Monday, March 18, 2019

Water Cooler Monday: Listen to the Music



No, I'm not really here.
But thanks to the 'scheduling' feature, I'm able to act on a memory.  

Say what?  A recent McDonald's commercial has reignited some strong recollections from my own teen years.


(Quoting from the web) "Every parent in possession of an automobile knows it can feel like a claustrophobic cell if a joyous group of really loud kids have found an earworm of a song to sing together while you drive."


For sure, our Methodist Youth Fellowship chaperones must have had invisible halos.  In the back of 'Uncle' Art's station wagon we sang it loud, sang it proud (over and over) -- "Last Train to Clarksville."

So, today's poser --

Close your eyes ....
You're 16 years old once more.
What are you singing?

Oops!  I guess I should have rephrased this.  Just curious what was the first song that popped in your head from that age.... not necessarily a 'road' song.
(YAY for Wi-Fi at the lake!)




From the shores of Lake Martin ... hugs!
Myra













23 comments:

  1. I forgot you are At The Shore... hope you are having fun and good weather. cute commercial, I have not seen that one.. no singing in cars in our family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it's not too late! (If Tom doesn't like my singing he can turn off his hearing aids!)

      Delete
  2. When I was a kid going to my grandparents we always sang, She'll be coming around the mountain and as a teen sang, Love me Tender... Yes a lot of singing was done in cars and I still do for that matter. Sometimes with others, but mostly by myself these days. I'm thankful for the technology that is keeping you in touch and bringing back some good memories today.

    Love and hugs,
    'ma'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Coming Around the Mountain', yes...that was fun! And, do you remember, 'The Bear went over the Mountain (to see what he could see)'? Good times!

      Delete
  3. Her's hoping you had a wonderful Birthday. Bets wishes once more, Mevely.

    God bless. Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry ... for the bad speeling. Automatic spell-check made too misteaks in my previous post.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. LOL, Darn that auto correct. Thank you so much; it's a great time thus far.

      Delete
  4. Like Victor's 'excuse' I blame it on AGE! haha.
    "Memories are Made Of This" old Dino. Enjoy your time on the lake.
    Love from North Carolina.
    Sherry & jack\
    PS: Tom can take it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don McLean's song American Pie. Still enjoy listening to it 45 years later!

    Enjoy your time at the lake!!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I've forgotten most of the words, but can sure belt out the chorus... with vigor. :)

      Delete
  6. You've Got a Friend is the song that comes to mind. Have a marvelous time at Lake Martin, Myra!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, aren't we bloggers building an awesome playlist for our virtual road trip?

      Delete
  7. That year had 'bubble-gum' music on the jukebox. Red Rubber Ball same to mind first. Oh my gosh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All together now, "...and I think it's going to be alright; ya, the worst is over now!" (Sorry for the earworm!)

      Delete
  8. Memories of songs always seem to settle on Purple People Eater, and Polka Dot Bikini. Why? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember being so disappointed when my mother wouldn't sew me a flying purple-people-eater costume for Halloween! :)

      Delete
  9. How about "Those Were the Days" sung by Mary Hopkin.

    P.S.
    What's this I hear about a birthday? I hope it's a great one with all good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      You don't look old enough from your photo to remember "Those were the days" by Mary Hopkin.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Oh man, that's one of my favorites. Each line resonates deeply. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

      Delete
    3. Believe it or not, I was nearly 50 when that photo was taken.

      Delete
  10. In the year 2525! Boy if that song hasn't played out in the world since it was written.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!