Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Q-n'-A at the Hodgepodge

 




    Thanks to Joyce, our Hostess with the Mostest!
    This week she asks ...




What's a skill you think everyone should have?

Checks + balances + budgeting
Swimming

Too, basic auto maintenance.  Not only am I'm still confounded by my car's Information Station, I'm (deliberately) ignorant about putting air in the tires.


 

Do you have a special place or organizational system for gift wrapping? Do you still buy 'real' cards to send for birthdays, anniversaries, get-well, etc? 

Hahaha.  Gift Bags were invented for folks like me.
The only 'real' cards I buy these days are the 50-cent variety at Dollar Tree ... the obligatory sort.

This makes me a sad, remembering the days when a friend and I'd regularly exchange the funniest ones we could find at the Hallmark store.  Loved those places!  Do they even still exist?


It's National Banana Day...are you a fan? What's your favorite thing to make with bananas or, if you're not a cook, your favorite thing to eat that contains banana? 

I discovered a forgotten loaf of frozen banana nut bread just last week!

The recipe's practically as old as Methuselah, but last year I began using a little more buttermilk than what's called for. My taste testers gave it two thumbs up. 



Do you believe in second chances? Elaborate. 

Not really.  It depends!

I used to believe this ...



... but took a long look in the mirror and didn't see a halo.  I've had more second chances than I deserve.



What is your idea of fun? 

We used to love attending open air arts-and-crafts festivals... but Tom's no longer able and it's no fun going alone.

The last time I had FUN was attending a big estate sale with Cindy and Diane and lunching after.
Time spent antiquing/thrifting with friends is right up there, too.



Insert your own random thought here.


Eclipses aside...

Have you tried taking a selfie through a toilet-paper roll and making yourself look like the moon?

This link (click here) makes it look easy. Cute!

My efforts were, (ahem!) less than stellar.

I don't get it!

I've never seen an egg-shaped moon before, have you?

Were I to look up in the sky and see this, I'd be running for cover!

Much better!



Let's see your 'moonies'!




Hugs, Myra


  


46 comments:

  1. What a cute post today! I loved the picture of the dog through the toilet paper roll. How adorable! I think everyone deserves a 2nd chance and have given 3 chances even, but after that you're out! Like you I've had a 2nd chance too I try to have fun every day. I don't need to go any place, but just enjoy life to the fullest ! We've had some cloudy days here in Texas this week. What a let down after lots of sunny days, but no doubt they will return again soon Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excellent at budgeting, never balances a checkbook, always off by pennies and it was a struggle. now i don't write checks and keep up online. i dread the thought the cards stop working and internet goes down.

    bags for me, but that was in the past, i can't remember the last gift i gave, kids want cash only. I asked them. no cards sent and rarely did in the past.
    YES on 2nd chances, i have had so many 2nd 3rd and 4th I can't count them.
    and I am laughing my head off at the mooning of YOU... I just this minute took photos of Beau because today Ann has Gibbs in a TP roll and it was better than mine, Beaus will be on Friday, just put it on auto I THINK its on auto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked and it wasn't there, i had published it on the 12, LAST friday. OMG

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately I still have to write checks to a couple places that want a 'convenience' fee for paying with plastic.
      How did I miss Beau's TP photo? Going looking now .......

      Delete
  3. I used to buy enough birthday cards at the beginning of the year for the nuclear and extended family. None of the kids, nephews, or nieces seemed to care so I stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey ... I've found a new use for toilet rolls. What a great idea.

    I agree with you about gift bags. So much easier than wrapping. I once gave someone a gift with a sheet or wrapping paper and a bit of Sellotape and asked them to wrap their own present. I am NOT appreciated in my own time!!!

    God bless, Mevely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go! I saw a meme on FB showing a box of cake mix with candles scotch-taped to the front and note that said, "I bought you a birthday cake -- some assembly required."

      Delete
  5. That was funny you taking pictures out of a toilet paper roll. Loved your poor doggie in his cone.
    I agree with you about all the skills you listed including air in tires.
    I do send some cards. From the Dollar Tree which i have heard that some of them will be closing.
    There are a few Hallmarks left for special occasions.
    I like the meme - but I do think I believe in second chances. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course, on second (and third) chances. That meme was supposed to be a joke ... I hope no-one takes it seriously.

      Delete
  6. Good gawd - I couldn't imagine how I'd look through a roll of toilet.paper. Then again, it might be an improvement...
    A skill that everybody should have? The ability to think for yourself without outside influences.
    Gift wrapping??? Hahahaha
    I like bananas but I hate artificial banana flavors
    Second chances? That's a tough one. Some people deserve a second chance....but some shouldn't be anywhere near a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My idea of fun?? Presently I'm not familiar with the word.....

      Delete
    2. I understand!
      The idea of thinking for oneself probably disappeared about the same time as Walter Cronkite.

      Delete
    3. I knew you would understand what I was saying *smile*

      Delete
  7. I feel like people look at you like you're crazy when you want to write a check now. Cash sometimes too. It's all cards all the time. I think there are a few instances where giving a second chance is unwarranted (abuse), but mostly we all need second chances from time to time. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's not the way I meant it (checks and balances) but you've a point. I've a loved one who uses cash almost exclusively.

      Delete
  8. LOL @ those photos. Never thought to do that but it's creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised I hadn't heard of this before. Actually, it's a great excuse to laugh -- at myself.

      Delete
  9. I have spent many a time standing in the aisles at Hallmark and laughing outloud at cards. I'm just so weird, but I don't really care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your responses to the questions. I just finished doing them on "Just Breathe".
    We just finished the last 2 slices of banana bread yesterday. One of my favorites. I made another one and gave it to our neighbor.
    I agree that knowing about "banking" is an important skill. I also think knowing how to cook a simple meal and do the laundry are equally important.
    I forgot about the eclipse through the toilet paper roll and threw the last one away.. I guess it just wasn't meant to be..haha..
    Fun is traveling and just being with family.
    Fun is a good cup of coffee and sitting out on our patio and just "zoning"
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! ... and those 'skills' aren't just for women anymore.

      Delete
  11. I think practical world/work skills should be taught in schools along with the reading, writing, etc. Oh, wait, I forgot that all schools really do these days in indoctrinate. What a sad state of affairs our younger generations are encountering.
    I love sending real cards, and will buy stamps before the rate hike, for sure. Buying cards at the discount stores is a great idea, too.
    Blessings, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree about world/work skills! Before I went away to college, I remember my mother having to show me how to write a check. Clueless!

      Delete
  12. I laughed out loud at the toilet paper photos - they are so cute!! I definitely know very little about vehicles!! I can put gas in mine but that is about all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute with the toilet paper roll eclipse! How creative!
    Swimming is an excellent skill to have! Enjoyed your answers

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know one could have so much fun with a toilet paper roll. I'll have to try that! Happy Hodgepodge to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was fun. I guess I wasn't doing the tp roll thing the right way last week. I may have to try again. LOL. I also use the Dollar Tree cards. But for special people like family members I get the $1.00 cards instead of the 50 cent ones. LOL CVS carries Hallmark cards, and I love to look at them, but can seldom justify the cost anymore. It's sad. People don't always appreciate how special those cards are, and they just throw them away after they are done looking at them. So I don't spend too much money on them anymore. But what DO you do with cards? I have drawers stuffed with them...need to do something meaningful with them. Banana nut bread is the best thing to do with bananas. I have lost my love for them. They have to be almost green for me to eat them. Hope you have a great rest of your week. I don't get to go to many sales anymore either. Hubby doesn't enjoy them and I really don't have anyone else to go with. Just as well. I don't need to buy anything else. I need to HAVE a sale and get rid of a lot of stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to hang onto cards, but realized there were few containing a personal note and sent them all to the trash. My former husband used to make my cards our of colored construction paper and his own verses. (Yes, I still have them.)

      Delete
  16. Hahaha on the toilet paper roll photos! Yes, Lakeland has a Hallmark store but it's been well over a year (maybe two) since I was inside it. I buy cards at Dollar Tree or Dollar General. And yes to swimming and auto maintenance. Good ones! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where mine come from. I nearly gasped when Tom bought a Hallmark card last year for $7+.
      xo

      Delete
  17. I like craft festivals too! I know nothing about cars, but that is a good idea. I read about the toilet paper rolls. I like the one with your fur baby!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love those "moon" photos! I haven't tried that but I did have Andy take that picture of me using the backup camera of the car and my iPhone. I almost never take selfies, but that one seemed like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you did! (You may have started something ....)

      Delete
  19. Second chances__absolutely. I have a sampler in my kitchen that says "Oh God of new beginnings and second chances. Here I am___Again"

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks like a barrel of fun to do. I may have to try that!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can tell you that I need to know about all of our accounts, etc. Mark does all of it except for two accounts that I have. Yes, swimming is a good answer too. Yes, Hallmark does still exist. I was in one in Montana. However, I don't have any close to me now but I order online all year long. I agree about second chances, it depends what they did. Love your random. I know Sandra enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I liked your answers. I also love gift bags...Your answer about second chances is also true. I don't know that there is a true "right" answer for this one because I think it all depends.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Trying to get back in the right mind set. LOL Banana? My always favorite is loaf bread, lots of mayo and sliced banana. The Banana Sandwich.
    We always enjoy coming here to your house. We love your side bars and I smile at the furbabies, they are much prettier than my part time puppy, but the do favor a lot.
    Love you lady, hug that SAXY dude,,,,.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!