Monday, August 13, 2018

My Week That Was



Good morning!   (I love being able to say that with a straight face on Monday.  LOL!)


Right now I'm feeling relieved.  And a little annoyed.

Relieved to learn there's no job to be had.  

Annoyed, because when we spoke last, M. said she'd call me the last part of July; we do lunch and share 'what's what.'

I finally e-mailed M. on Thursday and she's all, "Oh hey, Myra.   Good to hear from you! Yes, R. has decided to stay.  Drop by some day and let's set up lunch."   (Um ... I'm thinking, no thank you.)   

Like my former boss always said, "Everything happens for a reason."

* * *


Backing up a couple days …

Before classes begin in earnest, Tom took a break from his fence-building project and we drove over to Auburn.

… and promptly got lost.  Man, that campus is huge!   

 I learned its enrollment is nearly 3 times that of my hometown!

War Eagle!

(A bit of background?)  Shortly after we moved here I was all excited to discover a Mellow Mushroom pizza spot.  Except Tom - in a rare display - pulled the "stingy card" and said, "No."  (I'm usually the budget-conscious one, but he has his moments.)

Well, just when our stomachs started growling, there came a big thunderstorm.  A real toad-frog-strangler, like we used to say in Texas.
When it got difficult to see, Tom found a parking spot on College Street ... but even with the wipers on high we couldn't make out the store's signage.
Finally the storm let up enough we could make a dash inside … and discovered it was a Mellow Mushroom.   Friends, I had to laugh so hard!   

Even after 14 years, Tom still surprises me.  Coming back from the ladies room he's all, "I don't know what you're having, but I'm ordering us an appetizer."

The artichoke and spinach (hot) dip was to die for!

Isn't that bowl adorable?

I ordered a Caesar salad … that actually arrived Greek, but that's OK.  It was so fresh, but there was way too much!   (Better the next day!)

I was intrigued by the sounds of the Kosmic Karma or Holy Shitake pies … but Tom's a purist. 
He still gave his pie two thumbs up!



The only unfortunate part of the day ... 

I was way too stuffed to even think of checking off another item on my bucket list.  Cute soda fountain-- a tradition since 1896!  There's always a next time!


* * *


Oh, I've more … 
… but that can wait for another day.
What I can't keep on the back burner, it's official!

Grand #1 and Josh became engaged yesterday!  Woo-hoo, I'm going to be a grandma-in-law!   I don't know any details just yet, but we're delighted.



I hope your week's off to a pleasant start?  We'll chat soon … stay safe out there!  



Hugs, Myra

24 comments:

  1. Congrats to your grand daughter and her fiancee! They make a great looking couple. Wishing them much happiness!

    Too funny about the pizza place! A little of God's invention, don't you think?? Bet he was smiling down on you and Tom!

    Good about the job. I agree, not doing lunch sounds like a reasonable thing. If you choose to work, there will be something down the line and if not, just enjoy retirement!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! Ya, now Tom has a new favorite pizza place ...hee-hee. Have y'all been to the one in north Phoenix?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, many things are said seriously sounding, but not really meant seriously.

    I remember very well the serious, I'll get back to you in my own job searches. And yep sorta rubs the wrong way. I remember in job searches some interviewers practically said, you are perfect for the job, BUT I have one more person so see.(He gives the impression he is so interested in you and basically you have the job.) I seldom heard back from ones like that. (Not the same idea in your case, but the same idea, not following thru!)
    Anyway Congrats Grandma in law. and a smile and thumbs up on the pizza! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know sometimes I'm hopelessly naive, but I can't understand why some people just don't say what they mean. Not very trustworthy.....

      Delete
  4. My dire mood today is far from being wise or witty, but I'll take a break from my multitudinous problems and leave a comment.

    (did I spell "multitudinous" correctly??)

    First of all, I think you're far better off without the job. For some psychic reason, I had bad vibes when you first mentioned it. And my vibes are always apt.

    I luv that sculpture of the eagle. He really looks like he's ready to pounce.

    I've never heard of the Mellow Mushroom, but I've smoked a few (just kidding.....maybe).
    Their food looks fantastic - and that appetizer is a meal in itself.
    I'm suddenly craving pizza....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I was drawn to that sculpture. Things can be confusing: Auburn's mascot is actually the tiger, but their rally cry is "War Eagle." (The origin, dating back to the Civil War is interesting, but rather sad.)

      Come down from your mountain sometime and I'll be happy to split a pie with you!

      Delete
  5. I have never had this kind of pizza or artichoke dip but I can tell I would love it, of course it must be expensive so maybe I would not? I am cheap to the bone, but pizza is my 2nd favorite food. with a burger first. I am still smiling over the run through the rain into what you wanted in the first place. I need to start a bucket list, local I mean, and find someone to do it with me. bob has no desire go anywhere at all except to eat burger or a pizza.. I am with you, say what you mean and mean what you say… this just means the job was not for you and if you are meant to have one you will find one.... be sure it is something fun. your granddaughter is beautiful and they look so happy.. congratulations. I am so happy for you that you are happy in your new hometown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that it's that expensive, Sandra. The appetizer was but $8.99 (I think). When I first showed Tom the specialty pies on line his actual comment was, "No way I'm paying $25.99 for a pizza." (But that's the large …)

      P.S. - First and foremost, my pick for a last meal would be a burger.

      Delete
  6. Many congratulations on your gran's engagement. May they be happy together for a long long long time. We wish them well.

    That pizza looks delicious. Saved me a piece?

    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Victor. Do you have access to good pizzas there?

      Delete
    2. Apart from the franchises like Pizza Hut, Dominos etc ... the best pizzas I find are in Italian restaurants.

      God bless you and yours, Mevely.

      Delete
  7. That’s a beautiful campus down there.
    I love the old book store (can’ remember the name). If you think there a lot of people there now, wait till football season.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? We were overwhelmed by the crowds back in '10 at our first (and only) football game.

      Delete
  8. Wow! An engagement! Excited for your granddaughter and the whole family, Myra. And yes, I have to agree that Mellow Mushroom has fantastic pizza.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great day and congrats to the happy couple!! Salads are always better the next day - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like mine 'wet' so yes, the next morning after 'soaking' all night in the fridge it was nicely marinated. :)

      Delete
  10. Congrats Grandma in law ! That's one honor I've yet to achieve. I've got some grands that could be of age, but haven't found that special young man or woman yet. Going back to work after retirement was never my choice. I'd missed so much in life due to work, I wanted some time off just to enjoy all I could before I got to old to do so. I've never regretted it. That dip and pizza look absolutely delicious. Glad you now have a new favorite spot to go to. I'd not heard of the Mellow Mushroom before, but if and when I see one, I'll be stopping. Hope you have a happy Tuesday ! Enjoy every moment !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ya, I'd enjoy just a few hours each week to build a little nest egg … for Christmas or a girls' getaway.

      I think the Mellow Mushroom has restaurants nationwide, Pam. I'm going to see if I can't find that dip recipe and try to recreate in the crockpot.

      Delete
  11. the Holy Shitake pie is to die for. congrats to your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, how exciting!! A wedding!! Congratulations to bride & groom to be! We have a Mellow Mushroom here and didn't like it the first and only time we went (right after they opened). I think we should give it another try! I enjoyed your post, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I'm sorry to hear about the job and upset that she didn't call you. Wow, that pizza looks delicious! Congratulations on the engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a beautiful phamily! Congrats on the engagement! Such fun! Beautiful couple. Oh college campuses are fun and the food places dreamy too! Such fun! Enjoy all your new adventures! I am poor like a church mouse but I enjoy my life. Chasing puppies, now caring fora older cat with kidney disease. Trying to get the fat cat to eat his weight loss food. Searching for one nervous Nelly cat that belongs to my son-in-law. But if someone has stuffed me inside 12 pack beer box with 5 siblings when we were born and dumped us in the trash when it was over 100 outside, I imagine I would be be skittish too! Then there is Leo, he just runs to the door the second those puppies hit the great outdoors! HaHaHa! He is their father figure though and boy oh boy, do they love him. ALl 95 lbs. of him next to their 3 lb., 3.5 lb. and 4.6 lbs. little bodies. He is the kindest canine watching his step so puppies are not squiched! He is a gentkle giant for sure. I believe we all come to a point where our job is to have some fun and relax. Life slips by so quickly. I always believe God has a true plan for each one of us. Tomorrow I get to spend a few hours with my Brody boy. His other grammie watches him and I often feel sad he won't love me like her but I do my best. AT least he doesn't cry when he sees me. I think he hated my transitional lens on my glasses. I Have new ones now and no dark lense changes so he seems fine. I sure love knowing you and I never had you share a read that I did not love. Thank you HUGS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!