Wednesday, March 27, 2019

National Joe Day!








Whadya know?  Today's ….
Who'd have guessed?
If you're interested in a little 'Joe' trivia, just click here!  Without further ado ...




Who is your favorite "Joe/Jo" and what can you tell us about him or her?


My former boss, Jo Anne, is larger than life -- a brilliant mind, coupled with a terrifying demeanor.  My second day on the job I grew so frustrated, so angry I burst into tears: "What do you want from me?"

In spite of our (considerable) political and religious differences, she was my strongest ally.  It was Jo Anne who, on one dismal birthday, dragged me to a nearby bar and trash-talked Mr. Wrong.  In turn, it was me who dragged Jo Anne to the cardiac E.R. and sat holding her hand for hours until her husband could be located.
Oh, the work lunches we spent coloring butcher paper and drinking copious glasses of wine at Macaroni Grill!

We experienced 9/11 together.  And the next day, put aside our religious differences to light a candle and say a prayer.

I've hated her; I've adored her.  I miss her.



Who were you named for, and do you or did you know that person?

I was named for my mother:
She, Evelyn Myra … I'm Myra Evelyn.



Do you have a middle name and do you like it/use it?

See above. Mevely, is a derivative of both names. 



Have you ever named your car?  Tell us about it, please!

My first car - an ugly red Rambler station wagon - I called Murgatroid.  No idea why!

In later years, I named my Corvette 'Cesare' for a ship's captain I once knew.  (And adored from afar - ha!)




Tell us the name of a fictional character you have never forgotten and why you remember it so well.

I'm at a loss to define why ….. but Francesca (Bridges of Madison County) resonates.




Share something random with us about your week.

It's all been delightfully ordinary!

Friday night we enjoyed pizza and cheesecake with Troy and family.  Despite their health challenges, it was great seeing and visiting with Lois' parents again.  Wow, it's been 21 years!


Tom learned a hard lesson in the importance of following recipe directions, v. improvising. (I'd better leave things right there!)  But! If you're interested in an easy-peasy way of preparing spaghetti and meatballs in the slow-cooker, check out Ma's blog here.


It's been a long, LONG time since I've been enraptured by a book … shocked by it's conclusion.  I'm giving 2 thumbs up, 5 stars to Alex Michaelides' novel, The Silent Patient.

If you've read it, I'd love to hear your impressions!



Finally ...
Because it makes me giggle.
What do you call these onions?

A while back Tom and I became caught up in a verbal struggle.  I said, "We need a purple onion."  (Tom:  "We have two red ones in the refrigerator.")  Me:  "No, I said a purple onion."
… and so on it went.
Have you ever been so sure of something ... so wrong.
Examining one of these I read the little tag, "Red onion."



All in all, ordinary is good!
I hope yours is, as well … please stay safe!

Hugs, Myra    














39 comments:

  1. Well they certainly look purple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red onion is my hubby's onion of choice, but they are purple not red. I did not know they existed until he said buy me red onions.. also had never in my 40 years bought anything from a deli. he said I like my sandwich meat from the deli, not packaged. WHAT is sandwich meat? we call it lunchmeat. but he eats it a supper time, dinner time to him.. the beat goes on

    I put this book on hold at the library. waiting now.
    My most favorite truck I even owned was a 1980 Chevy, stepside truck. it had 4 in the floor and a 454 engine. I could raise the front wheels on take off... I named it The Silver Bullet. I had to trade it when I started selling RE but I did sell my first RE sale out of that truck. We had a 4x4 GMC named JAMES because the tire were 36 inches and our other was a normal size GMC SUV named Jimmy... the big and little of it all. sorry for taking up all you SPACE ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom calls it lunch meat, too … and would rather they slice it fresh from the deli counter.

      Delete
  3. you will see this answer AGAIN because I just realized it will make a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cna't wait to heard more about Jimmy and James!

      Delete
  4. 3 comments and I am out. forgot the JOE question. the firs thtough in my head was my Cup of Joe each morning. that is my favorite Joe.. I did love my co worker Jo and we ate lunc together each day for about 10 years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! Have you tried/enjoy bullet coffee?

      Delete
  5. Jo Anne sounds like a formidable person.

    I have named my present car some names I cannot repeat here.

    I am a good cook. My dog can vouch for it.

    In the UK we call them red onions. I call them more expensive onions.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Formidable, absolutely. I can still hear Jo Anne bellowing down the hall, "UNACCEPTABLE!" I think the other partners were a bit intimidated.

      Delete
  6. Ha! I can sympathize about the boss's terrifying part, but I don't think I will ever be good friends with mine. I will settle for not feeling like I'm under the microscope all the time.

    The onions are clearly purple. Must have been named by a color-blind male.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Color-blind. Yes, that's it! Sad, but I'm not sure Jo Anne's ever forgiven me for (1) leaving to move to Arizona, and (2) my conservative and Christian beliefs.

      Delete
  7. They definitely are purple - I agree with you! Not red! HA! That is great that you developed such a rapport with your boss - I have never had that experience! I loved most of mine but from afar - I am a very "work at work" "home at home" person...I rarely mix the two....HA! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Separation of work and home is a wise philosophy, indeed. My relationship with Jo Anne was volatile, but precious - a once in a lifetime sort of thing.

      Delete
  8. I had a boss similar to your description of your Jo, however, we were on the same page politically and religiously. I admire you for enjoying the relationship despite the differences. Red onion/purple onion, I only like those in salad or sandwich. All other times I use yellow. I like the combination of your name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Ya, Tom uses yellow onions almost exclusively.. they're all good!

      Delete
  9. Yes, I call them purple too, but they really are called red in the store. Sure don't know why. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going with Stacy's suggestion -- someone was color blind. LOL!

      Delete
  10. My hubby wouldn't know a purple onion from a Vidalia onion! LOL Thanks for joining the Medley! I enjoyed reading about your old boss, Jo Anne. Love & hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom actually knows more about shopping and food prep than I do. Blessed!

      Delete
  11. There is Joe CArver, my sons age, one of the most original and funny guys I know. There is Joe Darnell, solid nephew.
    There is Leon, my middle name. There are times I wish I had been called that. It took a few years, 7 to 18 before I could handle Jackie as a name, once I was told I had a girl's name. HA!
    Great read, as always.
    Imma check the name of that onion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie Leon … I like it! My former hubby's youngest son's given name was/is Joey. Joey Patrick. He hated that!

      Delete
  12. I like the description of your former boss Jo Anne.
    I've never known very many Joes - and I didn't particularly like the few that I knew. But I did have a terrific uncle named Joe (now deceased) and I have a wonderful cousin named JoAnn.

    I was named after my father - which is why I legally changed my name when I was 16.
    I don't have a middle name.

    Fictional character I've never forgotten?
    FAR too many to list. How about Caroline Ames from the novel "A Prologue to Love" by Taylor Caldwell.

    I've never called them red onions. They are indeed purple....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NMI, huh? Not so many of you, I don't suppose. I'm unfamiliar with that novel, but curiousity compels me to check it out!

      Delete
  13. My older brother named me "Sister Susie", apparently Eisenhower had a gr-daughter name Susan.

    Today is Nat'l Scribbling Day. I am all with that.

    Red onions, which are used in Mexican food. Altho, they are indeed purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about Eisenhower; and didn't she have a brother, David, who married Julie Nixon? I could go for some Mexican food right now!

      Delete
  14. I'm going to see if our library has that book. Does sound interesting! Your Jo Anne sounds like a great friend! I had a Joanne in my youth growing up and she too was a good friend (must be something with the name?)

    Glad you got to spend some time with your DIL;s parents.

    I do like how you were named. So very clever of your folks.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty. Ya, when I travelled back to Florida last summer I was sad that Jo Anne didn't have time to meet up.

      Delete
  15. Jo Anne sounds like as really great friend! I bet you do miss her and I am sure sje misses you too. Did you guys keep in touch on facebook or anything?
    Isn't it wonderful for things to be delightfully ordinary? Those onions look purple to me. I have heard my mom call them red onions though. I guess she read the little tag too. Hee, hee Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we're still friends on Facebook … altho' I have to be careful not to 'react' to some of the stuff she shares. (Probably likewise; HA!)

      Delete
  16. When I was younger the friend I had and his friends called this one boy It, just because they thought he was weird and didn't like him. Thinking back on this now, I think that was really cruel!

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that one! I've a vague memory of our 5-6 y/o gang calling an older boy, "Monkey Face." I wish I might go back and apologize!

      Delete
  17. I do happen to have a cousin Joanne And I love her dearly, but don't see her very often at all. The thing with Joe Day though is that I thought it was all about that good cup of coffee that is often called a cup of Joe. Now that I can relate to. I really love my good cup of hot coffee. Thanks for the shout out on my one pot spaghetti. I do hope at least yours was edible and had a good taste.

    Love and hugs,
    'ma'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it had a good taste! Tom put in 3 jars of tomato sauce, and very little water/broth. After 6+ hours (v. recommended 2-5) the poor spaghetti had the consistency of mush - LOL!

      Delete
  18. It's too bad more people with opposing political and religious views don't learn to be as supportive with each other as you and your former boss. You guys acted like... dare I say it?... grown-ups!

    My name was supposed to be Ian. My mother was positive I was going to be a boy. Then they took her glasses away from her in the delivery room, and she couldn't see much of anything. When she saw my father, she told him I was a boy... "with lots of curly black hair and a huge 'hoojie'..." HA! It must've been quite a shock when she saw me with her glasses on. I had a barely noticeable blonde fuzz on my head, and no 'hoojie' of ANY size. I guess Susan was the closest name they could come up with to Ian.

    Um, yeah, those onions DO look purple, but I've always called them red.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too funny about your mom! Ian, huh? Actually, I like the name Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lots of Joe/Jo's in my life. My maternal grandfather who I never met was Joseph as was my paternal grandfather. My mom's baby sister was Jo and she was a really wonderful, outgoing person. My nephew Joe is the father of Joseph who is dad to Paisley Joe (she is the spitting image of my sister Pat who passed away in 2001, her Great grandmother). My grandmother's cousin was also Joe and he taught me, as a small child, not to fear horses. My cousin is JoAnne and she has her own mom's name (Ann) and Auntie Jo. I was named for JoAnne's mom Ann and given the middle name of Marie, a common Catholic combination. We had a Dodge Neon in the 1980's. My co worker Janet named her Tootie! HaHaHa! Tootie was neon blue, thus the car name I suppose. Perry Mason. The hubby and I watch reruns faithfully. Oh my gosh, we are junkies, we hardly watch any other kind of TV other than sports. Perry Mason was so cool, he always seemed to win his cases and he was pure class. He was honest and kind (the actor Raymond Burr was also very kind, according to former co stars). Perry and his personal secretary Della Street were just terrific and they both are kind of like heroes to me and Avery. As a kid, I loved all the Western heroes, especially Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. They do not make TV like that anymore. Sad. We spent three trips to the urgent care trying to my honey well. Today he saw a thirds doctor, still waiting for a referral to a Pulmonary Specialist and going on a third anti-biotic and a new inhaler. I have a copy of the book The Paris wife, recommended by a blog friend. We do call a red onion a red onion because any recipe that calls for it says it is an onion, red in color although mighty purple looking to me. I loved answering all these questions here. I better come over here more often. Have a great SONday. HUGS xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. my neighbor is joe. the only one i know. i call them red onions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm listening to the book on Audible right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!