Grateful that we got Tom's hearing aids back from the VA yesterday ... I no longer have to raise my voice in succeeding octaves.
Feeling let down. Remember that book I was so excited about last week? It started out like gang busters; I loved the characters; I could see their faces. Then towards the end, I don't know. The ending (to me, anyway) was predictable.
I'm curious: When this sort of thing happens, do you give the author a second chance, or do you strike out in a new direction?
Intrigued
Thank you, Anne H. for your mention of oooflavors! A direct supplier of FDA-approved flavorings, I feel like the proverbial kid in a candy store.
Thank you, Anne H. for your mention of oooflavors! A direct supplier of FDA-approved flavorings, I feel like the proverbial kid in a candy store.
To-date there's more than 400 flavors, but this one sent me scurrying down the rabbit hole!
0 Carbs? Yesssss!
I'm not crazy for potatoes -- but I'm sorely tempted.
Pondering what Keto-friendly food texture would most closely mimic the real thing? Unflavored yogurt, perhaps?
Gingerbread, anyone? Perhaps a sugar cookie?
Pretty sure these will make their way into a Christmas stocking!
Finally, I'm remembering something Jack posed a while back: Referencing favorite quotes, he asked if his readers had any cemented in our memory banks.
Yes, I love quotes ... poems, prayers. I find that a phrase -- even a few words -- will resonate deeply. When I least expect it, the words usher in a host of feelings.
For instance?
".... old floorboards that squeak with stories."
- Sheila Walsh
Like Jack, I'm going to start including them at the conclusion of my post every now and then. Does this sound like something you'd like to do, too?
Let's chat soon!
Hugs, Myra





So glad about Tom's good news.
ReplyDeleteI like quoting myself because it adds that certain je ne sais quoi to my conversation which I don't know what it means!
How about that for a quotable quote?
What does one add potato flavour to? Mashed potatoes?
Is it my imagination or are too many things not tasting as they used to when we were young? Licorice for instance. Today licorice sweets taste like burnt sugar. Also tomatoes don't taste like they used to. They are no longer tomatoey in flavour.
God bless, Mevely & Tom.
Ah, that irresistible mystique!
DeleteTom's right there with you about today's tomato crops, but neither of us are fan of licorice. More to ponder!
It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look. To affect the quality of the day—that is the highest of arts.
ReplyDelete—-Henry David Thoreau
Good one!
DeleteInteresting post. So glad Tom can hear you now! "Can you hear me now?" Remember that commercial. (what was it for? Verizon? I don't remember!) I'm not sure about all those flavorings...can they really be as good as the real thing? I don't understand KETO dieting. I guess if you have to add flavorings to make things taste good, I don't want to try it. LOL. But regarding potatoes, not sure about mashed, but someone said you can roast radishes and they taste like roasted potatoes...I haven't tried it yet. Interesting quotes? Hmmm, I'm fresh out. I have a hard enough time remembering what I was going to say, let alone what someone else said. LOL. There, you can quote me on that! LOL. Have a great night my friend.
ReplyDeleteVerizon, yes! I can still see that bespectacled spokesperson. Keto? The idea is for you to get more calories from protein and fat and less from carbohydrates. Occasionally, however, I like to break the rules. LOL
DeleteThose of us on the giving and receiving end of the hearing impaired, understand the joy in good aids...
ReplyDeleteWhen a book starts dragging its heels and I have to work to stay there, I leave.. But yes I will give an author another shot.
Love the quote.
And many just hang in my head. and appear at odd times also.
Take care be safe, we are staying dry here, with much rain...
Sherry & jack
I know you (and Sherry) understand the challenges of hearing loss. Thank you for writing of your own experiences; they've certainly been a help to this impatient spouse!
DeleteIt's a blessing that Tom can hear you again. Shouting and misunderstanding are extreme annoyances.
ReplyDeleteAuthors can sometimes be disappointing, but I'm willing to give them a second chance
Quotes, poems, and even prayers can have a major impact. Few words can be surprisingly potent.
Sorry, but I'm not excited when it comes to artificial food flavorings. I prefer to enjoy real, tasty, genuine foods that don't require enhancements.
I don't normally crave sugar-based food, but I want to give a few of these a trial run just for fun. Stay tuned!
DeleteVictor is right. Tomatoes from the store have absolutely no taste, and licorice tastes like plastic. Perhaps we do need flavor enhancers......
DeleteHooray for the new hearing aids! Those flavors sound interesting! Carbs... my one weakness! LOL
ReplyDeleteAnd why'd they have to be SO GOOD?!
DeleteQuotes, poems and prayers speak to my heart, too, Myra, and I do like to share them in my posts when they fit the narrative. So happy to hear that Tom got his hearing aids back, and they are working for him. My mother suffered from hearing loss, and my sympathies are with you as we long for a loved one to be able to hear us.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the rest of your weekend!
Thank you, Martha! Your poems never fail to touch me.
DeleteThose flavors are interesting, Myra. I'm not sure I would want to try them though. I do like my potatoes, not sure a flavor of it would suffice, lol. Wonderful news about Tom's hearing aids!! I bet it was a relief not to have to shout a little bit to be heard. That is disappointing about the book. I go either way with authors. Sometimes I'll try another book by them. I like the idea about ending with a quote. I have been trying to write down quotes I like since I can't seem to remember them. I might add them down the line to the end of my posts :)
ReplyDeletebetty
I've a little 3-ring journal right here on my desk for special quotes (etc.) -- if I'd just get around to printing and pasting them!
Deleteabout 2nd change for authors, I do give them one but only because i used kindle free books and the library. If I were buying the book I would not. that is why I pay 10 per month for Kindle unlimited. for less that the cost of one book, i can read 3 a week or stop midway. the book I read The Water Keeper I could not put down. some reccomended another book, same author and the writing was good but the subject matter made me stop half way through. I would not say the book was bad, I just don't like stories about people who crash land and are trapped for months in snow and ice. subject matter matters to me along with the writing skills. hard to reccomend books because what one loves the other doesn't. I have to agree about the 1/2 way thing in this book you just read.
ReplyDeleteReading preferences are so subjective, aren't they? I just began The Water Keeper last night.
DeleteThe flavors of fall have to be some of my favorites, gingerbread included. So nice Tom can hear you once again. What a blessing ! I'm spending the day today remembering our fallen heroes and all the people of service to our country on 9/11. God Bless America! Love, ma
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, I couldn't bear to turn on the television this morning. Each year I think, "I'm not going to cry" -- and each year I fail miserably. No regrets!
DeleteGrinning...we were somewhere yesterday, and the customer service was awful...anyways, my husband said to the person, "Your tip is, don't eat yellow snow." I about fell out, LOLOLOL. SO, YEAH....I'm in for the quotes.
ReplyDeleteToo funny! I'd have loved to see his/her expression.
DeleteI love that quote from Sheila Walsh. As far as giving the author another chance...I guess it depends on what the other books might be. If they sounded interesting enough, I'd probably give another chance.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Cathy!
DeleteKind of unrelated but in the Sprouts market today the cashier said my total was $18.29. I said I wonder if that was a good year? She got a kick, said she has made remarks like that to younger people who do not get it but older ones always do! DUH! We're cooler, that's all there is. I love quotes and poems. You know as I young lady Fulton J Sheen was such a good role model for me. He has many beautiful quotes. I recently copied Christina Rossetti's poem, A Better Resurrection. I like to randomly send them to people. I have a poem hanging on my bedroom wall near my bed. It is The House on the Side of the Road by Sam Walter Foss. It touched me the very first time I read it. I just love poetry. I can not imagine who wants potato flavored additives. haha if I can not have the real thing, I want nothing. Not a fan of cauliflower
ReplyDeleterice, it is so gassy. U G H ! Not a fan at all. I am making Miso soup and trying to do a different approach to watching my calories. It has always worked best for me. Have a great weekend.