Saturday, December 23, 2023

Christmas Eve eve

 

The Fat Lady Man's not begun to sing ... but he's warming up!



Hello, dear friends!


Our little family's never been one for traditions.  Nevertheless, from the time I read Shlomo's story in an old issue of Reader's Digest, his story has become mine.   I hope this 're-telling' touches your heart as it does mine.


Before I do, however ...
Congratulations, Terri (Your Friend From Florida)!  You're the winner of "The Christmas Conversation Piece."   I'm afraid Santa's sleigh has closed the boarding window -- but I aim for its arrival in time for New Year festivities -- however you choose to celebrate.



* * *

Of the narrow escapes my sister, Judith, and I had from discovery during our year in the orphanage, one stands out particularly. It was Christmas of 1944 -- a white Christmas, with snow falling outside, but warmth within from extra coal and larger food portions. We even had meat -- meat! A Christmas tree stood in the corner, and we children were seated on both sides of a long table nicely arranged with plates. We were singing Christmas carols, their simple and pleasant melodies totally out of context of the savage war that had been raging for six consecutive Christmases.


The pleasant feeling of food in our stomachs loosened our tongues, and contrary to the usual silence enforced during meals we were permitted by the sisters to converse quietly. Boys and girls were separated as usual, but Judith and I could see and smile at each other.

Then suddenly, the door opens and Mother Superior enters, accompanied by a German officer. Judging by his uniform he must be at least a general.


"Children," Mother Superior says, "the commander of the German garrison in Zilina is a devout Catholic, and he asked to spend the evening with you. He also brought you a nice present."


The present turns out to be a large chocolate cake. It is delicious, but I cannot escape an oppressive feeling. Even on this night must the Germans intrude on the tiny and shaky island of peace I have tried to carve out for myself? I notice, too, the tension on Judith's face as she eats her cake silently, her apprehensive eyes on Herr Commandant.


Again we sing some carols -- one of them "Silent Night, Holy Night," itself so close to a prayer.


When we finish there is a pause, and the commandant whispers something to Mother Superior. After a moment's hesitation she asks: "Is there anyone here who can sing 'Silent Night' in German? It will make our distinguished guest very happy."


Both Judith and I know some German; actually we had learned the German version of this song before the Slovak one. But should I now stand up and sing it for our enemy?


As I hesitate I see Judith slowly rise from her chair and walk toward the commandant. The decision has been made for me, so I stand beside her and we join our voices: "Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht ..." As we sing, the face above the medals becomes animated and involved in our performance -- the lips move together with our words.


Then suddenly Judith gasps and stops, terror in her eyes. She has suddenly realized what I, too, had feared: Why are we two the only children who know the German version? Where are the others? 


The answer is simple, and surely the German officer knows it. In this part of the land it is only Jews who understand German. 
The Commandant has trapped us -- he knows we are Jewish.


He motions to us to approach. It seems an eternity before he speaks. Then looking at us, he says softly: "Hab keine Angst, deine Mutter und Vater werden zuruck kommen" -- "Don't be afraid, your mother and father will come back."


For him, too, it was a silent night.





When I first shared Shlomo's story in 2008, I had no idea if his was a first or last-name - or any other information about he and his sister.  I then consulted Google and discovered a source document in a 1993 edition of the Chicago Tribune.

* * *




From our home to yours ...
Best wishes for a most blessed Christmas!

Hugs, Myra


31 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, Myra, what a touching story! It's one I'd never heard before, but will never forget. Perfect for Christmas time.
    Congrats to Terri!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this touching story from when you.first shared it. It doesn't seem so long ago. Holiday blessings to you and Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Not so different than what's taking place right now in Ukraine and Israel.

      Delete
  3. The perfect story for this eves, eve! I was holding my breathe thinking, I know Myra would not post a a sad story tonight of all nights, but I did think of the sad story of the baby Jesus and its ending. Congratulations Terri on you win. Merry Christmas Myra and it looks like my tiny blue Christmas tree has grown to full growth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this wonderful story, Mevely. I had never heard of it.

    With best wishes to you and your family this Christmas and always. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Victor. The link above's been corrected to show more of his backstory. Sadly, his father was murdered while at Auschwitz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH my, what a story, Myra! I've never heard it before, and it truly brought tears to my eyes. And then the postscript in which you said that the boy's father was murdered while at Auschwitz. That breaks my heart, but there were so many lives lost during that horrific terrible time. Such a sad time in history, and yet I fear history is repeating itself before our eyes if we are not awake and aware. Praying for Jesus soon "advent", this time to take us home with Him to heaven where there is no more sorrow or war.
    Merry Christmas my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard that story before. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you a beautiful Merry Christmas. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing that story. Very touching. Merry Christmas and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! Such a sweet story and great for now. Love from here. WE are in a motel we did see our son today he is well, we will see him again tomorrow. It is tough on us, but God is Good.
    The best to you I hope you get some skates for Christmas too!
    Love and hugs to you and whatshisname.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am late getting to my computer and blogs but am so touched by that story, Myra!! I am also so happy that my name was drawn for the gift you are sending!! I will look forward to it "next year"!! Thank you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, I found your blog! Now I'm a follower too.
    Thank you for the sweet words on my blog.
    Happy New Year!
    Pamela / Sparky xx
    redbirdacres.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember reading this story way back. Thanks for sharing it. Hope your Christmas was a good one. Take care, Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!