Monday, March 11, 2019

Who moved the water cooler?



Um, that would be me!
So as not to step on Terri's toes, or miss participating in her Wednesday Medley, I thought Water Cooler Wednesday Monday might be a fun exercise.  



So!
Last week Pastor Janet began her sermon:

"As people, we are imitators."
(Putting aside my shopping list, I sat up a little straighter.)



For instance.
Children love to imitate their super heroes … teens adopt one another's urban expressions.  Even old married couples take on each other's characteristics.  


When I moved to West Texas in the Fall of '68, (unconsciously) words like y'all and fixin'-to became a permanent part of my vocabulary.


How about you?
Are you an imitator?  How so?



Have a great new week, m'friends … stay safe!

Hugs, Myra

23 comments:

  1. oh yes, I am an imitator. I moved from Savannah GA to KY at age 10 and my southern drawl underwent drastic changes to the KY drawl, two totally different drawls. married a yankee and he changed words and I changed words. still giggling at your shopping list... the one thing I do not imitate is fashion or brand names..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guilty … ya, my mind tends to wander! If I ever was tempted to desire certain brands, being around my former boss would have cured me … the most materialistic person I've ever known; wouldn't have a purse if it wasn't Coach, or a piece of jewelry that wasn't from Tiffany's.

      Delete
  2. Great reminder of Harpo and Lucille Ball.

    Imitator? I often like to quote myself in conversation. It adds a certain je ne sais pas to what I say; although I don't know what it means.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, neither! (Ha, you knew I was going to Google that, didn't you?)

      Delete
  3. I'm an imitator to some extent, but mostly am my own individual. Children do like to imitate the heroes and it's important to give them good things to imitate. As I watched my grandchildren this weekend, I saw that the boys wanted to be like their dads, and the little girls are very much like their mom's in lots of respects, but still they are each their own individuals too. But mostly I saw the love shared by my family in so many ways. I still use words like you all, an imitation of my southern relatives...and I'm hoping you all have a great Monday there. It's a good one here in northern Ohio!

    Love and hugs,
    'ma'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point! Children are constantly watching and listening. Having arrived late to my own authentic voice, I sure admire you and your loved ones' individuality.

      Delete
  4. Yep, I am an imitator. It could be seen in my building business, I built like my mentor. Small straight and affordable. LOL Also like him I did build a few upscale but did not like to.
    I wish I could imitate my dad or mother but I never could have reached that level.
    Good subject to think on, that is for danged sure! I'm fixin' to start packing for the trip north, but not past the 'y'all' area.
    Love y'all,
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet reflection on your parents! Don't we all feel that way at some time or another? I'm pretty positive they'd say the same about you and Sherry.

      Delete
  5. I guess we are all imitators in some form or fashion. I'd love to get to the point where I'm imitating Jesus more faithfully.
    Blessings, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That was just the point of Janet's sermon.

      Delete
  6. I agree with Martha Jane that we all tend to imitate in some way. When I was a kid and would spend a week with my Kentucky cousins, I always got home with a southern accent! It is important who we spend time with because behaviors do indeed "rub off". I feel blessed with friends here in blog-land who are believers. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagining you with a southern drawl … so cute! One blessing from being retired, my language 'enhancers' have all but disappeared from my vocabulary. Never have I ever been around so many foul-mouthed women.

      Delete
  7. I try not too but I suppose we all learned from someone, right? Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it's human nature. How important to choose our role models!

      Delete
  8. Not so much as I've grown older but if I'm going to imitate anyone I would hope I would imitate Jesus and live like he did :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what our pastor was trying to impart!

      Delete
  9. I'm definitely not an initiator, but neither am I an imitator. I most often remain true to myself (which, incidentally, has gotten me into more trouble than I'd care to remember....)

    BUT
    When I moved to West Texas I admittedly became somewhat of a faux cowboy...(with the boots and hat, etc) but I never adopted that (annoying) "y'all" drawl...(*smile*)

    BTW
    I can't remember what year I moved to TX - but I think it was around 1997.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks, cowboy. I'm surprised you managed to resist. It can be insidious.

      Delete
  10. Absorbing an accent? Yup, that's me. We lived in Ireland for a few years and we definitely absorbed it. Esp. my son--he has an ear for music and absorbs language, incl. the Irish language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a gift! The Gaelic tongue seems particularly difficult.

      Delete
  11. I have noticed that I am an imitator but I probably am!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute post. I can't come up with anything for your questions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!