc.)

      Delete
  8. I knew a lady who had cancer and she knew she would be losing her hair with chemo so she got a wig before she even began treatment that looked so much like her own hair that no one even knew she had gone through treatment until the end of it (she wanted to keep it private). I do like your picture of your wig though!

    How cute that you reproduced the photo. That was a great idea to do! Looked like a charming place to visit with a bit of history thrown in too! So cute with the cat! I don't think I've seen too many cats on leashes before!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, THERE'S an example of someone taking a lemon and making lemonade. Sweet story!

      Delete
  9. That is wonderful that you managed to re-create the photo of 60 years ago. You should frame both as a great photo. The inside of the house looks really palatial.

    I like the way Josh takes the cat for a walk. The last time I did the same I fell off a tree.

    Keep smiling, Mevely. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you got to see the Davis home before 'someone' decides it should be burned down. I LOVE those pictures of you in front of it, though! Happy weekend! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? So much unnecessary venom out there.

      Delete
  11. Oh Girl, you had B I G hair! Love that photo. My first wig was with my first neurosurgery. I refused to touch my head because half of the hair was shaved off. SO the hubby shampooed the left side and the doctor told me to buy a wig. He said get something dramatic so your hubby will think he's with a different woman every night. HaHaHaHa! I tried a harness on my poor boy Boots once. He nearly had a heart attack and that was the end of that! WHat a sweet little feline to be leash trained. An older gent on the next block use to walk his cat too.But he was a big ole boy. Everytime I saw them that cat would stare at me as if to say, what you never saw a cat taking a way??? I've been inmany of the old Southern homes uncluding both Jefferson Davis and STephen Foster who wrote My Old Kentucky Home. My SIL Joyce once reached over the velvet rope to touch a period chair from Louis XIV or someone! LOL! The bells and whistles went off. I can still hear my brother saying, if you go to jail Joyce I'm going to pretend I don't know you. Have a great weekend! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE that doctor's sense of humor! Oh, what I wouldn't give to see that cat's expression!

      Delete
  12. The Jefferson Davis house is amazing, Mevely! And I love that you were able to juxtapose those two photos of you in front of it. Wow! However, the wig??? You have me wigging out a bit with that one. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good to laugh at ourselves, doesn't it? Hope you enjoy a great weekend, as well!

      Delete
  13. Super cute with the photo redo! And I like the wig photo. I missed out on the discussion of wigs, but maybe I need to post something somewhere about my experience with wigs! Those babies were HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been near a few Jeff Davis historic sites, but never gone to any of them. Someday maybe I'll slow down to take time to visit one of them. I do like historic places.

    I suppose I could have good reason to wear a wig if I wanted to appear to have a head of hair, but I don't particularly care that much.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the wig, Myra! You look like Tammy Wynette! :)
    I've always had thin hair, too, and it's getting worse the older I get. I'm seriously going wig hunting SOON. I'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a fun post. I love the recreated photo. And the wig! You were and are still beautiful.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good post! Seeing past and present is always a hoot! Your wig was way better than mine, probably better quality and more$$.

    Lookin' good, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!