A misnomer, since I don't even have a sister.
Nothing's rang my chimes lately -- but with little on our agenda, the other morning we decided to check out a new listing. 'Nestled' (said the ad) on 13 lush acres, the house was(is) nearly 6,000 square feet. There may have been a time the child-I-used-to-be wished she could live in such a place. Nowadays, all I can imagine is the labor required to keep clean ... or pay the electrical bill.
Some days are better than others, but I felt led to spend $3 on a whimsical coffee mug. UNfortunately, when stepping out of the car, my foot caught the bag and my bounty hit the concrete. Tom thinks he can glue the bottom back, but do I really want to drink hot coffee out of something gluey?
I found a decorative plate belonging to my mother and Lois let me cherry pick her collection of succulents.





Can’t wait to see what stories those succulents and vintage finds might whisper
ReplyDeleteMe, too. Who knows? ...
DeleteSo sorry to hear your bounty hit the concrete. I love the Gingham tablecloth! I remember in The Waltons TV series they had a green Gingham tablecloth in their kitchen. I have always loved it. Yours is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI loved that show, too!
DeleteI was going to suggest you plant something in your found treasure, but you got there before me! It looks great with the succulents!! Well done! I find things at thrift shops often. No qualms about wearing gently pre-worn garments if they look nice and still have life in them. I buy furniture at consignment stores, too. Let's go shopping!! xo
ReplyDeleteI'd like that so much!
DeleteI have more frayed edges than you'd want to see, and I'm overflowing with colorful stories. It's a shame that the cute coffee mug has to be glued. Keep it for decor.
ReplyDeletePreviously owned clothing? Heck, in my wayward youth I wore an old used army jacket for years.
Jon
I remember that, Jon. What became of it?
Delete"...nearly 6,000 square feet. There may have been a time the child-I-used-to-be wished she could live in such a place. Nowadays, all I can imagine is the labor required to keep clean ... or pay the electrical bill."
ReplyDeleteI was gonna say, that's a lotta cleaning!
I'm guessing if one can afford such a house they can afford professional cleaners. (*sigh*)
DeleteWowzers, that's a huge house...So sad about your purchase...It seems like that would be something I would do.
ReplyDeleteI am all about previously owned clothes too. Some of my favorites came from "there".
I love the quote about old souls with frayed edges..what a lyrical way of saying that.
I think I need some succulents in my life. I won't kill them and they would give me a spot of green.
We will definitely be dry as the temps soar to 100F today and not a cloud in sight. The AC will be working over time.
Sue
Thank you so much! That meme totally speaks to me.
DeleteI've certainly no qualms about shopping at second-hand stores, but as I don't need much at the moment, haven't done so lately. So sorry that your treasure had an accident, but I do love it with the succulent nestled inside - perfect! Blessings, Myra!
ReplyDeleteI don't need anything either ... but it's such fun to look!
DeleteAs a child I hated having to wear hand-me-downs even though they were still mostly new and very clean. I found it embarrassing having to go to school in a dress.
ReplyDeleteIs that our tablecloth? How did it get there? Ours has been missing for a while.
I like that bird house. Birds can fly straight through that tiny hole, you know. Unless you put a piece of cling-film over it. Great fun!
(I am in a silly mood today!) God bless.
Silly is good! I love your sense of humor.
DeleteA great idea to plant that succulent. Fingers crossed. That's too bad about that whimsical mug that briefly raised your spirits. We need a lot more whimsy!
ReplyDeleteI agree!
DeleteLet's see - I agree - 6000 square foot when you are younger is a dream. When you are older reality sets in. I like your mug - sorry it broke. I am not thrilled about wearing used clothes - it's a mental thing with me I guess.
ReplyDeleteNo worries, Sandie ... it's all good.
DeleteMy two daughters (they are very close sisters) share clothes all the time and my two granddaughters share right along with them,. Not likely daily, but if there is a certain occasion that needs fancying up, they go to each other's closets. So sorry about your cup....what a big disappointment. I will say, I'm with you...I have no desire to have a lot of space to clean up...I'll stick with less. I sure hope you all enjoy a wonderful 4th of July...Hugs...and prayers for safety during this holiday...
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, dear friend. Y'all do the same!
DeleteI used to love to "shop" in my mother's closet for some of her "cast offs" that she was no longer wearing...she had some lovely clothes. I saved some after she died, and only recently, after 19 years, I finally reluctantly relinquished them to our thrift store since they really were just taking up much needed space in my closet. I think my mother would understand and approve. I am sorry your special mug bit the dust, but I am happy that you have "repurposed" it to hold succulents! Now it has a story to tell to everyone. I love the "old souls with frayed edges..." meme quote. That really touched me today. I just finished reading the book by that dear "old soul with some frayed edges and colorful stories" who visited me the past week, and I must say she could really weave a good story!! I am impressed! I will have to share more on my blog later. I hope you have a happy 4th of July! Bye for now!
ReplyDeleteMy parents didn't own much in the way of clothing, but what they bought was Quality. I'd have loved to wear some of my mother's, but she was far smaller than I.
DeleteP.s. May I borrow that meme about the old souls for my blog post? I think it will go along well with my story about the book I just finished reading.
ReplyDeleteShare away! I'm looking forward to reading your post.
DeleteI don’t mind second hand clothes as long as they’re clean and in good condition. No thanks on that big of a home. Now back when I was young, more space would have been desirable Along with a designated space for my daycare! I would have loved that. At times our dinky 1305 sq feet seems too much. It’s cozy.
ReplyDeleteHey you repurposed that mug! It looks great!!! 👍🏻
Thanks so much!
DeleteYou said: Sometimes I wonder about the previous owner of a certain object ... what secrets she might share. Yes I have thought the same. Enjoyed the read, and comments. Love frm NC
ReplyDeleteGreat minds! 💜
DeleteI had 2 sisters who always wore my clothes, trouble was when wanted something to wear, it was dirty. They liked my clothes better than their own. Some of the best buys I've ever gotten were from resale shops. Enjoying summer vacation here in Ohio this morning. Much cooler than Texas! Hope your summer goes well! Love, ma
DeleteThe same thing happened to my BF when we were in high school ... I'm chuckling at the memory!
DeleteHave fun up there!
I'm headed to your recent posts to read about Publix and the pies!!
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteI love the cup and saucer and was shocked to hear they did not come together. My brother and his wife are NEW to the bone, every house, car, item they have ever bought was NEW. I am the opposite.
ReplyDeleteWhen Bob and I got married we had nothing but his house, and our 2 current paychecks and each of us had a charge card full to the max at 500.00. 40 years ago that was a lot. His house had practically nothing in it. We had a blast, every week end we hit the two local flea markets, one being and old drive in theater where people parked next to the speakers opened their trunks and spread out STUFF.
I furnished/decorated by on my day off, I went to thrift and antique stores for decor. we also hit yard sales. the only new thing we bought the first five years was a mattress for the bed. and two swivel chairs for 99 dollars at home Depot.
When I sold Real Estate I did so in beautiful clothing found in thrift stores and my broker gifted me two nice dresses she could not wear. one thrift had high end clothing, and I went wild and spent 30 dollars on a 200 dollar dress. Yes I love used things. and now I am sitting here looking and three end tables, and a chair were thrift or found on curb.. sorry for high jacking the blog
I love your memories ... good times!
DeleteI bet Publix made it right? smiles. Wishing you a lovely day.
ReplyDelete👍
DeleteI would feel like I was living in a hotel with a 6000sqft home! We do have some wealthy friends that have a home that large, just the two of them rambling around in much too much space. HA Oh well, that's what they wanted and they have the moolah to maintain it. Sorry about your mug, maybe you could glue it and just enjoy looking at it. ☺Just a thought☺. Hope you're enjoying a great day.♥
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mary! Even crazy hot, life's pretty good.
DeleteCute cup. Yeah, I don't think I'd drink anything hot out it after it being glued. Just being cautious.
ReplyDeleteI agree on the no thanks on having a 6,000 sf home. Think about the annual taxes too. Yipes! I like my little, cheap 'cottage' in the woods.
What is it with so many of us old bloggers falling all of a sudden!? Y'all keep that to yourselves, 'k? *giggle* I've already had my tumbles and subsequent medical issues (I hope there won't be anymore!!). 😉❤️ Happy 4th to y'all!
😎😘
Delete