Thursday, July 13, 2023

Talking to myself


Last time we were here I cited Susan's, "Life is too short to ...." list and said I wanted to do the same thing.  

Like someone once said, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."  (or is that, plagarism?  I forget.)   

Anyway.  I started by making notes to myself, and here's what happened.  (Yes, Susan.  Two of yours are so good I borrowed them!)

In no particular order ....


Life's too Short to


  • Order the cheapest entree on the menu.

  • Sleep through a sunrise.

  • Finish reading an uninteresting or off-putting book hoping it will get better.

  • Buy the least expensive, gawd-awful toilet paper. 

  • Not go see the Grand Canyon at least once in your life.  Photography just can't capture the glory.

  • Apologize when appropriate.  And mean it.

  • Beg for someone's love or attention.

  • Eat fake (plant based) meat.

  • Not thank your server/cashier/bag boy.  Say.Their.Name!

  • Deny yourself the occasional sweet.

  • Beat yourself up about the gained pound.  You're not a super model. Are you?

  • Live in fear.

  • Put off the trip*

  • Save the cloth napkins for special occasions.

  • Wear shoes that hurt. I don't care how pretty they are.

  • Avoid making eye contact when someone's speaking to you  ("I'm bashful" isn't a good excuse.  This I know.)

  • Hide your smile.

  • Save those too-small jeans gathering dust.

  • Tolerate disrespect.

  • Believe a celebrity's endorsement.

  • Eat something you don't like just to be polite.

  • Play down your own birthday.

  • Lip sync.  (I can't hear you!)

  • Be afraid to say, "I don't know."

* (Unless there are family obligations or health needing attention)



What else would you suggest?  I'd really enjoy hearing your ideas.

'Til next time!

Hugs, Myra


23 comments:

  1. I love your list. Life is too short to...everything on your list, and also to never use the good china, BUT don't feel bad when you use paper plates instead. Sometimes it's better to just enjoy the company and not worry about how fancy everything is. Life is too short to keep putting off that trip you really wanted to take even though everyone else doesn't seem to feel your enthusiasm for it. If it really means that much to you, do it if at all possible. Life is too short to let "toxic people" create anxiety and fear in you. Life is too short for all that unnecessary drama.
    Those are just a few I came up with off the top of my head. I'm sure if I thought about it, I could write my own post about it...maybe later. LOL. This was good food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom wouldn't know what to do with himself if I hid his paper plates (lol). Casual works here!

      Delete
  2. I love those - I am going to copy and paste and send to friends. Love it and true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Pam... use the china - and the good silver!! I also agree with your list, though probably won't ever get to the Grand Canyon. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my mother's china service, but her silver's going to my granddaughter, Chloe. (And I couldn't be happier.)

      Delete
  4. A wonderful selection, Mevely. Thanx. Yes I agree with your list.

    I have a lot of paperwork to be done. Filing old papers, shredding those I don't need, etc .. etc ... Life's too short for that.

    Also learning to play the guitar. I've tried often and failed. Why can't they invent self-playing guitars? I would like to sing like Don Williams.
    You've heard my singing on my Blog. It's good ... but not quite Don Williams.

    Thanx for cheering me up today. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh on filing! I've 3 cases of files myself, but wonder sometimes if it wouldn't be wiser to digitize everything.

      Delete
  5. I am trying to think of something to add to the list, so far i am drawing a blank.
    I don't own any good plates/silver and have always used paper plates and cups when someone comes.
    I just thought of one, Life is too short to stay home because I hate traffic.
    Life is to short to say It's too hot, it's too manpy snowbirds. these 3 i do all the time.
    I like this post, will ponder upon it and see what will jog me out of the slug life I am living. AI is the most excitment in my life these days.
    I have lost my humor and sarcastic look at life. I need to find it again. your writing usually jogs it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always say life is to short to hold anger or grudges against any one. Forgive and forget, none of us are perfect. Hope you have a great rest of the week, I'm trying to make my own sunshine here with rain predicted for almost every day. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list you came up with. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fantastic list, Myra, and we'd all be wise to add these to our life's repetoire if they're not already there. I would add one more: Life is too short not to talk daily with God.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks. I may have to ponder my own list (and of course link to you as my inspiration).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see yours, Kathy! (I actually stole the idea from Susan K. at Contemplative Cat.)

      Delete
  10. Boy, we have learned some harsh lessons (in ref. to your list) these past 19 months. If only I knew then what I know now...sigh...ANYWAYS, great post my friend. I think that is my motto and it has been since Liam passed away, LIFE IS SHORT. EAT DESERT FIRST, USE THOSE CLOTH NAPKINS, USE THAT FANCY DINNERWARE ETC. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your last 19 months are a lesson to us all. Thank you for sharing them with us. Hugs!

      Delete
  11. This is awesome! I'm not sure what I'd add right now, but I'm thinking about it and it might just turn into a post of my own list. My only disagreement is the lip syncing...my singing is sooooo bad, that's all you're going to get. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. We don't own any fancy china or silverware, way too much trouble. And our apartment and furniture is getting more and more run down but life is too short to spend it on things like that. Andy and I both have our own projects, enthusiasms, and we spend our time on those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it. There's much more we should do to improve our home -- but our Wants presently trump that. And I'm okay with that!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!