Thanks, Joyce!
Is school back in session where you live? Is everyone in person or does your system still offer a virtual option? Are kids wearing masks?
Sorry, I've no idea. Yes, I believe Elmore County recently mandated masks for all students and teachers.
Something you still do 'old school'?
I write cursive. Gregg Shorthand, too. Oh, and I still put two spaces after a period. (Not sure what I'm talking about? Click here.)
One lesson you've learned in the 'school of life'?
Only one?
Something told me to re-visit Rick's blog for inspiration:
"When your life flashes before your eyes, make sure you've got plenty to watch."
(Anon.)
I'm also moved by something he posted back in October 2019:
"I squandered a lot of time in my youth. Had I understood at 20-years-old that time was my most precious asset, I like to think that I would have done a better job of managing my time. But that's time that has ticked.
These days I can almost hear my biological clock ticking. I'm thinking about changing the name of my to-do list to the "Things I Really Want to Do" list.
What seemed important when I was 40 seems frivolous at 68.
It's past time to stop letting time and energy vampires suck the essence out of my day. I'm past the point of fretting over things that mean less than diddly squat.
The memorial on my fridge reminds me that time is a treasure. I don't want the end to come with me lamenting that I thought I would have more time."
Rick passed unexpectedly only 9 months later.
I still miss his daily posts.
When you were in school did you pack a lunch or buy a lunch? Your favorite thing to see on the lunch menu or inside your lunchbox back in the day?
Most days I'd bring a sack lunch my mother prepared: Bologna on white bread with a shmear of butter oleo. Fritos for the win!
I don't know when microwave ovens became popular, but in 1968 one appeared in the high school cafeteria, alongside a vending machine containing wrapped sandwiches. The burgers were dreadful -- but that didn't stop me from buying them, if only to watch in awe as the shrink-wrap would swell up. Better than anything in Science class!
August is National Family Fun Month. Tell me something fun you've done this month.
Mine's a solo endeavor, but I'm having fun decluttering and selling out on eBay. When our home in Arizona sold faster than we thought, there was no time to purge. Tom recently commented, "You know, we spent a lot of money to move this stuff."
True, but I don't want my son to have to face this someday.
Insert your own random thought here.
More about e-sales. SMH at what's popular ... what's not. I didn't think the pig-in-a-pole (aka, Italian pottery plate) that one of Tom's clients gave us would garner much interest. Because neither of us liked it, it sat in a drawer the last 9 years. I listed it last week and not 24 hours later it sold for more than $100!
Who'd want my 1960-something Girl Scout sash? But they did.
Mostly, I've listed study guides and historic newspapers. Sure, all that news coverage can be found on line, but I think it's a hoot to look at the advertisements, the fashions.
I'm not getting rich, that's for sure. But given last month's car repairs and vet bills, it all helps!
Have you done business on eBay?
🤗
Thank you for visiting ....
I hope you'll come again!
Hugs, Myra



Oh yes, I have done business on EBAY. And we are gathering stuff to do so again. I often wonder those same thoughts (about leaving my son whatever)--and no way do I want him to go, "Seriously guys?" Oh wait, he already has, lol. In all seriousness, he knows a good buy when he sees one. I asked him the other day when we were in a Antique store what did he think about me selling the Green Depression Glassware and he goes, "You what? I want it, isn't that like my inheritance?" Oh boy. Grin...ANYWAYS, we are sifting through stuff as there is no way we are moving all this stuff again, just saying. The Green Depression Glassware stays, for now. OH and I had to laugh, he picked up (bought) a prewar blue plate from Japan for $5 (worth over $80). He proceeded to wink at me, LOLOLOL. I'm like, "Good catch, you learned well young grasshopper." LOLOL
ReplyDeleteWhen (where?) did you learn all this? I probably wouldn't have a clue.
DeleteMy mother and grandmother. Honest. smiles
DeleteNever done business on eBay. Curious to know ... do you advertise, collect and clear the cheque you receive, THEN send the item by post? Or does eBay do it for you and send you the money?
ReplyDeleteWhat is it with the two spaces after a period? Just finished editing books of sermons for Father Francis. He has two spaces after every period. I don't think my computer likes that. Took me ages to do the editing.
God bless.
I think eBay changed its policies a few years ago. Now, all that's necessary is to list it on their portal and eBay does the rest -- collects the $ and direct deposits to my bank account. (Less a nominal fee.)
DeleteThanx Mevely.
DeleteGod bless.
I remember Rick saying that everyday is a school day And I agree, we never quit learning no matter how old we get. I have never sold on eBay but did find some corn hole bags for my SIL's birthday once there. That was my one and only experience.
ReplyDeleteRick came up with some real gems, didn't he? I think he'd be pleased to have them retold.
DeleteGreat Hodgepodge today Myra! Enjoyed reading all your answers :) Rick was inspirational for sure! Time is something we can't buy back yet I know I squander a lot of it (but working hard to not be so wasteful).
ReplyDeleteGood for you for being productive on eBay. I did a lot of selling on eBay before we moved from Montana to Southern California. Great way to declutter. I also made quite a bit of money on Amazon then selling books, CDs, and videos. That was back in 2006 and I'm sure so much has changed since then. Glad you are doing good with it and enjoying doing it. My SIL sells on eBay. She goes to estate sales and yard sales, knows what people want to buy, gets them if she can find them and has a nice business on it. Do you find shipping stuff out to be a hassle?
School started here August 9th. I pretty much keep track of when it is starting since we live close to an elementary school and high school so traffic picks up when school starts back in. I don't think there are mask mandates but more like encouraged. Wee one is in kindergarten and a fellow classmate tested positive a few weeks back. Wee one had close contact with him so had to get tested (he was negative, no symptoms). Gonna be a strange year!
I loved shorthand in school! Still remember a few of the strokes :) And I think I'll always do 2 spaces after a period.
betty
Oh my word, I can't believe your wee one's old enough for kindergarten! I've listed a bunch of stuff but not actually sold but 8. I need to pay more attention to what people like your SIL are doing.
DeleteSo far, no shipping hassle - but I am going to invest in a small postal scale.
I'm eternally thankful that I went to school when the world was maskless and things were normal (or so they seemed).
ReplyDeleteI always put two spaces after a period. It's the only logical way to go. I never took shorthand but I was the fastest typist in my class.
(Alas, I now pathetically type with two fingers.... a computer keyboard is MUCH different than an old Royal typewriter).
I'm (very) ashamed to admit that the garage cartoon looks exactly like my garage. I'm ready to call someone and have it all hauled away.
Clutter depresses me immensely.
I learned to type on an old Royal!
DeleteTake it from someone who's been there -- be absolutely positively sure you want to part with your stuff. Regret's a bitter pill.
I enjoyed this -
ReplyDeleteI read Rick too - I like this quote you put from him -
"When your life flashes before your eyes, make sure you've got plenty to watch."
(Anon.)
Thanks, Sandie!
DeleteThere's a market for Girl Scout sashes from the 60's? Pity I threw mine out...
ReplyDeleteI never would have guessed!
DeleteI have been with ebay for years. Mostly a buyer although Jermey and Noelle had seller accounts. Noelle and I use to make lots of money selling Princess House. Now I am sad I sold it all. Yo can not get hand blown SMerican made crystal today. The import stuff is clunky and not very durable.I have been so consumed with household things I have neglected my blog. It is hard to get back into the swing of things. :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat great memories you made with Noelle! I have all my mother's Fostoria glassware, but won't part with it.
DeleteI am smiling. Loved the entry. Your answers always kick in memories. To be honest it was the cartoon of the STUFF that Dotted the i. Billy lives up the street. He is an interesting man. He was one grade above Sherry in school. He was voted 'Neatest Guy' by his classmates. His garage looks exactly like that one, TRUE ant there is no door to hide it. I love talking to Billy, honestly his has one tooth in his head and a beard (scraggily) about a foot long. He is not demented, but definitely has a loose screw. His son is a successful business man, he was our concrete man when I was in business. I just had to smile as your post ended.
ReplyDeleteAnyway yep, we too have shipped stuff and wonder WHY!
Hugs to the big guy.
PS I am starting to feel a little better.
How interesting, Billy being named 'neatest' and now look. Maybe that moniker felt too burdensome he went the other direction?
DeleteI'm so encouraged to hear you"re feeling better!
PS sorry for the mistakes, but still readable to someone who can even understand short hand I am sure. LOL
ReplyDelete😄
DeleteDon't sweat the small stuff. That's what I'd say.
ReplyDeleteGood advice!
DeleteMy mom had a glass powder container that set on the back of the toilet all my life. It was the one thing my oldest brother wanted when she passed. Well he passed in 2013 but his wife wanted it because he had wanted it, so I let her have it. I searched and found one on eBay. It’s not hers, but it reminds me of her every time I look at it. Look up Avon Persian wood beauty dust. Red and gold, circa 1957
ReplyDeleteTake care, Sheila
What a nice gesture, you letting your SIL have that container! I just looked it up on line! I don't recall ever having seen one, but it's sure pretty.
DeleteI never knew that about the 2 spaces. Thank you for sharing Rick's inspirations. Way to go on selling things on eBay. I just recently sent some things off to Salvation Army because I was to lazy to look them up. That's amazing what you sold.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Debby! Isn't that two-space thing so silly?
DeleteIf granddaughter, Lauren, hadn't taken the china I was going to list it but I don't really have anything right now to sell. You are doing well, it seems!! Another fun Hodgepodge! xo
ReplyDeleteThat's nice, Lauren wants to keep the china in the family. Honestly, I don't know anyone who still uses the 'good' stuff.
Delete"When your life flashes before your eyes, make sure you've got plenty to watch." I love it! ❤️
ReplyDeleteIsn't that great?
DeleteNoelle and I made some extra cash selling our Princess HOuse years ago. Makes me sad now, because the hand blown pieces can not be found in such beautiful high quality today. ;-( You sure made some good money. :-)
ReplyDelete😞
DeleteI haven't used Ebay in ages, Myra, but I'm glad it's working out for you. One man's trash is another man's treasure, right? And if you can pocket a few bucks in the process, why not?
ReplyDeleteYour quote from Rick truly resonates with me. I look back on my twenties with many regrets of wasted time on people and hopes. Those were the years before I truly came to Jesus. I give thanks, though, that God has forgiven my transgressions and made me new. He is remaking me each and every day.
Blessings, my friend!
I walked that same walk, Martha. I've many regrets, but remain eternally grateful He never grew tired of waiting.
DeleteI enjoyed this post so much, Myra. Not sure why...it just resonates with me. I did not know about "Rick", but went back to look at his blog. Sorry I missed out on him. So sad his time ran out, but nice his blog is still there to keep on speaking for him. That is something to think about...what we are writing now may out live us, so we need to think about what we are saying! I have never used eBay to sell anything, but have bought a few things. I guess I am not ready yet to let go. I will probably leave all this for our sons to figure out. It will be their great 'inheritance"...so I hope they will think about using ebay and make some money in the process. I'd rather keep enjoying my "treasures" while still here, although I do like to "gift" them to dear ones who I deem worthy from time to time. I don't know if they fully appreciate just how much love it takes for me to let go of these "treasures" and share them with them, but maybe someday they will. We don't have a garage, but we have a shed and it is overflowing. I keep telling hubby that's his responsibility. I have the whole house to think about. Two spaces after a period will always be a part of who I am. It was drilled into me by my teachers, especially the typing teacher, and I may have gotten a ruler tapped on my wrist for not doing things correctly so I do them correctly to this day. And I did enjoy shorthand but never needed to use it so it is long gone. My mother used to break out in shorthand when she'd write us letters, and it was always a challenge to figure out what she was saying. But her handwriting resembled shorthand anyway, so that was just a part of who she was, and I still treasure her letters, even if I can't always read them. LOL. Okay, I have taken up enough of your comment space. I enjoyed the comments above almost as much as your post. You have friends just as interesting and fun as you are! LOL. Have a blessed day.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Pam! I'm delighted my thoughts resonated. Yes, I suppose what we say here, the accounting of our days will help our children and grands know us a little better. (I'm not holding my breath, tho' ... LOL) I totally agree about some articles being treasures; ain't no way they're going on the auction block!
DeleteI am joining in on the decluttering and clearing out things we don't want or need. I don't want to spend the rest of my life worrying about ITEMS. I want to spend the rest of it enjoying every thing we can enjoy.
ReplyDeleteYes, exactly!
DeleteGreat answers. I haven't sold on ebay, but the store where I work ships a lot of things that people have sold on ebay.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kirstin!
DeleteI've bought off ebay a long time ago, but I have never sold anything.
ReplyDeleteIf it stops being fun, I'm sure I'll move on....
Delete