Hotel California
Let's see what Crazy Sam has up her sleeve this week, shall we?
I'd love to hear your answers ... you can play along HERE! (No rules ... just right!)
In this song, Don Henley called the hotel's front desk and asked, "Please bring me my wine." He was told they haven't had wine since 1969. When did you last have a glass of wine?
Two nights ago.
I enjoy an affordable 'Barefoot' Cabernet Sauvignon.
Somewhere between pretentious and screw-top.
The lyrics refer to wine as a 'spirit.' this is incorrect. Wines are fermented, not distilled, and have a lower alcohol content than spirits. When "Hotel California" was popular, listeners who were into wine called radio stations to let them know about the mistake. Are you a wine aficionado? Are any of your friends or family knowledgeable about wine?
Years ago I thought it might be fun to learn more.
It wasn't long, however, before deciding, "I don't care that I shouldn't order red wine with fish, or white with steak."
It still cracks me up to remember my last boss -- an egoist -- expounding to a group of people about the difference between a merlot and Cabernet. Even with my sophomoric education, I knew she was wrong, but no-one ever dared to contradict her.
In the song, Henley sings about looking for the door that will take him 'back to the place I was before.' Don says that refers to a loss of innocence and a longing for a simpler time. When you think about 'the good old days," where does your mind wander?
Mid-1970's - 1988.
"Life was beautiful then..."
With five #1 singles, six #1 albums and six Grammy awards, it's generally agreed that the Eagles were one of the most popular groups of the 1970's. Which decade produced most of your favorite songs?
1970's
The Eagles were formed in 1971 when four of them happened to find themselves hired to play back-up for Linda Ronstadt. The men found they really hit it and off and wanted to keep working together when the gig with Linda was up. Tell us about how you met someone important in your life.
The Eagles are still on the road, filling big arenas for the Long Goodbye tour. One explanation for their enduring popularity is that their music spans genres. They scored hits on the rock, pop and country charts. Other popular categories of music include classical, gospel, jazz, Latin, reggae, New Age and rap. Which do you listen to most often? Which did you listen to most recently?
I love what Sean Dietrich has to say --
In 1976, when 'Hotel California' was topping the charts, the trend in home decor was vibrant. Intense copper, bright pink and vivid avocado were among the popular colors for bath towels, mats and shower curtains that year. If we were to peek into your 2024 bathroom(s), what colors would we find?
Handbags were big in 1976. Not just in popularity but in size. Purses routinely had compartments on the inside and pockets on the outside. When you leave the house, do you travel light? Or do you prefer to carry a lot with you?
I've tried to downsize, but it leaves me feeling anxious.
No, I'm a "just in case" type.
My former boss used to call it (my) "diaper bag."
Random: How different is your life today than it was a year ago: (a) a lot; (b) a little); (c) not at all.
I'm less stressed, but still a long ways from complacent.



I'm with you about my handbag. I'm very much a "but what if I need this?" kinda gal.
ReplyDeleteWouldn't we be all set if Monty Hall (Let's Make a Deal) were to ask?!
DeleteSame with the handbag...actually, I am having trouble filling space in my Coach bag, LOL. Have a beautiful day friend.
ReplyDeleteSweet! (That bag, I mean.)
DeleteHuge fan of 'Barefoot' Cabernet Sauvignon here. Yum! For the white I like Woodridge Sauvignon Blanc. Both have lower sugar contents than most "sweet" wines which helps me stay in keto. I have a little glass of the evenings to relax.
ReplyDeleteThe handbag I have now has a secret compartment for my .32. I CC24/7 now even when walking the property (we have over 6 acres). I pray every day I'll never have to use one but it's there "just in case".
Autumn is my favorite season too.
Blessings from blustery Georgia! xx
Good to know! I'll have to check out the Woodridge ... just to surprise my liver. (lol)
DeleteNice bathroom
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your answers very much, but I really learned a lot from today's prompts.
ReplyDelete🤗
DeleteYears ago I gave up carrying a purse and changed to a backpack. There are times when I have everything but the kitchen sink in it.
ReplyDeleteJust in case, right?!
DeleteI am with you on country music. I loved the classic country. I am not a fan of what they are singing today. It doesn't even sound like country. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend! ♥
ReplyDeletehttps://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
I suppose Nashville's trying to widen their target demographic ... but it's still disappointing.
DeleteMy bathroom is called my Beach Room. It is blues and browns like the beach. I can get my beach fix every time I go in there. It's my favorite place to be.
ReplyDeleteMY house pretty much has a lot of the same colors in it. The carpet is light Brown, tan. And my furniture in the living room is blue. The drapes are brown too. All in all it's a comfortable room. In the kitchen I decorate with roosters so it is more colorful. I would say I like country music the best, but also loved rock and roll, especially Elvis Presley.
The old songs are often the best and have remained popular throughout our history. Hope you all are staying warm there, it is getting terribly cold here. They said on the news that the whole county is going to be affected by the arctic blast we are getting. If so, keep warm and safe. Love, ma
Oh, that sounds like a lovely retreat! I hope you'll be able to replicate that theme in your new quarters.
DeleteI sure do agree with you on country music, it's just not country anymore, Mr D and I listen to country classics. I carry a purse that will hold all my 'just in case' stuff!! You never know when your out and about what you might need, I try to always be prepared!
ReplyDeleteExactly! I even keep a slightly larger 'bug-out' bag for those times we have to visit UAB.
DeleteI certainly remember Hotel California - - I was living in L.A. at the time.
ReplyDeleteWine? I'm not the fancy.type. Long ago I would just unscrew the cap and guzzle*smile*. I haven't had any wine in over a year. I don't have a craving for it, ever since I almost died last summer.
I used to enjoy making homemade wine. Perhaps someday I will.again....
How different is my life now from a year ago?
It has changed so drastically that mere words couldn't describe it. I seem to have been transported to a different realm.
I know you understand.
BTW- - country music is nothing like it used to be. Now it's deteriorated into faux cowboy sissy rock.
DeleteI totally understand, Jon. Thanking God you survived!
Delete"Faux cowboy sissy rock" is a great description!
Less stressed is good.
ReplyDelete🙂
DeleteWOW ... our answers do coincide. Mid 70s to late 80s were a good time. And my favourite musics was/is 60s and 70s, and old style Country like Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, David Alan Coe, Don Williams, Bobby Bare etc ...
ReplyDeleteI used to play Hotel California on the radio because it was seven minutes long for me to take a break.
Can't remember when I last had wine. They all taste the same to me. I Like beer as Tom T Hall said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOiyksNlrY0
God bless, Mevely. Wonderful post today. Thanx. Took me down memory lane.
Thank you, Victor; I actually had reservations about posting it.
DeleteOom-Pah-Pah! I wasn't familiar with that tune, but what fun a listen!
I do enjoy drinking wine, Myra. A relatively affordable one (not high end, but tasty) is Anthony's Hill cab. Let me know if you decide to give it a try.
ReplyDeleteCountry music is definitely my go-to, although I still like what is now referred to as "oldies."
Have a blessed weekend!
I'm going to give that a try, Martha. Thanks for the recom!
Deletethecontemplativecat here. The Eagles were very much part of our 70s and 80s. Hotel California was the best. Wine? Now and then, just doesn't taste the same anymore. Our kitchen, shag carpet, and curtains were an avocado/dark green. Our bathrooms were turquoise tile. Totally 70s. thanks for the memories.
ReplyDelete😄 - Yes, to all. Remember having to rake the rug?
DeleteYep, I'm a just in case type of person, too...at least if I'm going to be out all day. Thus, I lug around a lot of stuff that I've never used, but you just never know when something down in the bottom of the bag might save the day! I am with Sean in that I bare recognize some of the new singers as country. Sometimes the boots are the only giveaway!
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought about boots ... you're right!
DeleteYou know, I stress out when I carry a smaller purse too! Never thought of it that way, but it's true! LOL I still love the Eagles and I also agree with Sean on Country Music. Happy weekend, Myra! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteI guess we're not in their target demographic any longer. (*sigh*)
DeleteI haven't used a purse in years, I use a backpack instead. And if I only want to go to the store a few blocks away I put my credit card and driver's license in my pocket so I don't have so much to carry.
ReplyDeleteYou're the second friend to mention a backpack; I may have to try and see how it feels.
DeleteI have not carried a purse since I retired in 2006. a rare occasion i take one to ER hospital or doc visits. the just in case is in the console to my SUV. when i worked i carried a purse but most of the just in case was in the drawer to my desk. the purse was small.
ReplyDeleteI listened to 2 minutes of the song, and have never heard of it. in the 70's i was working two jobs, mother of 2 hellion boys, so not good years for me. i love 50's music best and classic country. the new country leaves me cold. I do like some of all genres, all of them. depends on the song. Harmony is my favorite sound no matter the genres. bob loves 20, 30 and 40s music and it makes me crazy. i can't listen to Sinatra, Crosby, and big band sounds.. he sings all those songs all day long. born in 1936, his parents played the sounds he loves all the time if they were awake. my parents played no music at all.
I hadn't thought about harmony, but ya. It always makes me stop and pay attention -- especially those 4-men (boys) groups in the 50's.
DeleteMy husband and I know NOTHING about wine. We rarely drink it - Mark loves bourbon and good dark beer (not chocolate or coffee) and I usually drink vodka.
ReplyDeleteBottoms up! 😊
DeleteGreat post! My 2024 bathroom has the same black and green tile (!) that it had when I moved to this apartment in 1991. Don't love it, but don't want to spend the money to change what's not broken. I've used pale green towels/white towels for years, but last year switched to grey -- Target's best -- and I'm really enjoying a slightly new look.
ReplyDeleteNice! Little things mean a lot, don't they?
Delete