Saturday, June 4, 2022

More This n' That



It's another beautiful day in the neighborhood!


Speaking of which, thank you for your sweet comments on my glimpse of Chapman Road!   I was worried someone would come out and demand to know what I was doing, taking pictures of their house.



As mentioned, Janet and Andy haven't begun to build, but their burgeoning blooms and garden are giving old Joel's place a refreshing look!

I was at the computer early Thursday when Andy texted, "You awake? I've got something for you."



'Something' being ...
Nope, I'm not even close to being a country girl!  I'm letting Tom taste-test this first.



Despite the heat and humidity, a little later I took myself to a nearby estate sale where I found a 'like-new' handbag


and these oversize vessels

'Thought for sure Tom would say, "Why on earth do you want more coffee cups?"   Instead, he's like "Wow -- just the right size for a big bowl of ice cream!"   I was thinking cereal, but whatever.


In the words of one lady, "So much stuff!"   The house was immaculate, but wow.  There must have been a hundred or more articles of better clothing and shoes. (All petite, darn it!)  Enough tchotchkes, crystal animals and dolls to open a gift shop.  All largely ignored. Sad.


I'm naturally curious and couldn't help but eavesdrop:  I heard them say, before the resident's granddaughter came to take her back to California, the 89 year-old had fallen down her stairs 4 times!   Scary!  Still, I had to smile at a Hospice clipboard sitting side-by-side a jug of Dandelion wine!


Not sure if it's the anticipation -- discovering treasure I didn't know I needed wanted -- or what.  Right now, thrifting brings me a measure of joy; something we could all use more of!



Later that afternoon there came a cooling breeze so Tom and I drove over to Village Green.  The first of free Summer Concerts was taking place where we enjoyed bluegrass music and boiled peanuts.



More joy.  Wish you were here!


Hugs!
Myra and her copy editor, Macie Ann









 





  











 




32 comments:

  1. I laughed when you said you'd let Tom taste-test the tomato (?) first. It IS a tomato, isn't it? It looks rather dubious to me.

    I'm not very enthusiastic about estate sales, but you've managed to find a lot of nice items during your estate adventures. I like those coffee cups - they have an autumnal look.

    Adorable photo of Macie Ann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm first to comment this time??
      It's a miracle!

      Delete
    2. Yes, you're Number ONE! Macie-of-the-big -ears says, "Thank you!"

      Delete
  2. I refuse to go thrifting or buying anything that is not a necessity. I have more stuff than anyone could ever need or use. I need to be disposing rather than gathering. And as I typed this I just remembered I ordered 4 outdoor cushions this morning, so just go ahead and call me a big fat liar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Downsizing 4 years ago, we had to do a big purge. Two, actually. Nowadays I try to strike a balance between minimalism and cozy.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like fun to me! I enjoy "thrifting", but I have a limit on spending...and also the fact that I just don't have anymore room for anything else. Someday I'll be that little old lady who fell down the stairs and they'll be trying to sell all MY stuff! Yikes! What a day that will be! I hope I won't be here to watch. Glad you could get out and enjoy a free concert. And was that a fresh garden tomato??? There is NOTHING better in the world that a tomato fresh from the garden! Once you taste that you will NEVER buy another tomato in the grocery store. I rarely if ever do. If I can't get them at a farmstand, I just don't buy them. I wish I could grow my own, but I just have never figured it out...timing is everything. Well anyway, I hope you do taste that tomato...a big old lettuce and tomato sandwich is the best thing ever, when it is a fresh tomato!! Some people don't even bother with the lettuce. Just mayo and tomato. I prefer mine on toast, not soggy bread, unless it is homemade white bread...now you are talking... Oh I have to stop this or I'll be wanting that... bye for now dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me, sista! If, like yesterday, I spend $8, that's a Big Deal. I've spent more on a burger and coke -- and enjoyed it less. My cupboards are full, too; something's gotta give (lol). One of these days I'm going to try a mater sandwich; until 9-10 years ago I wouldn't touch a tomato with a 10' pole!

      Delete
  4. I can tell you from personal expericne that the ugly tomatoes taste the best. until pandemic, walmart sold the brand ugly tomatoes and they were and I loved them. i do like those big cups and would eat cereal of soup in them. be sure you don't drink that much coffee at one time. LOL.. I say if you find something that makes you happy that is what you should do...each of us finds that in a different place. I do love to take photos of houses and have often thought I wonder what they think. I am in my car in case I have to RUN
    reminds me of the time at Walmart, there was a dog much like your Macee and left in a car, it was crying and barking and I was having a fit that someone could leave a dog in the car, death is imminent in FL even in winter months.
    I decided to go inside with the tag number so was standing there taking a picture of the tag, when I man yelled HEY what are you doing.
    I said no, What are you doing, do you know that dog can die in a few minutes in this heat? i was about to go in and have you paged and then call 911. Lucky for me he did not shoot me. I explained to him about heat and dogs, he was NOT happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOOD FOR YOU, standing up on behalf of that little dog. Don't quote me on this, but I think there's still a law in Arizona where you can't be charged for breaking a car window to save an animal or infant.

      PS - I'd be tempted to post his tag on FB ... public shaming.

      Delete
  5. That looks like a gardenia. Beautiful! Cute handbag and oversized vessels. They would work good for ice cream. Gosh, my great grandmother would make dandelion wine. The summer concert sounds like it was nice. Give Macie Ann a pat on the head form me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is ... thanks! I've only seen 4 blooms this year; our foliage took a real beating from April's storms. I only owned one purse, so this works well for casual days.

      Delete
  6. Just planted 11 small tomato plants. I hope they grow and I get some fruit. Normally I'm not successful. I just buy them from the supermarket and pretend that my plants are modern and they grow tomatoes ready packed.

    OK ... I really do not know what is boiled peanuts. Is that a sweet or candy? Over here we have peanut brittle; which is peanuts in a hard coating of sugar, butter and water - like a hard candy.

    I really like those super big cups. Great for soup, or hot chocolate, or ... whisky! Saves me having to get up for a second helping.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL on the cup-a whiskey!
      Boiled peanuts? All my life I'd see roadside signs throughout the Southeast -- but never tasted them until we moved here. I THINK they're harvested and cooked before fully maturing; maybe Jack can clarify?
      My mother used to make delicious peanut brittle and give away to friends and coworkers at Christmas.

      Delete
    2. Here you go: https://whatscookingamerica.net/history/boiledpeanutshistory.htm

      Delete
    3. Thanx Mevely. That's amazing. They are cooked and eaten in their outer shells. I never heard of this here in the UK. We learn something new every day.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that handbag and those cups/saucers/ice cream holders/cereal holders! I like thrifting with a purpose; currently I have no purpose to be doing it, lol :) I used to get a lot of grandson's clothes that way but now that he's older and has a say in what he wears I "let" his parents do the shopping :) How fun with the concert and the peanuts! That would be a great thing to do for summer fun!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Betty! Littles' clothing can certainly be pricey -- and they grow out of them so quickly.

      Delete
  9. Okay, since I do not have one plant out. (by this time I have 4-5 with tomatoes) my mouth was watering for a taste of that one. We are back in NC, good to visit. Love from here. We B busy resettling.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you can sneak one out of your neighbors' gardens'? I'm glad to hear y'all made it safe and sound!

      Delete
  10. PS: I do enjoy boiled peanuts but I don't know a thing about preparing them. I do know they must be boiled 'hours' to make them qualify as 'boiled Peanuts!'. :-O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually found the answer last evening and shared with Victor (above). Now I feel so much smarter - lol!

      Delete
  11. Grinning, you always make me smile. I hope you have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How nice to have tomatoes already. Here we've just begun planting our gardens. I can't wait until the farmers market vegetable stand open. They usually have fresh corn for the 4th of July. You find a lot of good sales to go to and I like the ice cream bowls. I haven't done much shopping here at all but something old always appeals to me more than the new. It's a lovely day in our neighborhood too and I hope to enjoy some time on the porch. I hope you have a relaxing Sunday ! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the first Village Green farmers market, but there's more in the week's ahead -- fresh is the best!

      Delete
  13. You did find some bargains, Myra - good for you! And don't be afraid of the blemished tomato. That happens when you grow them yourself without using pesticides, etc. Simply cut out the "bad" spots and enjoy!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Free concerts in the park!! Ours haven't started again but maybe this summer. Nice finds at the sale! Have a good week!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love some bluegrass music! I think cereal and/or ice cream would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that gardenia, wish we cold grow them here. I also love those colorful big cups.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!