Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Liz and me



Good morning!
I'm tickled to link up with Terri for another episode of ...

MEMORIES


Click HERE to join in.  
No time?   I'm pretty sure we'll be here again next Wednesday, and the Wednesday after that!


* * *

With the onset of the school year my thoughts can't help but ricochet.  

Melodramatic, perhaps, but to borrow a line, "It was the worst of times."

Neither attractive nor witty, I wasn't especially intelligent; certainly not athletically inclined.  I wasn't unpopular … just invisible.  



2, 4, 6, 8 … we're the Class of '68!
Front row:  Liz is seated second from the left, Myra 5th.


Between 4th and 5th grades my family moved across town and I met Liz.  Maybe because she was routinely taunted ("Cooties!") we bonded.  To this day I marvel that teen suicide wasn't a 'thing' back then.  Instead, in response to the bullying she endured, Liz became a strong, highly intelligent young woman … unlike me, unafraid to speak her mind.  

Liz & Myra

Like so many 'best' friendships, ours has ebbed and flowed.  In retrospect, I've been most responsible for the ebb-ing … she, right there when I'd flow back again.   For instance?

I recall an incident from h.s. Home Economics:  Assigned to pick a dress pattern of our own choosing, we were to sew it in time to 'model' for the faculty (i.e., our final exam.)

Not having the common sense God gave a squirrel, I chose a 'granny gown' -- something with a fluted collar and long sleeves capped at the ends.  Pretty optimistic for someone who couldn't sew a button on a shirt … and not particularly interested in learning.

You guessed it.  Liz not only finished her own dress but made mine at the 11th hour.  (Nope.  No images exist … in all honestly, I think I threw it away!)

Smiling at the memory, I recently sent her a PM on Facebook.  Her response? "That's what friends do."
    
* * *

So, our class is celebrating its 50th Reunion in Los Alamos next month.  Liz will be there.  Of course I'm curious.  But not enough to warrant spending my time and money to watch the 'in' crowd mingle, congratulate themselves on this and that, then look at my name tag and ask "... remind me again?"

* * *

Oh, I've several dear friendships from my teen years … we've reconnected on Facebook.   In fact, Liz is heading up a private reunion next Spring on a 3-night cruise … hopefully, to include my one and only (short-lived) boyfriend....


Gordon:  a Montgomery Clift look-alike with the soul of a poet … whose father had the audacity to ruin my life (LOL) when he moved his family to Idaho between our junior and senior years.  (More about that later.  Perhaps.)

* * *

OK.  I've prattled on long enough … but I wanted to share this picture from my senior yearbook, depicting a couple classmates on the school's annual "Groady Day."   Is it my imagination, or do they look like some of today's teens on a regular school day? 
  





As ever, thanks for visiting!  Stay safe!


Hugs,
Myra





34 comments:

  1. Sorry for (what looks like on my end) the wonky fonts gone awry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myra, I'm sorry you feel that way, but what a great friend Liz is. I went to three of my reunions and though I didn't get to participate in many of the activities and extra curricular activities in high school, I did enjoy being friends with everybody at school and everyone seems on equal ground on Facebook. Your home ec sewing story sounds very similar to one I wrote about a couple of years ago. I did not like seeing or my home ec teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does seem we Facebook 'grown ups' are now on equal footing … funny how Life revolves and evolves.

      Delete
  3. The fonts look OK on my computer. No worries.

    Thank you so much for sharing your memories with us. It's good to have nice memories of people and experiences; and also to have the wisdom and strength to put aside and forget any bad ones. Those people in your past who were not particularly kind are not worth reminiscing about, but worth praying for.

    God bless you always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was blessed not to be abused, but rather ignored.... but you're right. There's no use concerning myself over the past.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like my high school years were much like yours. I have never attended a class reunion. My 50th is next year and I won't be going to it either. I am not friends with a single person from my high school class and I still live in the same town. But then I wasn't friends with them then either. LOL! Loved this walk down memory lane. When I went to school girls were NOT allowed to wear anything but dresses and skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us, either! I remember one particularly severe snowfall we were permitted to wear slacks to school but had to change into a skirt when we arrived. (This Groady Day was an annual 'come looking like a bum' event, probably to boost morale.)

      Delete
  5. I’ve ever gone to any of our high school reunions either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an enjoyable post - and it certainly resurrected memories of my own school days. I was one of the biggest Nerds that ever existed (I didn't become Satan's advocate until after I graduated).

    Good friends like Liz are hard to find, but friendships like that last a lifetime. I'm still in touch with a few close friends that I had in school. Nowadays we simply marvel at the fact that we survived and are still alive.

    That Groady Day photo certainly exemplifies what the kids look like nowadays - only I think they now look even worse.
    I (painfully) recall the STRICT dress codes they had when I was in school.....

    ....which was during the Taft administration.....(*smile*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon … I always look forward to your 'asides' and this didn't disappoint! I've not many close friends from that period, but I'd rather have them than 100 acquaintances.

      Delete
  7. That was a fun walk down your high school memory lane! I've not been to a reunion yet. We have 50 years coming up in 2020. Maybe I'll make that one! I'm glad you and Liz have reconnected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! I'm so glad you started this meme!

      Delete
  8. Liz sounded like a gem of a friend. Glad you are still in contact with her. I don't know. It might be fun to go back to Los Alamos and see the changes and then go to the reunion just to see how many of the class is still alive. Having said that, I just went to my 15th reunion and haven't been back to any others.

    Wonderful reading about your memories from high school. I don't know why some people say it was the best time of their lives. For me it certainly wasn't.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was. Is. I can't justify the expense to return 'on a whim' … but very thankful for websites (non Facebook) that chronicle those who have passed. Many gone too soon.

      Delete
  9. I read all the comments and it looks like there were others beside you and me that did not love high school... once again you have found another story like mine. I got and F on my dress, and it was a sleeveless sheath, after the 3rd time of ripping out the side zipper I ripped the dress in half. mother made me turn in the pieces. home ec and PE were my dreaded subjects... I barely passed both classes. not every person is a physical person or a home ec person, but back then there were no options. my 55 the reunon was 7 years ago and I have been to none of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, that's hilarious - your mom making you turn in the ripped dress. You're right. Not every student is physically or domestically inclined.

      Delete
  10. High school can be hard. It’s hard for me to believe that there were girls in that school cuter than the two of you.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've managed to miss both 40th and 45th classic reunions, but am okay with that. My best friend during high school wasn't going to be there. Although I have some fond memories of that time in my life, I have no desire to relive those days. Thanks for sharing your memories, Myra! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying that! Life looks infinitely better through the FRONT windshield, doesn't it?

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed your pictures and all looks just fine as far as I can see. I had some great friends in school and remember those days with fondness but I've only attend one class reunion and that was the 20th. I sat with a friend and some of her friends, but really didn't have much to say to any of the others. It was interesting to see how everyone had changed though. Now my friend from school has unfriended me and haven't heard from her at all in many years. I've no desire to attend another reunion and sit by myself. I live in the same town where I went to high school and never see anyone from high school days. Makes me wonder where they all went. It's nice you still have some you keep in touch with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm stunned that anyone would UNfriend you, Pam! Unfortunately, I've come close (oh, that wicked word, 'politics') but realize I don't have to agree with someone to care for them.

      Delete
    2. This is one of 'em ME too! replies to Myra's. I can't believe anyone would unfriend my friend! ;-)

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am having a fourth day with Murphy's Law! Can't even leave a comment that is not riddled with errors. Argh......
    If I knew you back then during your hgh school days I would have loved hanging out with you and your friend too. I had a nun who hated me in high school and tried to fail me in sewing class. My auntie Ang saved the day. SHe still would not give me a good grade. Boy the comments my auntie made. HaHaHa! SHe was an excellent seamstree. The nun suffered from halotosis! I hope you hve a wonderful weekend. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rolling on the floor over here, sweet Anne! Your remark about halitosis just sent me over the edge. I'd enjoy hanging out with you anytime!

      Delete
  16. liz sounds like a real gem. i too have no desire to go to my class reunion. the few dear friends i had have passed away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to learn your friends have passed. No doubt, attending a reunion then would be more painful.

      Delete
  17. I love this. How in heck did I miss it? Just my take, but I doubt if you have EVER been invisible.
    The read if good and YES friends are the best. Reunions? I go with my sweetie to hers. They have even asked this dropout to speak this year.
    My old class hasn't had enough folks die out to start inviting the dropouts. Most classes here after the 60th reunion starte looking around for folks to fill seats and start calling the dropouts to 'give them a chance' to enjoy reliving the past.
    Anyway, as always I enjoy YOUR entry!
    Love from NC, Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Both you and Sean of the South give the word, "Dropout" a good name! Because of the (understandable) mortality rates, Tom's old h.s. has begun having group reunions for several years' graduating classes.

      Delete
  18. The only reunion we went to was our 30th, and I had to practically drag my husband there. We both had a blast, but all of those other people had gotten so old! :) We're kinda sorry we didn't go to our 50th, because so many of us are kicking the bucket these days. Maybe we'll hit our 60th if we're still kicking. (We graduated the same year, so that makes things nice and neat... we've got sooooo many of the same friends.) I guess I'm weird. I loved school. It was home that wasn't very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow … the same friends after all this time! That's pretty cool. 'Not sure Susan, but I suspect you could make a good time out of an IRS audit!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!