Tuesday, November 4, 2025

Sound bites and pieces

 

Peek a boo!






Oh, y'all.  I've been sitting on scraps of possible posts -- the whole of which wouldn't even make a decent tea towel.   

So for today, color me --


Singing, "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year."

Yes, I'm one of those oddballs who loves these shorter, darker days.  Unfortunately, the dogs are taking it badly.  They "know" it's time for their 5:00 medicine, even tho' the clock reads 4:00.  I'm hopelessly unprepared to explain the concept of Daylight Savings time to their furry selves.



Cautiously Optimistic

Back to Square #1 on Tom's hip replacement.  Our experience yesterday morning at the (new-to-us) Orthopedic Clinic was wonderful -- a day-and-night difference from his previous provider.  From the moment we walked in the door and were greeted by sincere, smiling faces I felt a huge weight's being lifted.



Grateful

After all, this is the month of giving thanks -- even for the little things.  While chatting on the phone and simultaneously frying my weekly 2# of loose meat (aka, chuck crumbs), my phone slipped off my shoulder ..... landing face first in the greasy protein.

Whew!  Like Timex, it's still ticking!






Pleasantly surprised

By the movie we watched on Netflix -- Caramelo.  (Click here for preview.)  It may not be Oscar-worthy, but we both loved this humorous-sweet-sad film.  Thanks for the tip, Sandra!



Finally,
I'm undecided

Whether to keep my next dental appointment or go in search of a new provider.  Dr. M's a gem, but his hygienist threw me for a loop last week.   Because I tend to build tartar more often than the average bear (lol, TMI?) the cleaning was taking longer than she expected.   We agreed, I should start coming every 3 months v. 6.  

Then, I'm not sure what prompted it, but she patted me on the knee and said, "That's all right dear, you've lived a good, long life."
(Me, "huh?")

I mean I know my own age.  My bones know it.  All the same I walked out feeling befuddled.  Deflated.

Am I being too sensitive, you think?
Or, should I just own it  ... give in to my own whims, regardless how age-inappropriate they may be.

For instance, these.  In case any of y'all have an "in" with Santa, I'd seriously love to see them under the tree.

(click to enlarge)







Well boys and girls, I think that's all for now!  Thanks so much for stopping by!

Hugs, Myra














37 comments:

  1. Delightful Bits and Pieces Myra.
    So glad you are happy with the new doctor for Tom's hip. That's a real God-Send.
    Boo in the DA and her strange response to the cleaning.. Was she a "sweet young thing? Some people have NO filter...enough said...
    I would love those boots too but I just can't wear heels any more..Bunions and gimpy knees make it a problem I guess that's TMI too.
    Have a great day, its always fun dropping by your blog.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly -- I'm guessing they're all about 20 ... or look that way. My friend thinks today's young people aren't so shy.

      Delete
  2. Hi Myra! It's so good to see you, it's been way too long. I'm back to blogging this month for Nablopomo and looking forward to reconnecting with all of my blogging buddies. You should have just told that hygienist to go play in traffic, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you're hygienist didn't mean it the way you took it. Frankly, I wouldn't let it get to you. A little grace goes a long way!
    Oh that's yuck on the phone falling into the ground beef - one good reason I don't care for potlucks. 😏
    I also don't mind the standard time. It wouldn't be Fall and Winter if it didn't get dark early. Trust me, it will only last 6 months!😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, and I always think to late - I would have loved to ask her what she meant. She probably didn't mean anything, but I agree it was odd. I don't know why she connected a cleaning to your life.

    Glad your phone works.

    I don't mind this time change either.

    I am finding I love being home and cuddled in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, praying for yours and Tom's good health.

    No ... you are not too sensitive. That hygienist was rude. If it happened to me I'd respond, "Well, I hope you reach the age you think I am."

    It may be harsh, you think; but then I failed my exams in diplomacy when at University. And I will engage in a battle of wits with an un-armed (witless) person.

    There's a prevailing attitude these days that is rather ageist. A number of young morons do not realise how much they owe to the older generation.

    OK ... I've vented my anger.

    God bless you, (including that ignorant hygienist).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I see so much ageism today, it's almost discouraging.

      Delete
  6. I agree the hygienist was condescending and inappropriate, and I’m glad Tom has found a new doctor that he feels comfortable with

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved it lady. Well except for the hone taking a slicky swim. Great to walk into ANY medical office and feel comfortable, praying that will work out for Tom.
    Sorry I am smiling to myself about the hygienist. a couple years ago I wanted a broken tooth pulled. I agreed to a cleaning before the extraction. The young girl frowned, your teeth look terrible, this is gonna be a job. I wanted to say, hey these are over 85 yrs old and they are mine. ... I just wiped out the long comment to say. I agree with Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get angry, Jack, at the attitude towards elderly people. I am in contact almost daily with old people who need help in one way or another which I will not talk about publicly here online. Old people are often treated with lack of respect; and lack of gratitude at what the older generation has given to today's bunch of morons.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Thank you both so much for having my back! Okay, I'm gonna let it go (let it go, let it go ....) and LIVE the rest of my life. ❤️

      Delete
  8. Gosh! What prompted that hygenist to say something like that!! Could you just ask for another tech, or are you stuck with "no edit button"? I'm so glad Tom has found a good orthopedic clinic. Having confidence makes such a bit difference!! Do keep us posted! Glad your phone survived its swim in the ground meat!! Yikes! Love ya, Myra! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I think I'm going to try and find another dental office closer to home. xo

      Delete
  9. Oh, Myra, how I wish I could wear boots again, but due to my balance issues over the years, that's not in the cards. I had a similar experience with my gynecologist's nurse when needing to reorder my hormone replacement drugs. She actually told me that women of my age only needed to be seen every other year, to she would make sure my prescriptions were filled. Talk about a humbling encounter! Let's look at it this way: We are old, respect is what we should be given to us. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaat? No-one prepared us for these sorts of things, did they?

      Delete
  10. Wow, I think I would have been a tad offended at the remark. Like you, I know how old I am, (not yet ancient, but I've been around the block several times) but I don't need a dang hygienist reminding me I'm long in the tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Probably another good reason why I don't like to go to the dentist...if they had their way we'd all have sparkling white fake looking implants or whatever it is that they do to make everyone have such overly bright white teeth that they make us have to wear sunglasses to look at them! LOL. I'm thankful to still have all my own teeth, even if they do show my age a bit. They've gotten me here, well fed and I can still smile at my enemies...LOL. "“My heart rejoices in the Lord;
    My horn is exalted in the Lord.
    I smile at my enemies,
    Because I rejoice in Your salvation." I Samuel 2:1

    So there! Glad Tom's new doctor was pleasant and helpful. Oh, so sorry about the phone in the meat/grease! Maybe it was time for a lube job! LOL. Glad it still works. Okay, those boots were made for walking..sort of...they are cute and funky, and the heels aren't TOO high, but I probably would still manage to turn my ankle. Let us know if you get them, and then you must share pictures of you wearing them, okay??? They are really cute, especially the flowered ones. Do you have a dress to wear with them? Please let us know! I am adjusting to the new time..."hello darkness my old friend..." I had to drive to choir practice in the dark last night, but I had the full moon to escort me back home...it was lovely. Okay, that's all, I filled up your page. Have a lovely day my dear "old" friend...we are the same age, you and I, and so I can get away with that...remember..."smile at your enemies", it will make them wonder what you're up to! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a big smile you've put on my face! I've no doubt if we lived closer to one another we could be BF's.

      Delete
  12. I am NOT shocked at the tooth grinder comment, I am shocked the phone survived the greasy swim, wow on that one. it will not happen to me, because my neck is so stiff from Mr Arthur, that I can't hold a phone with it. I lay it down on speaker phone.
    I love the black boots on the bottom right and would wear them if I could but can't. I can barely walk in flat shoes. One of the singers on the voice had them on and I thought, I wish I could wear those. I say buy them and wear them, life is short.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My dogs are taking the time change badly too. I'm having to ease them into a different time. Really, can we stop with the time changes already!!?? Just pick one and leave it there. I feel wasted for 2 weeks myself. Geez.
    Hip replacements: I pray I don't have to go that route too. Sending prayers that your Hubby will be OK no matter what is decided. Growing old is not for sissies.
    I like this time of year too. The cool weather, the shorter days, the smell of burning leaves ... yeah, it's nice. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't like anything about the time change, although falling back is easier than springing forward. I think animals of all kinds are immune to clocks, they can't tell time. But they have a natural instinct that can't be beat. I say we should all be like that. It would be a no on the boots for me, I cannot wear heals at all. I think you should tell the dentist how rude the hygienist was to you. He might be in danger of losing more than one client.
    Good thing your phone still works, they are very expensive to replace. All in all it sounds like your blessings are greater than your woes. Focus on them instead of the negative. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a great song. Sorry about the girls but they will adjust. Glad things went well at Tom's appointment. That was an odd thing for the hygienist to say. Really you want some boots. Anything with heals scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good news on the Orthopedic Clinic that was wonderful, it make a big difference in attitude when your happy with your provider. Mr D and I are having some issues right now with ours, don't know how it's going to turn out. About the hygienist, I don't know about the words she spoke, but the pat on the knee would have done it for me. Excuse me, are you patronizing me? She probably didn't mean it to be offensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you and Mr. D are experiencing some issues! I'm saying a prayer ... God is in the details.

      Delete
  18. Yes about Pam and Corky BEll's. She introduced herself yesterday! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think the hygienist was rude!! I'm so glad you are pleased with the new orthopedic doctor!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!