Thursday, October 6, 2022

Life Goes On

 



Yes, it does!   Seeing 'October' on my calendar is messing with my mind -- but I'm loving the cool early morning temps.


It's been a good week for unaccustomed - but enjoyable - 'girl time.'  Coming up on the one-year anniversary of Tom's health nightmare, made me realize I've been teetering on the verge of becoming a recluse. On Saturday morning I enjoyed a belated coffee date with Kathy, then introduced her to my guilty pleasure -- Main Street Vintage Marketplace (aka, 'Cool Junk.').

 

So true!

A rag tree?  I'm speechless!
Especially reading the price tag $42/pair.


After Bible study, Deborah invited me for lunch at Front Porch Grill.  Their food's mediocre and I don't understand its popularity -- but I enjoyed getting to know her better, learning how much our beliefs align.  


๐Ÿ‚


Oh my gosh, y'all!  You'd have been rolling on the floor watching Tom and I setting up his new toy.  Thanks to Anne (Cooking and All That Jazz), I learned Alexa can be used as an intercom.  When 'her' little sister (Echo dot) arrived, I couldn't wait to set them up.  No more walking out back and banging on Tom's shop door to ask if he's ready to eat, wandering out in my night clothes to say goodnight.

Sounds good in theory.  Picture technophobic senior citizens at their wit's end.  In spite of ourselves, we managed. They work like a charm.  (Much to the dogs' consternation, lol.)   Since we already subscribe to 'unlimited jukebox' Tom can sit out there, bee-bopping to his heart's content.


๐Ÿ‚


I can't believe I'm using 'pleasure' and dental visit in the same sentence, but that's exactly how I felt about this morning's appointment.  Apprehensive!  I don't exactly hate the dentist but hadn't been in more than 4 years.   Finally, I grew so disgusted by my appearance I searched online and made an appointment.  Walked in, fully expecting the usual 'tsk-tsk' or another condescending lesson in flossing.  Nope!  The middle-aged cleaning lady was friendly and chatty.   When the dentist came in, he said, "Hi, I'm Steve!"  (My jaw may have dropped a little: "Huh?")


๐Ÿ‚



So, I finally got around to making the caulimash using (oooflavorings) mashed potato drops. Son and Lois are coming for dinner Saturday.  She, too, is doing Keto so I wanted to pair the roast with low-carb sides.   Have to admit, the result was pretty darn tasty -- in spite of my forgetting the Greek yogurt and using cream cheese instead.   I won't go so far as saying it tastes just like momma used to make, but neither did it scream, "Cauliflower'!


๐Ÿ‚



Here's a couple images that make me smile

Sister, you look good enough to eat!

Mommmm!



Well, it's going on wine o'clock.

Y'all sleep tight ... don't let the bedbugs bite!  Talk soon!



Hugs, Myra












32 comments:

  1. That rag tree was expensive! Looks like a tomato cage with strips of cloth tied on it. Heck I could do that! I certainly wouldn’t sell it for that price!

    Your poodle dogs are adorable. Smart dogs. They make good comfort pets. Used to know a disabled lady who had one named Alice. She was able to open the refrigerator and other doors that our friend couldn’t.

    I hope you have a nice evening

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an idea. So many creative things. I could use some sweet dogs like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a mess ... yet they light up our lives.

      Delete
  3. Glad you were able to get out and about and enjoy some girl time!! Gosh, I have three Alexa devices in the house (only 2 are plugged in now) and never knew they could be intercoms. Son of a gun! I am sure I would love that Marketplace! One of these days, Myra... xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea of the intercom sounds good. Boys just must have a play house.. I do miss mine when we are on the road, but I can deal with it. LOL
    Love the pictures of your girls.
    My girl gets some girl and boy time most Mondays when we are in NC. Members of her graduation class meet most Monday mornings for breakfast, coffee and memories.
    Love from Central Florida, Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack! It doesn't take much to amuse me, but I'm really taken with the intercom.

      Delete
  5. I went to the dentist today, too. Also expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised. Caulimash? Potato drops?? Do tell!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking! Here are links to both the mash and flavor drops:

      https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/instant-pot-mashed-cauliflower/

      https://www.oooflavors.com/products/mashed-potato-flavored-liquid-concentrate

      Delete
  6. Wow, you go girl for making that caulimash! I had thought about it before but never brave enough to take the plunge! Glad you got some girl time too! So important to do so! LOL about the intercom but ingenious I do believe! How sweet with the picture of Gracie and Macie trying to cuddle together before they decided maybe that wasn't a good idea, lol :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! If the 'mash' wasn't so stinkin' easy I probably wouldn't have mentioned it (lol).

      Delete
  7. Good news that Tom is well. Praying for you all.

    Using Alexa as an Intercom is a great idea. Just hide it somewhere and make ghostly noises when you have guests staying overnight.

    God bless always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a funny, great idea! Unfortunately, our dogs would probably have a stroke.

      Delete
  8. Finally finding time to comment. Cray Cray here.. Hubby going in for surgery in Nov/Dec for stents in his legs. Want to tell you I loved this post. Cool Junk is right up my alley. I did not know Alexa could be used as an intercom. Definitely going to have to figure out how to do that. Thanks for the insight. The pups are adorable. I need to go to dentist . I have a toothache. but sitting through a lecture and the snarky remarks is more than I can handle with everything around here being cray cray. Loved hearing your experience worked out for you. thats fabulous. Maybe there is hope for me. Wink Wink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to 'see' you, Terre! Ya, I found the intercom directions right there on Amazon -- but the videos were actually more helpful. Prayers lifting for your hubby's upcoming surgery!

      Delete
  9. Good Morning. I think Covid made a lot of us apprehensive about not going out. I do have one friend who is still inside all the time unless we sit outside in a mask.
    Gosh I am techno-no savvy. I hate new devices - lol.
    Glad you went and enjoyed (?) the dentist.
    Love your two pups.
    Good to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandie! I, too, resist new technology. Don't even get me started on instruction manuals!

      Delete
  10. Oh my, I love my Alexa but didn't know about using it as an intercom. Course there is no one here but me so I'd have to reason to have one. I do like having Alexa to talk to though. There is nothing like going out for lunch with friends. it sounds like you definitely have a new one. I started going to lunch with a group from our class reunion that try to keep in touch and am enjoying that. Hopefully all of those medical crisis are now on their way out the door. Enjoy the cooler fall air. It is downright cold here. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful you're still in touch with former classmates! Alexa is quite the conversationalist, isn't she? Pleasant!

      Delete
  11. You are definitely more advanced technologically that we are. We don't even have Alexa! Good for you! I have a dentist appointment at the end of the month and a oncologist appointment. Can I just say Yuck! I hate going to the dentist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll be holding you in my prayers, Cathy. These people (dentist) are so different than what I've experienced before -- kinder and no lecturing. 'Still don't know if I can bring myself to call the doc by his first name, tho'.

      Delete
  12. Such cute puppy pics, Myra! Thanks to Danny, this house is fairly technically savvy. Notice, I said Danny, not me!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wrote a long comment and then it disappeared. Glad you got out of the house. The Alexa thing is very interesting. The girls look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a fun post. That rag tree is funny...kind of a "Raggedy Ann" thing I guess. Girl's time out is a good thing to do now and then. I haven't done that in a long time. Hubby doesn't like to be left out of stuff...well, I did go to that tea party last weekend,. I guess that would qualify as a girl's time out big time. I forgot about that already! Your dogs are so cute. Our grandpups Sugar and Spice are a lot like that. They just eat each other up...something about the ears they just love to tug on each other's ears. Crazy. The Alexa intercom sounds good. We don't have one here at home. There is one at Dixie Cottage that we just use for background music. I don't want anything at home listening in on our conversations. Big Brother knows too much already. LOL. Hope your dental issues are all painlessly doable. I haven't been in a long time either. Not since covid. Not in any hurry either. I can still chew and smile just fine. LOL. Have a blessed day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's what counts!
      Oh, if BB is listening through the Alexa, I'm afraid he'd die of boredom. What can I say, we're old!

      Delete
  15. I'm glad you had fun getting out, and I love the intercom idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Grinning...you always make me smile. I hope you have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!