Just a quick note to say Happy Friday, y'all!
Is anyone else counting down the days to Autumn? I've pretty much become accustomed to Alabama's humidity, but this year is sure trying my patience ... whew!
Tom's daughter, Nanette, flew in from Phoenix yesterday afternoon, and we're busy making plans for the next few days. Knowing us, much of that revolves around food!
Yesterday evening we attended another of Millbrook's free summer concerts in the park. Brandon Elder (former American Idol contestant) did a great job keeping everyone entertained. I didn't take a picture, but we enjoyed delicious nachos -- not with cheese, but sour cream and pulled pork.
Tom and Nanette
Church friends -- Deborah, Cindy, Sue.
Wow, I look like I just tasted something distasteful. LOL.
This evening we're meeting Troy and Lois for a riverboat cruise on the Alabama river. That's something Tom's been wanting to do for ages; just wish we'd planned a cooler time of year. Do I leave my make-up off, or wait for Mother Nature to do it for me?
More about that later!
Before leaving, here's a Flashback in honor of my dear dad. He's been gone 40 years now, and I miss him everyday!
Father's Day 1957
So touched knowing he kept this letter (and dime) I wrote him that same summer!


.jpg)



Touched my heart to know your dad kept that letter, a sure sign of his love for you. Looks like you're going to be a busy lady for a while, have fun and enjoy!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful touching memories of your young days and your dad and grandma.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your time with family and friends, even though it is a little too hot and humid.
Over here it is blistering hot. Very dry and burning hot. Weather warnings not to stay in the sun. I went out in the garden with a bottle of lemonade and the plants attacked me.
It is so hot… by the time I got home from buying eggs, I had twelve chicks in the bag.
Honest, Mevely. It is so hot here today … I saw a squirrel fanning his nuts.
God bless.
OH what a treasure trove this post is!! Love that Tom's daughter is here and you are having such good times together, even if it is so hot. Making memories is the best part. And those pictures of you and your Daddy, and the letter you wrote with the dime on it (wow!! so sweet), and you on Trigger...I love all of this so much!!! Precious memories!!! So glad they were saved for you to share with us now so many years later!! Enjoy your time with your family and make every minute count!!
ReplyDeleteI love your flashback. Hugs my friend. Regine
ReplyDeletewww.rsrue.blogspot.com
I'm touched by you and your dad. ❤️
ReplyDeleteI always always wanted a horse named Trigger. still smiling as I type of the dime for a watch. I loved to shop in the dime store and we truly could by lots of stuff for a dime, maybe even a watch back in the late 40's. I am off to look up Elder, i don't remember him. maybe it will be cooler on the river.. it is 99 here at 4:30 and They Say it willnot start to drop until after 10 am...
ReplyDeletefound him and remember him, his story and the song, now that i see him
DeleteLove your flashback photos. Have a wonderful visit. Enjoy each moment.
ReplyDeleteI love your photos and the memories that go with them, Myra. Enjoy your family this weekend!! Stay cool if you can. Miserable here!! xo
ReplyDeleteAww...what precious memories of your dad! Love that letter from little you. So sweet. We have free concerts here through the summer, too, and I'd love to go, but Tim's always in bed too early. I hope you enjoyed the river cruise. It's cooling off into the 50's here tonight and tomorrow night it's dipping into the low 40's!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you are having a great visit with Tom's daughter! Ick though with the humidity! Summer for you, right? What a sweet letter you wrote to your dad and how neat he kept it all those years!! Surely a blessing to look back on and cherish!
ReplyDeletebetty
I'm trying to enjoy every moment of summer and not wish it away. We have a break in the weather here over the weekend, we're only in the 70's and I'm loving it. It's a nice reprieve before we heat up again. So nice you have those nice photos and memories with your dad. Hope you enjoy the riverboat ride ! Love, ma
ReplyDeleteSummer concerts in the park are always relaxing - as long as the mosquitos stay away (I hate the bugs more than the heat).
DeleteA riverboat cruise sounds wonderful. I would have liked to join you (despite the heat and humidity).
The photo of you and your father is sweet - - and what a dramatic background!
I hope "Trigger" was more tame and agreeable than the horses that I encountered.....
You know I love the letter BEST and the fact he Kept it. Great pictures. The cruise sounds good too. Company here took a little too much out of this old couple. LOL.
ReplyDeleteWe did so enjoy the read AND OF COURSE the pictures. Loving the past and present family shots..... ;-)
Your letter was precious. Keep them all.
ReplyDeleteThe riverboat sounds fun. Happy Fathers Day to Tom. Missing our daddies at any age is hard. So I'm sending my message to heaven with yours.
ReplyDeleteWishing Tom, a Happy Father's Day, grin...so, did you put on the war paint or not? (Ducking) lololol
ReplyDeleteYou look so cute riding Trigger. I like all your pictures and I hope you get that boat ride.
ReplyDelete